Author Topic: Mayor, local leaders to discuss improvements in Downtown Jacksonville  (Read 11683 times)

fsu813

Re: Mayor, local leaders to discuss improvements in Downtown Jacksonville
« Reply #75 on: June 23, 2021, 09:31:55 PM »
Sulzbacher Homeless Center may move to formerly contaminated site

JACKSONVILLE, FLa. — Action News Jax Ben Becker has learned the Sulzbacher Homeless Center in downtown Jacksonville is exploring moving and a member of the city council says they believe it’s going to a formerly contaminated site in their district.

The possible location is the former Fairfax Street Wood Treaters plant which was an Environmental Protection Agency Superfund Site on the Northside. It was polluted for decades before it was finally cleaned up in 2020.

Full article: https://www.actionnewsjax.com/news/investigates/investigates-sulzbacher-homeless-center-may-move-formerly-contaminated-site/HYWQOHHHK5E2LNBDKQYGFYJCEI/

The Sulzbacher Center, as most know it now, is not what the Sulzbacher of the future sees for itself. Wherever they move, it's known they'll try and replicate (with tweaks) the Sulzbacher Village development on the Northside/Brentwood - that's basically affordable housing with some transitional housing mixed in, and wrap around services on site. Not a traditional shelter a la City Rescue Mission or Trinity Rescue Mission. Today, the Urban Rest Stop is actually the draw for a lot of the nerdowells that linger near Sulzbacher Center, which is on their campus, not actually programs/services that Sulzbacher directly offers.

As with many things, it's a layered issue.

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #76 on: June 23, 2021, 10:51:44 PM »
They should stick it in Queens Harbor. The biggest problem here is that decisions are being made with little to no regard for community engagement and input. There were a lot of things that were discussed that the surrounding community would have liked to see on the Fairfax property. This particular use wasn't among that list.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2021, 10:53:52 PM by thelakelander »
"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.” - Muhammad Ali

heights unknown

• HEIGHTS UNKNOWN (HOT DAMMIT!) YES...SUPER TALLS!!!
    • FRESH START SOCIAL SERVICE AGENCY
« Reply #77 on: June 24, 2021, 06:18:34 PM »
Sulzbacher Homeless Center may move to formerly contaminated site

JACKSONVILLE, FLa. — Action News Jax Ben Becker has learned the Sulzbacher Homeless Center in downtown Jacksonville is exploring moving and a member of the city council says they believe it’s going to a formerly contaminated site in their district.

The possible location is the former Fairfax Street Wood Treaters plant which was an Environmental Protection Agency Superfund Site on the Northside. It was polluted for decades before it was finally cleaned up in 2020.

Full article: https://www.actionnewsjax.com/news/investigates/investigates-sulzbacher-homeless-center-may-move-formerly-contaminated-site/HYWQOHHHK5E2LNBDKQYGFYJCEI/

The Sulzbacher Center, as most know it now, is not what the Sulzbacher of the future sees for itself. Wherever they move, it's known they'll try and replicate (with tweaks) the Sulzbacher Village development on the Northside/Brentwood - that's basically affordable housing with some transitional housing mixed in, and wrap around services on site. Not a traditional shelter a la City Rescue Mission or Trinity Rescue Mission. Today, the Urban Rest Stop is actually the draw for a lot of the nerdowells that linger near Sulzbacher Center, which is on their campus, not actually programs/services that Sulzbacher directly offers.

As with many things, it's a layered issue.
That's fine, or, wherever the heck they move it; but don't put it on a contaminated site, and, I am sure, if they do the right and legitimate thing, they will do tests, clean it up, etc. But I would never build it on any site that was previously contaminated.
PLEASE FEEL FREE TO ACCESS MY PERSONAL FACEBOOK PAGE AT: https://www.facebook.com/garrybernardcoston.personal/ or, access my Social Service national/world wide page if you love supporting charities/social entities at: http://www.freshstartsocialagency.com; thank you!!!

BridgeTroll

• Global Moderator
  • The average person thinks he isnt
    • London Bridge Pub
« Reply #78 on: June 25, 2021, 06:34:37 AM »
It's is no longer contaminated but I agree with Lake that moving it there without input and approval of the neighborhood is not acceptable. Optics or not... it is not the way to do things like this...
In a boat at sea one of the men began to bore a hole in the bottom of the boat. On being remonstrating with, he answered, "I am only boring under my own seat." "Yes," said his companions, "but when the sea rushes in we shall all be drowned with you."