Author Topic: Is U2C serious? Help me make it make sense....  (Read 36013 times)

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
Re: Is U2C serious? Help me make it make sense....
« Reply #165 on: August 11, 2022, 10:44:54 PM »
That sounds pretty low capacity wise. What happens if larger vehicles become a modern mass transit preference? In a world where downtown was actually vibrant and people used mass transit, I wonder if an escalator-type solution would be scalable?
"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.” - Muhammad Ali

Charles Hunter

« Reply #166 on: August 11, 2022, 10:57:16 PM »
But the U2C is THE solution to all things transportation! It is so new it hasn't been invented yet!

Oops, it appears a JTA Spirit hacked me ... I'm back now.
Good points, Lake. Which means they will never be considered.

fsu813

« Reply #167 on: August 20, 2022, 06:19:41 AM »
Some interesting info about the Jax U2C mentioned in this article:
https://www.smartcitiesdive.com/news/jacksonville-florida-autonomous-shuttle-monorail-people-mover-transit-oriented-development/629612/

Sounds like a couple notable deadlines are quickly approaching.

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #168 on: August 20, 2022, 09:56:21 AM »
In the first quarter of 2023, implementation work could begin, but the Bay Street corridor won’t require major construction. Instead, work will consist of installing “cameras and antennas and lidar sensors and radar sensors at every intersection on Bay Street and throughout downtown Jacksonville,” he said.

I doubt anything begins in the first quarter of 2023 but this is good to hear that they are avoid major construction and change. Still crazy that it costs millions to turn Bay Street into a watered down AV pilot track.

The proposed Shipyards station along the corridor is one of the locations selected as a possible site for transit-oriented development. According to a plan posted on the JTA website, it would include a mixed-use waterfront district, a public plaza adjacent to the station and a 20-acre linear park.

But please stop with this wrong definition of TOD. Nothing happening at the Shipyards, Metropolitan Park, Lot J, etc. should be called TOD. What is going on around the stadium has nothing to do with transit. Just because we place a bus shelter next to it does not mean it immediately becomes TOD.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2022, 10:03:06 AM by thelakelander »
"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.” - Muhammad Ali

Charles Hunter

« Reply #169 on: August 20, 2022, 12:14:08 PM »
AVs "Robotaxis" in China

Baidu is currently testing its self-driving taxis in 10 cities across the country, and it just got approval to roll out fully driverless vehicles in the major metropolises of Wuhan and Chongqing.

In the capital, Beijing, where the company is based, a human is still required by law to sit in the front passenger's seat — but they haven't got much to do.
With sensors, radars and cameras mounted all over the car, a computer is fully in charge of navigation. Advancements in technology mean the latest models cost only about $37,000 — about half as much as the previous generation. The price drop is paving the way for mass production.

The Baidu service itself offers an experience similar to ride-share apps like Uber. You download an app to your smartphone, pinpoint your location and destination, and a car shows up. The difference, at this stage, is that Baidu customers must choose from a list of existing stops, sort of like bus stops, instead of just picking any specific location they may want to reach.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/china-robotaxis-self-driving-cabs-taking-over-cbs-test-ride/?ftag=CNM-00-10aab6i&linkId=177978291&fbclid=IwAR07Q24aD8HaFUHHJ0QWivr4EZoPWyb0CxeThMHXL2B_-41zJqgaHXc40-Y

jaxlongtimer

« Reply #170 on: August 20, 2022, 12:34:20 PM »
^LOL.  In China, if there is an accident with an AV, there will be nothing in the news. It will be like it never happened and those at risk will be none the wiser.  Not so here, so expect a higher standard of safety.

The improvements to Bay Street vs. to the AVs tells me that the AVs will be very limited to where they travel for the foreseeable future.  And, that's assuming even the "rigged streets" deliver the safety standards needed.

As to a Shipyard's station, other than the announcements for MOSH, Four Seasons and the fire museum, I don't see how such a station will facilitate additional development unless the jail, JSO and/or Maxwell House get bumped.  It does confirm my suspicion that the Bay Street project is another expensive bone being thrown to Shad Khan as he will be the main beneficiary of any benefits, if they ever happen.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2022, 03:23:56 PM by jaxlongtimer »

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #171 on: August 20, 2022, 03:06:38 PM »
It won't facilitate any more development than Uber or Lyft will. People are being sold fool's gold. I'm also of the believe that Khan's development plans aren't relying on JTA's dreams.