Author Topic: Artemis  (Read 9411 times)

BridgeTroll

• Global Moderator
  • The average person thinks he isnt
    • London Bridge Pub
In a boat at sea one of the men began to bore a hole in the bottom of the boat. On being remonstrating with, he answered, "I am only boring under my own seat." "Yes," said his companions, "but when the sea rushes in we shall all be drowned with you."

BridgeTroll

• Global Moderator
    • London Bridge Pub
In a boat at sea one of the men began to bore a hole in the bottom of the boat. On being remonstrating with, he answered, "I am only boring under my own seat." "Yes," said his companions, "but when the sea rushes in we shall all be drowned with you."

Charles Hunter

Re: Artemis
« Reply #17 on: June 29, 2022, 09:03:28 AM »
A launch from New Zealand to test the lunar orbit proposed for the Lunar Gateway

The NRHO will take CAPSTONE within 1,000 miles (1,600 km) of one lunar pole on its closest pass and 43,500 miles (70,000 km) from the other pole at its most distant point.

Mission engineers expect this orbit to be highly stable: Spacecraft shouldn't have to burn much fuel to stay in the NRHO, thanks to the balancing gravitational pulls of the moon and Earth, researchers say. This is one of the main reasons that NASA has tapped it for the Gateway space station, a key part of the agency's Artemis program of lunar exploration. Gateway will serve as a jumping-off point for sorties, both crewed and uncrewed, to the lunar surface. NASA aims to launch the core elements of the small moon-orbiting outpost in late 2024.

https://www.space.com/nasa-capstone-cubesat-moon-launch-success-rocket-lab?utm_source=join1440&utm_medium=email

BridgeTroll

• Global Moderator
    • London Bridge Pub
« Reply #18 on: July 21, 2022, 06:49:34 AM »

BridgeTroll

• Global Moderator
    • London Bridge Pub
« Reply #19 on: July 31, 2022, 07:47:12 AM »
The Moonikin mannequin is installed in the commander chair...

https://www.space.com/nasa-moonikin-artemis-1-mannequin-on-orion-capsule

BridgeTroll

• Global Moderator
    • London Bridge Pub
« Reply #20 on: August 05, 2022, 07:35:58 AM »

Charles Hunter

« Reply #21 on: August 05, 2022, 08:40:44 AM »
Ambitious mission.

BridgeTroll

• Global Moderator
    • London Bridge Pub
« Reply #22 on: August 16, 2022, 06:57:20 AM »

BridgeTroll

• Global Moderator
    • London Bridge Pub
« Reply #23 on: August 16, 2022, 07:26:00 AM »

Jason

• Global Moderator
  • I am the man in the box...
« Reply #24 on: August 16, 2022, 08:25:31 AM »
Can't wait!!!!

BridgeTroll

• Global Moderator
    • London Bridge Pub

BridgeTroll

• Global Moderator
    • London Bridge Pub
« Reply #26 on: August 23, 2022, 06:59:07 AM »

BridgeTroll

• Global Moderator
    • London Bridge Pub
« Reply #27 on: August 26, 2022, 07:51:14 AM »
Monday between around 8:30 and 10:30... I  may miss the launch as I will be on the west coast...sigh.  Snoopy is the only passenger...

acme54321

« Reply #28 on: August 26, 2022, 08:04:44 AM »
I was thinking about going down but now travelling for work next week.  High probability it won't go off on the first attempt anyway so there might be other opportunities.

I'm from Melbourne and while these little Space X rockets are cool and all they don't put on the same show that the shuttle did and definitely not what this thing is going to do.  This is going to be like the Saturn V, but with a lot more smoke from the SRBs.  The old timers talk about how much more impressive the Saturn V launches were than the shuttle too.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2022, 08:11:23 AM by acme54321 »

Charles Hunter

« Reply #29 on: August 26, 2022, 09:23:52 AM »
I'm wondering how visible it will be from Jacksonville or the Beaches.