Author Topic: Pilot e-scooter program in downtown Jacksonville hits some bumps in the road  (Read 26744 times)

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
I don't know what the solution is. I'm just saying that maybe we should try to be a bit creative about this and not just throw cops into the mix as the first solution.

The solution is a simple one. Enforce traffic laws regardless of the vehicle type (e-scooter, car, bicycle, etc.) and regardless of the age group. Doing so is an equitable part of improving traffic safety. In addition to that, we need to continue to invest in roadway infrastructure that improves safety for all users of the streets. While some (not all complainers) may have clear biases with a portion of the demographics (Jax's is a majority minority city now, so we'll need to get used to our increasing diversity) using the system, this other stuff about curfews on e-scooter use, etc. really don't address the core issue at hand. Unequitable enforcement only makes the systemic issues revolving around some long standing biases, rise to the top.
"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.” - Muhammad Ali

Josh

According to the statistics someone has probably been hurt already in Jax... I  bet a good lawyer could make some money here...

https://www.sun-sentinel.com/health/fl-ne-scooter-injuries-20200201-dsyh33jftzevflcxdnw4g66voa-story.html

I know someone who was injured while using one only a few days after they first showed up.

bl8jaxnative

I'm pretty confident no one hates scooters more than me.

If they were a meaningful problem, I would not hesitate to bitch and moan to high hell.   I'd love to complain.  But it's gotta be legit + sincere.  At this point I just don't see a problem.

Tacachale

• Administrator
According to the statistics someone has probably been hurt already in Jax... I  bet a good lawyer could make some money here...

https://www.sun-sentinel.com/health/fl-ne-scooter-injuries-20200201-dsyh33jftzevflcxdnw4g66voa-story.html

I know someone who was injured while using one only a few days after they first showed up.

I fell over using one the other day. That said, I've done a lot more damage with a car, bike, skateboard and surfboard than that.
Do you believe that when the blue jay or another bird sings and the body is trembling, that is a signal that people are coming or something important is about to happen?

BridgeTroll

• Global Moderator
  • The average person thinks he isnt
    • London Bridge Pub

I would advise anyone hurt using one or hurt by someone using one to consult with a injury lawyer. I'm betting these companies are insured for large sums just waiting to payout...
In a boat at sea one of the men began to bore a hole in the bottom of the boat. On being remonstrating with, he answered, "I am only boring under my own seat." "Yes," said his companions, "but when the sea rushes in we shall all be drowned with you."

BridgeTroll

• Global Moderator
  • The average person thinks he isnt
    • London Bridge Pub

I fell over using one the other day. That said, I've done a lot more damage with a car, bike, skateboard and surfboard than that.

How very anecdotal... The stats say you're lucky...
In a boat at sea one of the men began to bore a hole in the bottom of the boat. On being remonstrating with, he answered, "I am only boring under my own seat." "Yes," said his companions, "but when the sea rushes in we shall all be drowned with you."

bl8jaxnative

https://www.stltoday.com/news/local/crime-and-courts/st-louis-mayors-office-announces-scooter-curfew-for-downtown/article_a2fe8842-0c8f-5efe-94fe-8f3715fedd9b.html?fbclid=IwAR3aKy1w8FPEzs6l1gvfMKdxOQRj4dFruAa6UVihfZShnt6c7yGUnQKQrTg

Mayor Tishaura O. Jones' office on Friday announced a new daily scooter curfew from 9 p.m. to 8 a.m. in the downtown and downtown west neighborhoods after residents and businesses complained in a neighborhood meeting about drunken and disorderly scooter driving on area sidewalks.

Scooter providers Lime and Bird both agreed to power down the devices at 9 p.m. in response to the mayor's request, said Nick Dunne, a spokesman for the mayor's office.

jaxoNOLE

I'm more an advocate of enforcement against specific abuses than an outright ban or curfew. You want people downtown after 5...but want to shut off a last-mile mobility solution at 9?

How about charging the scooter operators a nominal fee to fund enforcement related to their product? Not all that different than the mobility fees in concept. I assume the companies would pass that cost on, such that it becomes essentially a user fee.

No sense letting a few bad actors ruin it for the rest of us. That applies in so, so many areas of our rights and privileges.

bl8jaxnative

There's no last mile mobility solution.  The scooters are an attraction for joy rides.  Good for them.  But let's not have a case of vapors claiming that mimaw ain't gonna make it to the doctor cuz they turn off at 9:05pm.

jaxoNOLE

There's no last mile mobility solution.
They were designed specifically to serve as such. Just because they're used for other purposes doesn't mean they aren't also a mobility solution.

The scooters are an attraction for joy rides.  Good for them.  But let's not have a case of vapors claiming that mimaw ain't gonna make it to the doctor cuz they turn off at 9:05pm.

That wasn't my implication at all. I was referring to nightlife and activity downtown, and how shutting something down that facilitates those activities is at odds with the City's goals of a vibrant downtown at night. If more safety enforcement is required to realize that goal, so be it.

Adam White

• Facebook
There's no last mile mobility solution.
They were designed specifically to serve as such. Just because they're used for other purposes doesn't mean they aren't also a mobility solution.

Well, my baseball cap was designed to keep the sun out of the eyes of professional baseball players (in my case, the Baltimore Orioles) - but I use it to hide the fact that I am balding. If I eventually make it onto the Orioles roster, I guess it would most certainly do its job. In the meantime, if I lose it, it won't impact my ability to play professional baseball - but people will know I am bald right away.

I think I get bl8jaxnative's point. Maybe the scooters were designed to be a 'last mile mobility solution' but they aren't necessarily providing that service at the moment. Limiting usage isn't necessarily going to eliminate a 'last mile mobility solution' at this stage.

At least that's what I think he means.
“If you're going to play it out of tune, then play it out of tune properly.”

acme54321

Yeah I imagine very few (if anyone) are legit using these as a last mile mobility solution. 

Zac T

Yeah I imagine very few (if anyone) are legit using these as a last mile mobility solution.

As previously stated, I as well as others that I know who live and work around downtown use these scooters as a last mile mobility solution. If they expanded them to surrounding neighborhoods then they would probably become more than just my last mile option.

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
I think I get bl8jaxnative's point. Maybe the scooters were designed to be a 'last mile mobility solution' but they aren't necessarily providing that service at the moment. Limiting usage isn't necessarily going to eliminate a 'last mile mobility solution' at this stage.

On the practical side of this, I'm not sure what limiting usage does to resolve anything. It definitely doesn't force anyone using mobility to follow traffic laws, so it isn't helping safety. Seems like a typical Jax politician feel good solution moreso than anything else.
"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.” - Muhammad Ali

Adam White

• Facebook

On the practical side of this, I'm not sure what limiting usage does to resolve anything. It definitely doesn't force anyone using mobility to follow traffic laws, so it isn't helping safety. Seems like a typical Jax politician feel good solution moreso than anything else.

I don't disagree. I may be wrong, but it would seem to me that limiting usage would run the risk of making these things into another white elephant or whatever.
“If you're going to play it out of tune, then play it out of tune properly.”