Author Topic: New 'Anti-Mob' law, is it unconstitutional?  (Read 51813 times)

BridgeTroll

• Global Moderator
  • The average person thinks he isnt
    • London Bridge Pub
Re: New 'Anti-Mob' law, is it unconstitutional?
« Reply #150 on: July 15, 2021, 09:35:22 AM »
Lets be honest, if a BLM get together shut down I 95 lots of people would have been arrested.

I think you’re wrong
In a boat at sea one of the men began to bore a hole in the bottom of the boat. On being remonstrating with, he answered, "I am only boring under my own seat." "Yes," said his companions, "but when the sea rushes in we shall all be drowned with you."

JeffreyS

• Demand Evidence and Think Critically.
« Reply #151 on: July 15, 2021, 11:19:33 AM »
Lets be honest, if a BLM get together shut down I 95 lots of people would have been arrested.

I think you’re wrong
So the local government and police that are going to empty the jail if Black people plan on gathering at the beach will go easy on BLM shutting down 95???

I find that difficult to believe.
Lenny Smash

JeffreyS

« Reply #153 on: July 15, 2021, 12:00:08 PM »
By the way the strategy is brilliant. Want that Cuban vote show them the love by approving of their behavior even as the GOP is cracking down on others who would do the same.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2021, 12:11:25 PM by JeffreyS »
Lenny Smash

BridgeTroll

• Global Moderator
    • London Bridge Pub
« Reply #154 on: July 15, 2021, 01:03:53 PM »
By the way the strategy is brilliant. Want that Cuban vote show them the love by approving of their behavior even as the GOP is cracking down on others who would do the same.
Strategy??

How cynical... could they just possibly... possibly be supporting a free Cuba? How many years of communist oppression should they endure??

Good God Jeffrey...
In a boat at sea one of the men began to bore a hole in the bottom of the boat. On being remonstrating with, he answered, "I am only boring under my own seat." "Yes," said his companions, "but when the sea rushes in we shall all be drowned with you."

JeffreyS

« Reply #155 on: July 15, 2021, 01:10:03 PM »
I am not doubting that they are Ernest about Cuba said nothing to that effect. The strategy is about selective enforcement of the law that is the theme of this thread.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2021, 01:14:34 PM by JeffreyS »
Lenny Smash

BridgeTroll

• Global Moderator
    • London Bridge Pub
« Reply #156 on: July 15, 2021, 01:53:25 PM »
Ah... ok... when they don't arrest violent rioters let me know because I want violent Cubans arrested along with anyone else...

JeffreyS

« Reply #157 on: July 15, 2021, 04:56:36 PM »
I’m glad you don’t want non violent protesters arrested.  To everyone else, My commentary on this thread is intended to reflect the reality that the police could have arrested those nonviolent protesters and been in compliance with the law that is being discussed.
Lenny Smash

BridgeTroll

• Global Moderator
    • London Bridge Pub
« Reply #158 on: July 15, 2021, 05:24:12 PM »
It's called common sense... police always have discretion.   You noticed not ALL speeders are pulled over... and some who are simply receive a warning... shoplifters get let go depending on the situation.

The "reality" as you put it is shows that the law is in fact fair... and peaceful protesters will not be rounded up and incarcerated as you and others predicted...

Selective enforcement?  Meh.... NOT.

Charles Hunter

« Reply #159 on: July 15, 2021, 05:39:17 PM »
From NBC Miami
https://www.nbcmiami.com/news/local/desantis-tells-cuba-protesters-to-not-block-florida-roadways/2495957/

Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis is telling demonstrators who are protesting in support of the Cuban people to stop blocking traffic on the state's roadways.

"We can't have that, it's dangerous for you to be shutting down a thoroughfare, you're also putting other people in jeopardy," DeSantis said at a news conference in Miami Thursday. "You don't know if an emergency vehicle needs to get somewhere. And then obviously it's just disrespectful to make people stand in traffic."

He forgot to mention another reason not to block roadways is that under the anti-riot law, motorists could run over protestors blocking the road.
Provisions of the law also make it a felony to block some roadways and provides an affirmative defense in a civil action for drivers who feared for their safety and hit protesters with their cars.

Snaketoz

« Reply #160 on: July 15, 2021, 05:47:33 PM »
It's called common sense... police always have discretion.   You noticed not ALL speeders are pulled over... and some who are simply receive a warning... shoplifters get let go depending on the situation.

The "reality" as you put it is shows that the law is in fact fair... and peaceful protesters will not be rounded up and incarcerated as you and others predicted...

Selective enforcement?  Meh.... NOT.
Nothing you have posted relates to reality.  Speeders and shoplifters?  Discretion?  Jacksonville looked for more jail space prior to proposed beach jam, but looked the other way when demonstrators stopped traffic on an interstate?  Anyone with any sense at all knows pandering when they see it.  Are black voters voting for DeSantis, Curry, Williams, and Trump?  Are Cuban/Americans voting for DeSantis, Curry, Williams, and Trump?  The answer is only too obvious.  Half of the I95 demonstrators probably cheered the insurrection at the Capitol.

BridgeTroll

• Global Moderator
    • London Bridge Pub
« Reply #161 on: July 15, 2021, 06:30:13 PM »
Any more groups you wish to categorize??  Do you always divide people into racial groups?

Wow... just wow...

JeffreyS

« Reply #162 on: July 15, 2021, 09:59:16 PM »
It's called common sense...
To paraphrase JSO from a couple of weeks ago -Empty the jail Jacksonville there’s Black folks wantin to use the beach-.

Seems like some common sense we can get all comfy and snuggly in.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2021, 10:01:43 PM by JeffreyS »
Lenny Smash

jaxoNOLE

« Reply #163 on: July 15, 2021, 10:31:43 PM »
Police are supposed to prepare for negative outcomes. The last festival in Tybee island resulted in 80 arrests. It was a festival combining large groups of college-aged adults with drinking and partying. You keep harping on clearing the jail, but isn't it more telling that there were only 5 arrests ( and those aren't even clearly tied to the festival)? Doesn't exactly sound like the evil JSO stormtroopers were doing a good job trumping up charges to fill the jail.

If you'll recall, interviews with Jax Beach officers revealed they were treating the event like July 4th. I guess they must hate Independence Day, too, if preparing for large crowds mixed with alcohol is racist.

Snaketoz

« Reply #164 on: July 16, 2021, 08:41:07 AM »
Did they look for more jail space prior to the Republican convention?  Lots of drinking was going to be happening.