Author Topic: New 'Anti-Mob' law, is it unconstitutional?  (Read 51993 times)

itsfantastic1

Re: New 'Anti-Mob' law, is it unconstitutional?
« Reply #75 on: May 12, 2021, 10:33:52 AM »
No, the laws target childish numpties who go out into the street and throw a fit cuz they're not happy.

This country is plagued by people the mentality of a toddler, constantly wanting attention for doing nothing.  Pathetic.

AFAIK, everyone has a right to express their dissatisfaction in the streets. And if it bothers you that people want attention for doing nothing, you could always just...not give them attention.

Fairly certain this nation was founded by "childish numpties" who "threw a fit" because they were "unhappy"

Adam White

• Facebook
« Reply #76 on: May 12, 2021, 10:36:48 AM »
No, the laws target childish numpties who go out into the street and throw a fit cuz they're not happy.

This country is plagued by people the mentality of a toddler, constantly wanting attention for doing nothing.  Pathetic.

AFAIK, everyone has a right to express their dissatisfaction in the streets. And if it bothers you that people want attention for doing nothing, you could always just...not give them attention.

Fairly certain this nation was founded by "childish numpties" who "threw a fit" because they were "unhappy"

Exactly! And when they got around to doing it, they made sure the right to do so was protected.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2021, 10:40:57 AM by Adam White »
“If you're going to play it out of tune, then play it out of tune properly.”

BridgeTroll

• Global Moderator
  • The average person thinks he isnt
    • London Bridge Pub
« Reply #77 on: May 12, 2021, 11:54:31 AM »
No one... no where... has said a single thing about limiting our right to peaceably assemble. T he first amendment sez.

First Amendment: Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

The moment violence begins the peaceable assembly is now over... time to go home or be arrested.

Since it is unlikely that a peaceable assembly begins in my neighborhood, and ends in a riot all I can do is feel sorry for those that lose a grocery or a business.  I'm sure the NAACP and ACLU will help make everyone whole..
In a boat at sea one of the men began to bore a hole in the bottom of the boat. On being remonstrating with, he answered, "I am only boring under my own seat." "Yes," said his companions, "but when the sea rushes in we shall all be drowned with you."

MusicMan

« Reply #78 on: May 12, 2021, 12:20:04 PM »
I see your politics ..... keep in mind Trump owes cities for his rallies that will never be paid....

Charles Hunter

« Reply #79 on: May 12, 2021, 12:32:43 PM »
Again ... all of those things - property destruction, assault on law enforcement officers, blocking roadways, and so on - are already against the law.  The threat to "peaceable assembly" is that the law allows the arrest of people if the LEOs think a riot is "imminent." I believe the intent and result is to discourage people from exercising their right of free speech and peaceable assembly, for fear that some "bad actors" may do something - or the police think it is "imminent" they will do something - and start arresting everyone in sight, whether you or I were "rioting" or just there to support a cause.  And, sure, the police "should" clearly announce they are about to start arresting people (aka "read the riot act"), but how clearly is that communicated, and how long a clearance time is provided?

Will you support the arrest of people harassing patients of women's health clinics under this law?

BridgeTroll

• Global Moderator
    • London Bridge Pub
« Reply #80 on: May 12, 2021, 12:56:09 PM »
I see your politics ..... keep in mind Trump owes cities for his rallies that will never be paid....

Not a trumper... never was.  I see your politics also...
In a boat at sea one of the men began to bore a hole in the bottom of the boat. On being remonstrating with, he answered, "I am only boring under my own seat." "Yes," said his companions, "but when the sea rushes in we shall all be drowned with you."

BridgeTroll

• Global Moderator
    • London Bridge Pub
« Reply #81 on: May 12, 2021, 12:59:44 PM »
Again ... all of those things - property destruction, assault on law enforcement officers, blocking roadways, and so on - are already against the law.  The threat to "peaceable assembly" is that the law allows the arrest of people if the LEOs think a riot is "imminent." I believe the intent and result is to discourage people from exercising their right of free speech and peaceable assembly, for fear that some "bad actors" may do something - or the police think it is "imminent" they will do something - and start arresting everyone in sight, whether you or I were "rioting" or just there to support a cause.  And, sure, the police "should" clearly announce they are about to start arresting people (aka "read the riot act"), but how clearly is that communicated, and how long a clearance time is provided?

Will you support the arrest of people harassing patients of women's health clinics under this law?

I make no distinction regarding who is protesting what... if it turns into a violent demonstration whether right wingers at the capitol or lefties in Seattle or Portland is immaterial...

I do admire your clear desire and defense of riotous behavior though... I appreciate your passion...

vicupstate

« Reply #82 on: May 12, 2021, 01:22:37 PM »

I make no distinction regarding who is protesting what... if it turns into a violent demonstration whether right wingers at the capitol or lefties in Seattle or Portland is immaterial...

I do admire your clear desire and defense of riotous behavior though... I appreciate your passion...

Please explain WHY this law is needed. There is none. It opens a pandora's box of authority to the police to act as abitur of what is 'imminent'. It is meant to be a deterrent to peaceful assembly.     
"The problem with quotes on the internet is you can never be certain they're authentic." - Abraham Lincoln

Charles Hunter

« Reply #83 on: May 12, 2021, 01:32:10 PM »
Please point out where I "desire" and 'defend' "riotous behavior.  In all of my posts, I have expressed my concern that a peaceful demonstration can turn into a "riot" by the actions of a few people with bad intent. Or, if the police believe "riotous behavior" is "imminent." 
Given existing laws against property destruction, assaulting law enforcement, blocking roadways, etc. - why was this law needed? As I have said previously, I see two reasons. First, to feed red meat to the Trump wing of the GQP based on fears of BLM or antifa, thus establishing DeSantis as a worthy successor to Trump.  Second, to discourage peaceful protest against extra-legal killings by the police, or restrictions of voting (or reproductive, or other) rights.

BridgeTroll

• Global Moderator
    • London Bridge Pub
« Reply #84 on: May 12, 2021, 01:54:14 PM »
The new law simply adds teeth to existing laws for acts committed during a violent demonstration... It also holds responsible those who incite the violence...

I will use hate crimes as an example duplicating existing laws... murder, vandalism, assault can be classified as hate crimes even though those crimes already exist.  We have added " motivation" as a factor.  It makes these crimes more heinous simply by the politics or skin color, or nationality of the perpetrator and victim.

Snaketoz

« Reply #85 on: May 12, 2021, 02:25:38 PM »
I think that the people who see any value in this ridiculous law would do a 180 if it had been put into place by Obama or a black governor.  This law is a hit with the DeSantis and Trump people because it helps those people use the law to enforce their agenda.  The authors of this law keep mentioning BLM and misconduct in the same sentence, yet never mention the ignorant goons who stormed the Capitol.  I don't want non-elected, poorly educated, rank and file law enforcement people making decisions on what is a riot, what may be a riot, and who deserves to be arrested, maced, tazed, or chewed-on by dogs.  Why would ANYONE want to give up a Constitutional right because the party in power is offended by you voicing your opposition to wrongs in our society?

BridgeTroll

• Global Moderator
    • London Bridge Pub
« Reply #86 on: May 12, 2021, 02:33:46 PM »
Your lack of respect for law enforcement shines through over and over snake...

Snaketoz

« Reply #87 on: May 12, 2021, 05:53:49 PM »
I respect anyone deserving respect.  I meant no disrespect for law enforcement officers.  My only concern is, who determines what is or isn't a mob or a riot.  I see examples of misconduct everyday.  I want respect to be a two way street.  I assure you, I will show more respect and compassion to citizens exercising their Constitutional rights than I would to someone like Derek Chauvin.

BridgeTroll

• Global Moderator
    • London Bridge Pub
« Reply #88 on: May 12, 2021, 08:10:04 PM »
I respect anyone deserving respect.  I meant no disrespect for law enforcement officers.  My only concern is, who determines what is or isn't a mob or a riot.  I see examples of misconduct everyday.  I want respect to be a two way street.  I assure you, I will show more respect and compassion to citizens exercising their Constitutional rights than I would to someone like Derek Chauvin.
Nope... you are in fact disrespectful...

Ha ha ha...or whenever Barney Fife says you are rioting.  You are funny!

Snaketoz

« Reply #89 on: May 12, 2021, 09:20:58 PM »
OK Troll,  If I'm disrespecting law enforcement, you're disrespecting the Constitution.