Author Topic: Pilot e-scooter program in downtown Jacksonville hits some bumps in the road  (Read 27999 times)

jaxlongtimer

From the map posted, looks like it doesn't work in Prime Osborne's parking lot.  If you attend an event there, why wouldn't that be activated?

It works where there is a docking station in front of the Prime Osborne and adjacent to the Jacksonville Regional Transportation Authority. Given that the Prime Osborne parking lot is gated and locked, I don't think having scooters behind a locked gate does much for system-wide availability issues.

I am figuring its not locked and gated during events.... and couldn't tell from the map that there was a docking station on the front side.  No need for the snide editorializing of an innocent question.

Its unfortunate that you feel that my factual answer to your question was snide.

This is the gratuitous comment I am referring to.  It basically says "duh, dummy.":

I don't think having scooters behind a locked gate does much for system-wide availability issues.

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
It's got some weird quirks. I took Spin yesterday and it cut off on Coastline Drive, right in front of Hyatt. Couldn't get it going again until getting back to Newnan Street.

If that map is an accurate GPS boundary provided to the scooter companies, they should modify it slightly.

The boundary for the riverwalk should be moved into the river a bit so if you aren't riding right on the edge the entire way. Same with Bay Street. Any fluctuation in GPS location will turn the scooter off.

Did they exclude the riverwalk in front of the Hyatt on purpose?

I was riding in the street since DT was a ghost town on Sunday. It's a much smoother ride than the riverwalk. I'm not sure of the other scooters but Spin definitely doesn't work in front of the Hyatt. Despite going east of Newnan, I was moving faster than JTA's proposed U2C, so I coasted halfway through the Hyatt block before noticing I was outside the boundary.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2021, 12:11:27 PM by thelakelander »
"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.” - Muhammad Ali

Charles Hunter

From the map posted, looks like it doesn't work in Prime Osborne's parking lot.  If you attend an event there, why wouldn't that be activated?

I am curious as to why there would be a need for the scooters to work in the Prime Osborne parking lot?  If you scootered there from downtown, you don't need to go into the parking lot to enter the building.  If you drove to the PO, you wouldn't need to ride a scooter from your car to the door.

jaxlongtimer

I am curious as to why there would be a need for the scooters to work in the Prime Osborne parking lot?  If you scootered there from downtown, you don't need to go into the parking lot to enter the building.  If you drove to the PO, you wouldn't need to ride a scooter from your car to the door.

I was only thinking if you came from Downtown (maybe living there or coming from an office or hotel) to an event at the Convention Center, you would need to have a place to "park" your scooter during the event.  It seemed to me the parking lot would be that spot.  That's all.

MusicMan

Thanks for posting the map. I'll admit I really want to see them going from the residential areas to TUPAC, so folks can "Scoot on down to Symphony Hall". If marketed properly this could have a positive impact on all things residential/commercial/entertainment in the CBD.

How many total scooters in circulation?
« Last Edit: April 26, 2021, 02:20:46 PM by MusicMan »

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
I don't know how many are in circulation, but they are having a positive impact already in my opinion. They've added life to a place that has traditionally been dead during nights and the weekends. They are also attracting a very diverse cross section of the local population to downtown's streets as well.
"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.” - Muhammad Ali

simms3

• Time has come
I left work around 9 tonight and saw only 1 scooter going and only a couple laying around.  I wonder if there was a crackdown recently.
Bothering locals and trolling boards since 2005

simms3

• Time has come
I previously referenced in this thread the scooters in the Bay Area frequently ending up as trash in a body of water, such as Lake Merritt in downtown Oakland.  Well it would appear we are already at that same point in Jacksonville!  That didn't take long.

https://youtu.be/-KGbiOnHkWY

And now there is a midnight curfew on the scooters, but will it be enough?

https://www.firstcoastnews.com/mobile/article/news/local/scooter-curfew-downtown-jacksonville/77-d1f744db-4059-4135-aa14-c8a2be786966

Personally I think the scooters are just not a good idea.
Bothering locals and trolling boards since 2005

Ken_FSU

I previously referenced in this thread the scooters in the Bay Area frequently ending up as trash in a body of water, such as Lake Merritt in downtown Oakland.  Well it would appear we are already at that same point in Jacksonville!  That didn't take long.

https://youtu.be/-KGbiOnHkWY

And now there is a midnight curfew on the scooters, but will it be enough?

https://www.firstcoastnews.com/mobile/article/news/local/scooter-curfew-downtown-jacksonville/77-d1f744db-4059-4135-aa14-c8a2be786966

Personally I think the scooters are just not a good idea.

I'm behind on coffee, but honest question here:

If a couple of idiot teens - probably drunk or high - toss a scooter into the river as a social media stunt, how is that an indictment of the scooter, rather than an indictment of said idiot teens? Don't know if I buy the assertion that the mere presence of a scooter in downtown Jacksonville led to the youths tossing it overboard.

Also, I guess time is subjective, but when you say "that didn't take long," we're now in month four of the scooter share program. Which would put us at about three scooters in the drink annually, if the pattern holds. That's honestly probably fewer scooters in the river than I would have guessed when this thing started.

Personally, I hope to see them stay.

If and when we actually do start to see development between Met Park and the Landing, micro-mobility is only going to be become more important. Particularly when the only alternative form of public transportation up and down Bay Street is speculative clowncar.

Zac T

I think many people forget that a lively downtown will attract many groups of people, including some troublemakers, but that's what comes with living in an urban environment. We should deal with them without taking away things that benefit the populace as a whole. I never see anyone suggest banning cars despite the daily crashes, deaths, and DUI's that come with them but as soon as there's an alternative to driving then people critique it to the max. Honestly, we should be talking about prohibiting cars in the core rather than scooters.

My apartment downtown doesn't have parking which is okay because I can take the Skyway or use the scooters as a last-mile option. The Skyway is most likely going away so the scooters are the only other option besides taking the risk of someone stealing my bike again (we really need secure bike parking downtown) or walking. I don't mind walking but many people do, especially this time of year. If they take the scooters away without having other viable transportation options* then it's just another excuse for people not to live downtown.

*clown cars are not a legitimate transportation solution

Tacachale

• Administrator
I think many people forget that a lively downtown will attract many groups of people, including some troublemakers, but that's what comes with living in an urban environment. We should deal with them without taking away things that benefit the populace as a whole. I never see anyone suggest banning cars despite the daily crashes, deaths, and DUI's that come with them but as soon as there's an alternative to driving then people critique it to the max. Honestly, we should be talking about prohibiting cars in the core rather than scooters.

My apartment downtown doesn't have parking which is okay because I can take the Skyway or use the scooters as a last-mile option. The Skyway is most likely going away so the scooters are the only other option besides taking the risk of someone stealing my bike again (we really need secure bike parking downtown) or walking. I don't mind walking but many people do, especially this time of year. If they take the scooters away without having other viable transportation options* then it's just another excuse for people not to live downtown.

*clown cars are not a legitimate transportation solution

Excellent point. Last week Ennis and I went on a tour of properties being redeveloped in Downtown and we used the scooters. They were great for that purpose. If we had those when I was a teenager, my friends and I would have been down there all the time. If that's a problem for some, so be it. Not everyone is ever going to be happy with anything.
Do you believe that when the blue jay or another bird sings and the body is trembling, that is a signal that people are coming or something important is about to happen?

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
I'm in Atlanta at the moment. Yesterday, while catching MARTA back to my airport hotel, I noticed a kid taking one of their scooters from downtown to wherever he was headed on the train. Moral of the story is that in any situation, you'll find a few that won't go by the rules. However, it doesn't mean the availability of micromobility for a larger cross section of society is a bad thing.

JeffreyS

• Demand Evidence and Think Critically.
St. Louis seems to love the eScooters downtown. People using them near the arch, the Cardinals game, hotels and shops. It is hard to believe how many of them are available throughout downtown.
Lenny Smash

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
Also, reading that article featuring quotes by Rory Diamond, I'd question the demographic make up of the complainers. I get the impression that most of the complaints likely come from a segment of the population that don't use them.

Tacachale

• Administrator
Also, reading that article featuring quotes by Rory Diamond, I'd question the demographic make up of the complainers. I get the impression that most of the complaints likely come from a segment of the population that don't use them.

Ding ding ding.
Do you believe that when the blue jay or another bird sings and the body is trembling, that is a signal that people are coming or something important is about to happen?