Author Topic: New 'Anti-Mob' law, is it unconstitutional?  (Read 51801 times)

Adam White

• Facebook
Re: New 'Anti-Mob' law, is it unconstitutional?
« Reply #135 on: June 24, 2021, 03:00:57 PM »

Add to this people in their 20s account for 2 to 3 times more covid19 cases and.....

https://www.kff.org/coronavirus-covid-19/issue-brief/latest-data-on-covid-19-vaccinations-race-ethnicity/

Overall, across these 40 states, the percent of White people who have received at least one COVID-19 vaccine dose (46%) was roughly 1.4 times higher than the rate for Black people (33%) and 1.2 times higher than the rate for Hispanic people (38%) as of June 21, 2021.

Not sure I see the connection between your post and the topic. Seriously (not being awkward). Can you clarify?
“If you're going to play it out of tune, then play it out of tune properly.”

JeffreyS

• Demand Evidence and Think Critically.
« Reply #136 on: July 13, 2021, 07:33:05 PM »
Apparently it does not apply if the GOP approves of the protest.
https://www.nbcmiami.com/news/local/south-floridians-march-onto-palmetto-expressway-in-show-of-support-for-cuban-protesters/2494287/?fbclid=IwAR0HEls7fv2fz0ui-XIJyLwWi6OdzR_fYdCbd5VYHQxYyEGH2PWJxDmgYCg

I guess blocking the Miami freeway isn’t a problem.

The protesters in Cuba seem like they are a bit mobbish the way I hear conservatives describe who should be jailed.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2021, 07:36:10 PM by JeffreyS »
Lenny Smash

BridgeTroll

• Global Moderator
  • The average person thinks he isnt
    • London Bridge Pub
« Reply #137 on: July 13, 2021, 08:19:00 PM »
When they become violent and begin looting let me know... I  am surprised though that you want to incarcerate people who want to free the Cubans from decades of communist oppression...lets see how supportive my democrat friends are...
In a boat at sea one of the men began to bore a hole in the bottom of the boat. On being remonstrating with, he answered, "I am only boring under my own seat." "Yes," said his companions, "but when the sea rushes in we shall all be drowned with you."

JeffreyS

« Reply #138 on: July 13, 2021, 09:46:32 PM »
I don’t want them jailed I am pro protesters.
Lenny Smash

Charles Hunter

« Reply #139 on: July 13, 2021, 10:58:10 PM »
I don't want peaceful protestors jailed. But blocking roadways is exactly one of the things that Desantis' Anti-Riot Law is designed to stop. If there weren't selective enforcement, every one of the protestors on the expressway should have been arrested and held without bail until their bail hearings could be held.  And that's just one obvious violation of the Anti-Riot Law.  Who knows what other violations occurred that were ignored because the GQP likes what they are protesting about.

jaxoNOLE

« Reply #140 on: July 13, 2021, 11:23:23 PM »
Blocking a freeway to protest has always been illegal without a permit. I admit I haven't looked it up, but I doubt many (any) permits have been granted to protestors to block an interstate in FL.

It's just not practical to paddy wagon hundreds of people blocking a freeway. No law can change the fact that protestors almost always outnumber police on the scene. Use video,  identify as many lawbreakers as possible after the fact, and get misdemeanor bench warrants; though experience suggests it's simply not a priority for limited police resources. Peacefully obstructing a freeway should be a fine. Throw rocks or bottles...different story.

bl8jaxnative

« Reply #141 on: July 14, 2021, 09:18:34 AM »
Physically imposing your view - blocking the freeway - is a form of violence.  It's no longer a matter of mere words.

It's the kind of jack ass move that gets people killed.   

Charles Hunter

« Reply #142 on: July 14, 2021, 09:39:43 AM »
Physically imposing your view - blocking the freeway - is a form of violence.  It's no longer a matter of mere words.

So you agree that, if the Desantis Anti-Riot Law is to be equally enforced, the highway-blocking demonstrators in Miami, Tampa, Orlando, and Jacksonville, should have been arrested? Could it be that the content of the protests (against the commies in Cuba) influenced the application of the law?

BridgeTroll

• Global Moderator
    • London Bridge Pub
« Reply #143 on: July 14, 2021, 10:44:48 AM »

Meh... no it isn't...
In a boat at sea one of the men began to bore a hole in the bottom of the boat. On being remonstrating with, he answered, "I am only boring under my own seat." "Yes," said his companions, "but when the sea rushes in we shall all be drowned with you."

Zac T

« Reply #144 on: July 14, 2021, 11:18:34 AM »
I'm a Democrat and I also support the right to protest and do not think the demonstrators yesterday should be arrested or punished. They didn't do anything harmful except add an hour or two to people's commute.

With that being said, the demonstrations yesterday show just how pointless this new law is. These were the first real protests since this law has been enacted and they violated one of the major provisions in the law (blocking roadways) and the police did nothing and the governor dodged a question about how they should have been treated. What exactly was the purpose of the bill if they are not going to enforce it other than pandering to right-wing voters ahead of a possible presidential run?

The only beauty of it is that any violators of the law in the future are effectively immune to punishment due to selective persecution.

BridgeTroll

• Global Moderator
    • London Bridge Pub
« Reply #145 on: July 14, 2021, 11:44:24 AM »
Let me know when they begin burning and looting... I will agree with you if nothing is done then.  This is a peaceful protest... nothing more... at this point.

Zac T

« Reply #146 on: July 14, 2021, 11:57:14 AM »
Let me know when they begin burning and looting... I will agree with you if nothing is done then.  This is a peaceful protest... nothing more... at this point.

If they start rioting, they will be arrested. Rioting was already illegal in Florida prior to this law and will remain illegal even if the courts strike down the bill. The only difference is what constitutes a riot, who gets punished, and the level of punishment you receive. But I agree, these were peaceful protests and I'm glad they were treated as they were.

BridgeTroll

• Global Moderator
    • London Bridge Pub

JeffreyS

« Reply #148 on: July 15, 2021, 07:20:01 AM »
so I wonder why DeSantis didn’t sign a bill that expressed a sentiment more Like that. Blocking roadways was supposed to lead to arrest luckily selective enforcement exposes his law as the political pandering it is.
Lenny Smash

MusicMan

« Reply #149 on: July 15, 2021, 08:03:37 AM »
Lets be honest, if a BLM get together shut down I 95 lots of people would have been arrested.