Author Topic: Pilot e-scooter program in downtown Jacksonville hits some bumps in the road  (Read 28016 times)

Charles Hunter

Also, reading that article featuring quotes by Rory Diamond, I'd question the demographic make up of the complainers. I get the impression that most of the complaints likely come from a segment of the population that don't use them.

and don't like the demographic of those using them.

BridgeTroll

• Global Moderator
  • The average person thinks he isnt
    • London Bridge Pub
Well… there is also a “demographic “ that thinks those riding scooters with blatant disregard of the traffic laws are endangering themselves and others. Wrong way down the streets… disobey traffic lights… riding down sidewalks to name the obvious…

So there is that…
In a boat at sea one of the men began to bore a hole in the bottom of the boat. On being remonstrating with, he answered, "I am only boring under my own seat." "Yes," said his companions, "but when the sea rushes in we shall all be drowned with you."

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
Nothing wrong with traffic enforcement. There's laws already on the books for that.
"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.” - Muhammad Ali

BridgeTroll

• Global Moderator
    • London Bridge Pub
Nothing wrong with traffic enforcement. There's laws already on the books for that.

No doubt… but I saw what I saw… and I doubt the others who witnessed traffic law abuse were lying or exaggerating. As a parent if my teen was doing what I witnessed there would be issues…
In a boat at sea one of the men began to bore a hole in the bottom of the boat. On being remonstrating with, he answered, "I am only boring under my own seat." "Yes," said his companions, "but when the sea rushes in we shall all be drowned with you."

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
I suspect that not all complaints are traffic law abuse related. Yet, from a traffic perspective, I see people breaking traffic laws in cars on a regular basis in downtown. Running red lights, excessive speeding, going the wrong way on one-way streets, not stopping for pedestrians in marked crosswalks, etc. A good number of zero setback historic buildings have been damaged by drivers who lost control. A big visible indicator of a need for speed management and enforcement.  However, we're not talking about placing curfews on automobile use or even pushing for better enforcement of a more significant safety issue. This is the perspective I'm coming from based on what I read in that article. Be equal in addressing safety issues on the road.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2021, 04:18:14 PM by thelakelander »
"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.” - Muhammad Ali

BridgeTroll

• Global Moderator
    • London Bridge Pub
You can suspect all you like Ennis. I assume you and others are much more lenient parents than I. That’s your business. Running the wrong way on a scooter getting hit by an unsuspecting car driver… I know who will be hurt and who’s walking away.

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
Enforce the law, regardless of ages and vehicle types. That has nothing to do with parenting. Let's not confuse the two. Just a random question though. How often have you used the scooters?

marcuscnelson

• Gen Z - Tired of the status quo
Not BridgeTroll, but I've had two opportunities to use the scooters in the last two weeks.

Week before last I was downtown for a meeting, and rode a Link scooter from the Jessie to Central Station to livestream a ride on the Skyway for some friends. A man took the time to point out that apparently Link's scooters are the fastest with the best battery life, I don't know if that's true or not. Not sure if it was just Central Station, but it seems really weird to me that there wasn't (at least from what I could tell) a scooter drop point at the station. It could have been an error on my part, but I don't know.

Just yesterday I was downtown to participate in something, and rode another Link scooter from the Florida Theatre to the Main Library. For whatever reason, the app got stuck on some step about checking firmware? I was about to cancel it, and I actually thought I did, but then the scooter decided to work at that point. The actual experience of riding the scooter is pretty nice in my opinion, save for some occasional errors trying to start from a stop, such as at a crosswalk.

I noticed a few other people riding (maybe a dozen total between both times), and saw one scooter lying on its side in an odd place, but all in all I thought it was enjoyable, and a useful way to get around downtown, especially on a hot day with little shade.
So, to the young people fighting in this movement for change, here is my charge: march in the streets, protest, run for school committee or city council or the state legislature. And win. - Ed Markey

BridgeTroll

• Global Moderator
    • London Bridge Pub
Enforce the law, regardless of ages and vehicle types. That has nothing to do with parenting. Let's not confuse the two. Just a random question though. How often have you used the scooters?
Im not confusing anything. I agree 100% regarding law enforcement. What I said regarding parenting was if MY TEENAGER was abusing the traffic laws as I observed then my teen and I would have an issue…

I have ridden scooters before. Not my thing because… I know I no longer heal as quickly as I once did. I can assure you that I would follow traffic laws.  Do you?

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
What I said regarding parenting was if MY TEENAGER was abusing the traffic laws as I observed then my teen and I would have an issue…

This is what I read and responded too.

You can suspect all you like Ennis. I assume you and others are much more lenient parents than I. That’s your business.

Advocating for equal enforcement of traffic laws, regardless of vehicle type has nothing to do with who is or isn't more lenient with their kids. I'm not sure where that came from or what it was actually in response too. I'm pretty sure I didn't call anyone a bad parent.

Running the wrong way on a scooter getting hit by an unsuspecting car driver… I know who will be hurt and who’s walking away.

Running the wrong way in a pickup truck and hitting an unsuspecting pedestrian crossing the street... I know who will be dead and who won't have a scratch. A curfew on scooters doesn't resolve the issue of a scooter driver or car driver not following the law.

I have ridden scooters before. Not my thing because… I know I no longer heal as quickly as I once did. I can assure you that I would follow traffic laws.  Do you?

I'm glad you follow traffic laws. If not you should be ticketed. Same goes for me. I asked this question because I wanted to test my assumption I posted in this thread.

Also, reading that article featuring quotes by Rory Diamond, I'd question the demographic make up of the complainers. I get the impression that most of the complaints likely come from a segment of the population that don't use them.

BridgeTroll

• Global Moderator
    • London Bridge Pub
I see you still do not seem to understand my parenting sentence so I will try one more time.  The events that I witnessed featured very clearly teenagers... not 18 or "adult"... but teenagers.  (<16)  (If) one of those children were mine... my teenager and myself and their mother would have to have a talk... because that illegal and dangerous actions are not condoned,  excused, or acceptable behavior...

MY TEENAGER.

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
^No need to try. I never commented about your teenager, your parenting or anyone else's parenting. I'm confused to why I'm being looped into something to do with your teenager. That must have been something addressed or discussed with someone else.

BridgeTroll

• Global Moderator
    • London Bridge Pub
No worries... some look at a circumstance through the lens of an urban planner and someone else may see the same thing though a parental lens.  Same thing different viewpoints...

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
Being both, no they aren't the same.  I could be wrong but the primary difference in this conversation is that you're equating e-scooters as being for kids. I'm viewing them as another form of mobility. Like a car, bike, train, AV shuttle and our own feet. So when I say traffic laws should be followed, regardless of mode, I'm not questioning your parenting skills or anyone else's. By the same token, curfews on a mobility option don't necessarily apply to kids. They apply to any adult using them as well.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2021, 08:19:42 PM by thelakelander »

Ken_FSU

As a guy walking and driving the downtown streets 40 hours a week, I've had way more close calls and witnessed more traffic infractions with Jimmy Johns employees and other white bicyclers than I've had with minority riders on scooters.

Curious that you don't hear anyone calling for a curfew on bicycles...