Author Topic: Amtrak expansion includes Jacksonville. Are we ready?  (Read 35533 times)

marcuscnelson

• Gen Z - Tired of the status quo
Re: Amtrak expansion includes Jacksonville. Are we ready?
« Reply #30 on: June 01, 2021, 12:12:08 PM »
It seems to me like the goal here, as I said earlier, is to get the service off the ground and get people too used to or too dependent on it for the state to not come to the table. They can't pull that off with the west corridor to Pensacola because of whatever complication exists with the freight railroads there. But they can at least launch a Florida service to all the big cities with relatively little money, since as-proposed they're not going to any destination in Florida they don't already serve. The bulk of the cost is going to be buying new trainsets (which ironically will likely be the same trainsets used by Brightline) and hiring new staff. And more frequent service should be a pretty big deal, even if it isn't as frequent as Brightline.
So, to the young people fighting in this movement for change, here is my charge: march in the streets, protest, run for school committee or city council or the state legislature. And win. - Ed Markey

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #31 on: June 01, 2021, 01:25:52 PM »
 The key here I see is the opportunity to leverage an existing intercity line that would have more frequent service. Locally, we'd need to do two things if more frequent intercity service were established along the CSX A between Orlando and Jacksonville.

1. Get Amtrak back downtown.
2. Get an Amtrak station in the Clay County/Fleming Island area.

Both can be no frills but with more frequent intercity service (primarily if spread out throughout the day), you step into a situation where commuting between Jax, Clay County and Palatka could be another transportation option in NE Florida, laying a foundation for eventual commuter rail along that corridor. This option would also open all three stations up for TOD opportunities. That's about as cheap and quick of an option for something resembling commuter rail that you will ever see in metropolitan Jacksonville. That's a benefit locally and for Amtrak ridership.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2021, 04:54:54 PM by thelakelander »
"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.” - Muhammad Ali

Charles Hunter

« Reply #32 on: June 01, 2021, 02:08:18 PM »
Now if we could just amend the LOGT list to divert some U2C money to moving Amtrak back downtown.

BridgeTroll

• Global Moderator
  • The average person thinks he isnt
    • London Bridge Pub
« Reply #33 on: June 01, 2021, 04:51:08 PM »
Now if we could just amend the LOGT list to divert some U2C money to moving Amtrak back downtown.

Hmmm... definitely supportable...
In a boat at sea one of the men began to bore a hole in the bottom of the boat. On being remonstrating with, he answered, "I am only boring under my own seat." "Yes," said his companions, "but when the sea rushes in we shall all be drowned with you."

Ken_FSU

« Reply #34 on: June 04, 2021, 03:08:19 PM »
Unbelievable.

https://www.jaxdailyrecord.com/article/city-may-transfer-historic-locomotive-at-prime-osborn

Though rather symbolic of Jacksonville’s appreciation for rail.

Papa33

« Reply #35 on: June 04, 2021, 03:41:13 PM »

blizz01

« Reply #36 on: June 04, 2021, 04:49:26 PM »
$50k?

marcuscnelson

• Gen Z - Tired of the status quo
« Reply #37 on: June 04, 2021, 09:30:30 PM »
On one hand, it would be pretty sad for Jax to lose this monument, seeing how long it's called Jax home.

On the other, is it really that bad if we're losing it for it to become an actual running locomotive again?

The only caveat I would really consider is that perhaps there could be a clawback so that if U.S. Sugar decides to stop operating the service, they have to give it back to us to be restored as a monument.
So, to the young people fighting in this movement for change, here is my charge: march in the streets, protest, run for school committee or city council or the state legislature. And win. - Ed Markey

acme54321

« Reply #38 on: June 04, 2021, 09:31:15 PM »
The engine is in pretty rough shape.  This is a tough one, on one hand this would save the engine but another we will lose it.  I think it's current location is terrible.  Not many people know it's there.

acme54321

« Reply #39 on: June 04, 2021, 09:33:17 PM »
On one hand, it would be pretty sad for Jax to lose this monument, seeing how long it's called Jax home.

On the other, is it really that bad if we're losing it for it to become an actual running locomotive again?

The only caveat I would really consider is that perhaps there could be a clawback so that if U.S. Sugar decides to stop operating the service, they have to give it back to us to be restored as a monument.

Clawback would be good.

jaxlongtimer

« Reply #40 on: June 04, 2021, 11:12:22 PM »
What would also be neat would be to require it to make one excursion a year up to Jacksonville for the public to ride it here.

I recall as a kid parking at the ACL visitors' lot for evening and weekend events downtown (yes, their property was fully open to the public back then).  This engine sat in the middle of the visitors lot on an elevated platform and we often parked at its base.

Sad to see it leave Jax but glad it will be restored on behalf of a good cause.  Wonder what the restoration will cost.

This could have been a nice and unique tourist attraction for Jax if we took a pittance of the Skyway U2C dollars and partnered with CSX to run excursions from here.  But, that would require imagination, planning and effort.  Three strikes against us.

bl8jaxnative

« Reply #41 on: June 07, 2021, 04:43:07 PM »
The problem is those excursions are very expensive.  They cost far more than a pittance.

jaxlongtimer

« Reply #42 on: June 07, 2021, 05:21:10 PM »
The problem is those excursions are very expensive.  They cost far more than a pittance.

Perhaps, but they exist all over the US and the world... old time trains still run by for-profit companies making money.

One example:  The White Pass & Yukon RR in Alaska/British Columbia/Yukon was founded in 1898, runs up steep mountains, through ice, snow and tunnels and over trestle bridges built over very deep gorges and river beds, but manages to do well financially.  And, looking at their web site, fares for some excursions run to $239 so it looks like people will pay up for these rides.  Admittedly, its one of the most scenic RR's in the world but still...

https://wpyr.com/excursions/

« Last Edit: June 07, 2021, 07:07:47 PM by jaxlongtimer »

bl8jaxnative

« Reply #43 on: June 08, 2021, 02:31:05 PM »
An old freight line revived to run passenger trains cuz of a bunch of tourists wanting to get off a cruise ship is nothing like "requiring them to run an excursion once a year". 

BridgeTroll

• Global Moderator
  • The average person thinks he isnt
    • London Bridge Pub
« Reply #44 on: June 08, 2021, 05:00:18 PM »
Wife and I did this one in North Carolina. Very nice...

https://www.gsmr.com/
In a boat at sea one of the men began to bore a hole in the bottom of the boat. On being remonstrating with, he answered, "I am only boring under my own seat." "Yes," said his companions, "but when the sea rushes in we shall all be drowned with you."