Author Topic: Adecco moving North American headquarters from Jacksonville to thriving Atlanta  (Read 4524 times)

vicupstate

Large companies have had to shell out and buy these people laptops and pay for their home internet service while still paying rent on a building they can’t use.

Didn't their employees already have laptops, they just use they from home instead of the office?  Is anyone's work paying for internet service, when the person already would have had it? 
"The problem with quotes on the internet is you can never be certain they're authentic." - Abraham Lincoln

Chuckabear

Large companies have had to shell out and buy these people laptops and pay for their home internet service while still paying rent on a building they can’t use.

Didn't their employees already have laptops, they just use they from home instead of the office?  Is anyone's work paying for internet service, when the person already would have had it?

Actually yes, from personal experience my wife has had to forward for approval stipend payments for employees at JPMC to upgrade their internet package to support access to the VDI as well as being able to support Video Conferencing.

jaxlongtimer

Yes, if people want to say it’s just a few suits then they are keeping their heads in the sand.  Companies across the US have been waiting to slash the fat from their workforce. No one wanted to seem like the bad guy and layoff during the pandemic.  It’s a new year now and cuts will have to be made.

Many companies expect a robust rebound coming out of the pandemic and may be reluctant to cut employees.  Where they seem to be looking at saving the most is in real estate, i.e. reducing their office sizes.  Employees are likely to work more from home and, if they go in the office, it may be on a cycle of only 2 or 3 days a week.  Virtual meetings will also cut down on the need for space along with facilitating another big cost savings: travel and entertainment expenses which will continue, but likely on a far lower level.

I know people working at HQ's of Fortune 500 companies with thousands of employees and pretty much none have been allowed to come into their offices for close to a year yet the companies are thriving.  The lesson being learned is some companies don't need a large campus with millions of square feet.  Just look at Florida Blue here which is following this line of thinking.

There are companies, due to cyber security, that will only allow their work done on company issued and controlled computers.  Thus, employees have two, one the company provides and supports and one for personal.  Some companies go further, and do the same for cell phones.  Employees are strictly limited/prohibited from going to any non-business related sites on company owned hardware.  People can get nasty-grams from their IT departments if they even once go to an unauthorized site.  That's how near and dear some companies are holding cybersecurity today.

Pottsburg

• Always Carry Always Conceal

If you're paying an employee $50k a year or lower working for a call center then you will be reimbursing their internet costs.  Also like mentioned above, the employee comes to work and logs into their computer.  they don't take it home, it stays there.  Also you're not going to be able to get on big companies VPNs from your mac that you use for Facebook and photos.
Forza Napoli!  EPL has nothing on the Serie A

vicupstate

I don't know how common my experience is, but EVERYONE was already taking their company laptop to and FROM work every day. You didn't leave it at work when the day was over.  Few people were going into the office (once it reopened) any more and the lease was up anyway, so we did not renew it. The question was asked about the company paying for individual internet and that was a fast 'No' because we already had to have the capability of working from home.   
"The problem with quotes on the internet is you can never be certain they're authentic." - Abraham Lincoln

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
At my firm, we were already assigned company laptops that must remain with us, whether we're working in or outside of the office, before the pandemic. However, I don't think that is the norm. That only happened after the local Jax office was acquired by a larger firm headquartered in Chicago with offices around the county. Since the pandemic, the company does provide a monthly technology stipend to employees to upgrade whatever they need (ex. internet service, bigger screens, etc.) to be able to work efficiently from home. I've also been provided a hotspot by the company for internet access on the road, no matter my location.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2021, 12:14:15 PM by thelakelander »
"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.” - Muhammad Ali

Steve

• The Jaxson
I don't know how common my experience is, but EVERYONE was already taking their company laptop to and FROM work every day. You didn't leave it at work when the day was over.  Few people were going into the office (once it reopened) any more and the lease was up anyway, so we did not renew it. The question was asked about the company paying for individual internet and that was a fast 'No' because we already had to have the capability of working from home.   

I can tell you that companies paying for home internet during this is definitely a thing. Some of this is legit (people have had to upgrade internet for more video calls, etc.) while other aspect are (in a lot of ways) companies keeping up with the Jones' in terms of employee perks. Either way, for Company ABC it's definitely a thing.

Plus, while I have (and our IT staff) have a laptop, there are other folks that are issued desktops as traditionally their jobs were truly 9-5 and never had to do things after hours. We didn't issue laptops but some people took their computers home, which adds risk as people drop computers, monitors, etc. While not truly a common thing, it happens.

Now all of that aside, I honestly believe that Adecco had this in mind when they bought MPS a few years back and moved their HQ out of downtown.

Fallen Buckeye

^12 years later and I still believe 301 is fine. We don't need to spent billions on a highway between Gainesville and Jax.

The real issue is not the physical connectivity of Gainesville and Jax that prevents us from better leveraging UF as an asset for attracting employers. It's a perceptual divide.

To the extent possible, Jax ought to be cultivating a deeper relationship UF that brings students to the area for various initiatives beyond just healthcare. Then it needs to effectively communicate that connection to the world. For instance, imagine COJ partnering with UF to create a community development institute focused on how policy and infrastructure investment can help underserved communities in NW Jax. That would be fantastic press for the city. There are tons of opportunities to show that our city has access to this talent resource while tangibly benefiting our city.

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
^ Great points!
"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.” - Muhammad Ali

marcuscnelson

• Gen Z - Tired of the status quo
^12 years later and I still believe 301 is fine. We don't need to spent billions on a highway between Gainesville and Jax.

The real issue is not the physical connectivity of Gainesville and Jax that prevents us from better leveraging UF as an asset for attracting employers. It's a perceptual divide.

To the extent possible, Jax ought to be cultivating a deeper relationship UF that brings students to the area for various initiatives beyond just healthcare. Then it needs to effectively communicate that connection to the world. For instance, imagine COJ partnering with UF to create a community development institute focused on how policy and infrastructure investment can help underserved communities in NW Jax. That would be fantastic press for the city. There are tons of opportunities to show that our city has access to this talent resource while tangibly benefiting our city.

What about UF's JaxLab? Or is there something deeper you're looking for?

I generally agree, although I think there's a reasonable case for doing both. Physically enhancing the connectivity between the two in a way that makes them harder to separate, and culturally closing the perception gap. It's a lot easier to bring students to the area IMO if we can point to Union Terminal and say "hop on the Stadler DMU there and you'll be steps from campus within the hour" and easing the back and forth. Obviously that's expensive, but we're brainstorming here. From the culture standpoint, I can definitely see the potential in building a partnership to invest in communities. Of course the hope is moving beyond fantastic press and delivering tangible events, but that's probably a given and I'm being pedantic.
So, to the young people fighting in this movement for change, here is my charge: march in the streets, protest, run for school committee or city council or the state legislature. And win. - Ed Markey

Fallen Buckeye

I generally agree, although I think there's a reasonable case for doing both. Physically enhancing the connectivity between the two in a way that makes them harder to separate, and culturally closing the perception gap. It's a lot easier to bring students to the area IMO if we can point to Union Terminal and say "hop on the Stadler DMU there and you'll be steps from campus within the hour" and easing the back and forth. Obviously that's expensive, but we're brainstorming here. From the culture standpoint, I can definitely see the potential in building a partnership to invest in communities. Of course the hope is moving beyond fantastic press and delivering tangible events, but that's probably a given and I'm being pedantic.
That's interesting. I went to UF for grad school and had no idea JaxLab existed. That actually goes to show that Jax needs to find ways to make these programs more visible to the public.

landfall

That's interesting. I went to UF for grad school and had no idea JaxLab existed. That actually goes to show that Jax needs to find ways to make these programs more visible to the public.
I had absolutely no idea this existed either.

Another way in which the ineptitude of our city officials is highlighted.

marcuscnelson

• Gen Z - Tired of the status quo
Perhaps this is a case where the inverse of Hanlon’s Razor applies.

It’s not that our officials are too incompetent to bring attention to this program, it’s that they have zero interest in listening to recommendations that may be out of line with their biases and interests, so they simply ignore it entirely and marginalize it into irrelevance.

Curry’s a UF alum, I’d be pretty shocked if the school he graduated from, a stone’s throw from the city he runs, genuinely hasn’t tried to help or simply flailed in the face of incompetence. The good ol’ boys winning over everyone else is a realistic possibility.
So, to the young people fighting in this movement for change, here is my charge: march in the streets, protest, run for school committee or city council or the state legislature. And win. - Ed Markey

ProjectMaximus

• Firewalking Journey

I had absolutely no idea this existed either.

Another way in which the ineptitude of our city officials is highlighted.

To be fair, isn't Jaxlab an initiative that was just created a couple months ago? I think they were still in discussion/planning phase in October so must have been implemented after that.

fieldafm

• Editor
The UF thing isn't really a thing yet

Meanwhile, JU's Public Policy Institute already works with JU's graduate students seeking a Master in Public Policy, along with various civic institutions (like the Civic Council), media outlets (WJCT and WJXT), COJ and others on doing those exact things.

https://www.ju.edu/publicpolicy/index.php