Author Topic: DIA Business Improvement District expanding?  (Read 4501 times)

fsu813

DIA Business Improvement District expanding?
« on: March 14, 2021, 07:50:24 PM »
"The DIA will also consider a resolution to increase the boundaries of the downtown Business Improvement District. The current BID encompasses the Northbank Core and portions of the Southbank. a roughly 90-block area.

The new resolution would see the geographic boundaries of the BID expand north to include Union Street, west to include portions of LaVilla and Brooklyn’s riverfront property and east to the edge of the Sport District."

I'm curious as to why the boundary wouldn't expand into some lower portion of Springfield, since it's going even further West & East (for ex, North until 1st Street, where the Historic District begins).

Would anyone more knowledgeable than I care to guess?

Full story at:
https://www.bizjournals.com/jacksonville/news/2021/03/12/dia-to-discuss-trio-lavilla-bid-borders.html

marcuscnelson

• Gen Z - Tired of the status quo
Re: DIA Business Improvement District expanding?
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2021, 10:34:24 PM »
I'm just confused by why exactly this is necessary. Is there some developer out there itching to get a project off the ground, but they can't do it without being part of the BID? Is DVI doing so well already that expanding the BID makes a ton of sense right now?
So, to the young people fighting in this movement for change, here is my charge: march in the streets, protest, run for school committee or city council or the state legislature. And win. - Ed Markey

marcuscnelson

« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2021, 03:33:10 PM »
There's now a T-U article.

https://www.jacksonville.com/story/news/local/2021/03/16/downtown-vision-jacksonville-proposes-bigger-area-assessments/4707086001/

Along with a map of the new BID:

Some choice quotes:

Downtown Vision wants to double the size of the district where it operates in Jacksonville, a move that would likewise expand the roster of property-owners that would pay mandatory annual assessments equating to $1.10 per $1,000 of assessed property value.

Downtown Vision CEO Jake Gordon said that in the past 20 years, downtown has changed and attracted thousands of residents. He said Downtown Vision's services such as its Ambassador program can play a role across a broader area.

"We really consider this a common-sense expansion," he said Monday.

The amount of the assessment would stay at $1.10 per $1,000 of assessed property valuation.

By adding more pieces of property that pay the assessment, Downtown Vision would gain about $875,000 in additional revenue annually for services it would carry out within the enlarged district. Gordon said one focus would be along the riverfront because Downtown Vision could cover more sections of the river walk and its green spaces.

The most visible change would be a doubling in size of the Ambassador program that uses orange-shirted workers to give assistance to people in downtown and also targets clean-up activities along streets, sidewalks and park spaces.

On the Southbank side of the river, the enlargement would pick up the riverfront land where mega-development The District is planned.

The Northank expansion would add a portion of the riverfront called The Shipyards, but it would stop short of going into the city-owned property where Jaguars owner Shad Khan has proposed to build a Four Seasons Hotel.

The expansion into Brooklyn would extend the 1.1 mill assessments to large office buildings, apartments buildings, and shopping centers along both sides of Riverside Avenue all the way to where Interstate 95 crosses Riverside Avenue.

The decision on changing the boundaries rests with City Council.
So, to the young people fighting in this movement for change, here is my charge: march in the streets, protest, run for school committee or city council or the state legislature. And win. - Ed Markey

tufsu1

« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2021, 03:36:46 PM »
as someone who lives in the expanded district, I have no issue. Happily willing to pay an extra $200ish per year to get enhanced security and cleaning - as well as more robust programming.

Charles Hunter

« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2021, 04:11:58 PM »
I think this is a good idea.

The Times-Union graphics department gets a C- for their map.
It should show the existing BID boundary, perhaps as a shaded area.
An earlier article (and this thread) says the northern boundary is Union Street - the map shows it as State Street (unless the earlier article was wrong).
This article says "large office buildings, apartment buildings, and shopping centers along both sides of Riverside Avenue all the way to where Interstate 95 crosses Riverside Avenue." Yet, the map shows the boundary going down Riverside Avenue, only including the property on the river side of Riverside.

marcuscnelson

« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2021, 04:38:31 PM »
What stands out to me on the map are only including Brooklyn between Riverplace and the river, not including all of LaVilla (particularly the new townhomes or area surrounding JRTC), and the inclusion of the prison & Maxwell Coffee.

If you're going to increase the boundary by that much anyway, why not include all of LaVilla and Brooklyn?

WAJAS

« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2021, 07:24:21 PM »
I think this is a good idea.

The Times-Union graphics department gets a C- for their map.
It should show the existing BID boundary, perhaps as a shaded area.
An earlier article (and this thread) says the northern boundary is Union Street - the map shows it as State Street (unless the earlier article was wrong).
This article says "large office buildings, apartment buildings, and shopping centers along both sides of Riverside Avenue all the way to where Interstate 95 crosses Riverside Avenue." Yet, the map shows the boundary going down Riverside Avenue, only including the property on the river side of Riverside.

The map is straight from the Agenda for the DIA Board Meeting. Here's the document link: https://dia.coj.net/Meetings/DIA-Meetings/DIA-Board-Meeting-March-2021/20210317_DIA-Board-Meeting-Agenda-Packet.aspx

The exact wording is:
The Service Area includes all of those properties within the contiguous zone created by the above-described boundaries. The Service Area further includes those properties on both sides of Lee Street and Riverside Avenue, where they constitute Service Area boundaries.

TL;DR: the boundaries are as described in the map PLUS the property boundaries of properties on both sides of Lee Street and Riverside Avenue.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2021, 07:29:16 PM by WAJAS »

Charles Hunter

« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2021, 08:17:29 PM »
OK, I'll change the TU grade to N/A - not applicable.
Still think the map could be better.  :)

marcuscnelson

« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2021, 11:12:52 PM »
TL;DR: the boundaries are as described in the map PLUS the property boundaries of properties on both sides of Lee Street and Riverside Avenue.

That's a pretty drastic change. I wonder if perhaps that was last-minute, and they didn't have time to change the map.

It means that maybe the Convention Center is included, but not the rest of the JRTC. It also includes Lift E'vry Voice & Sing Park, but it's unclear if that includes the new townhomes. Also means that 220 Riverside and Vista Brooklyn are included, but nothing along Park Street.

All in all, I'm still confused by why they didn't just go whole hog and expand it to fully cover LaVilla and Brooklyn. Seeing as they went ahead with the entire Cathedral District, it doesn't look that out there to consider.

marcuscnelson

« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2021, 12:40:43 PM »
DIA is also looking to expand their staff and move to a new office space in the library's parking garage.

https://www.jaxdailyrecord.com/article/downtown-vision-inc-wants-a-bigger-service-area-larger-staff-and-a-new-hq

bl8jaxnative

« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2021, 04:04:53 PM »

100% against it.   They should concentrate on downtown.

marcuscnelson

« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2021, 12:28:33 AM »
^ I mean, the areas in question are technically also downtown.

But I get it, seems a little odd to expand when the existing district isn't really there yet as a destination. The borders in LaVilla and Brooklyn especially seem somewhat noncommittal.

marcuscnelson

« Reply #12 on: June 10, 2021, 02:12:11 PM »
It's a go.

https://www.jaxdailyrecord.com/article/council-oks-expanded-downtown-vision-borders-tax-assessment

Funny that Cumber voted against expansion for her own district, but she's been on this anti-tax binge lately so I guess it's par for the course. And of course there's Diamond.

bl8jaxnative

« Reply #13 on: June 11, 2021, 11:49:26 AM »
^ I mean, the areas in question are technically also downtown.

But I get it, seems a little odd to expand when the existing district isn't really there yet as a destination. The borders in LaVilla and Brooklyn especially seem somewhat noncommittal.

Good point.  Downtown isn't a fully set thing.  I've ran into people who live in other counties who describe going to Chambalins Book Mine as goign downtown.   

tufsu1

« Reply #14 on: June 15, 2021, 02:17:28 PM »
^ maybe they mean Chamblins Uptown