Author Topic: Mayor, local leaders to discuss improvements in Downtown Jacksonville  (Read 12447 times)

marcuscnelson

• Gen Z - Tired of the status quo
Re: Mayor, local leaders to discuss improvements in Downtown Jacksonville
« Reply #15 on: February 22, 2021, 12:21:20 PM »
Was anyone able to attend today's meeting?
So, to the young people fighting in this movement for change, here is my charge: march in the streets, protest, run for school committee or city council or the state legislature. And win. - Ed Markey

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #16 on: February 22, 2021, 12:52:40 PM »
Unfortunately not. Would have if it were virtual. Otherwise, in general there wasn't enough notice for inclusive participation from a public involvement and community outreach perspective.
"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.” - Muhammad Ali

Steve

• The Jaxson
« Reply #17 on: February 22, 2021, 01:05:10 PM »
This whole thing felt like Window Dressing to be honest. No local retail/restaurant small business owners (I don't count Hanania) and if you're going to make it big businesses, how do you exclude Brian Wolfburg (VyStar CEO).

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #18 on: February 22, 2021, 01:05:39 PM »
Looking at twitter:

Mayor
@lennycurry
: says he committed to the city that you would not recognize downtown Jax by the time he left office.

-Lists new HQ for FIS, JTA, JEA

-Says the successful revitalization of the urban core is not only about big, flashy things but also details

https://twitter.com/RenataFCNews/status/1363851784532463617

"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.” - Muhammad Ali

jaxlongtimer

« Reply #19 on: February 22, 2021, 01:10:01 PM »
Unfortunately not. Would have if it were virtual. Otherwise, in general there wasn't enough notice for inclusive participation from a public involvement and community outreach perspective.

Don't feel bad.  If you didn't donate to Curry's campaign, he had no interest in hearing from you.  And, based on past history, even if you did donate, he probably didn't want to hear from you.

By the way, this was an interesting letter to the T-U about Lori Boyer:

What happened to Lori Boyer?

As a San Marco resident I was always pleased with Lori Boyer’s representation of our district on the City Council. She seemed attuned to the needs of the area and advocated on our behalf. I was also impressed by her recognition of the importance of the St Johns River to the identity and livability of the city. She made efforts to increase access to the river and make it the centerpiece of activity in the urban core.

After becoming CEO of the Downtown Investment Authority (DIA) though, she seems to have succumbed to the groupthink that has guided city leaders and planners for years. That is, add more concrete and pavement to the downtown area and people will want to live there. A mindset where livability and visual appeal appear to be foreign concepts. She also seems to concur with the thinking that any downtown area with soil, grass, and natural elements is a wasted opportunity for development and a drag on the tax roll.

I am surprised by this because I thought she would bring a fresh perspective to the DIA and take steps to increase the livability of the downtown area. What she has done, though, is perpetuated the notion that greenspace is nothing more than another opportunity for a new structure or parking lot. This is a shame because there is now greenspace in the urban core and along the river that could be converted to an interconnected park system that would be the envy of other cities and make the urban core a desirable place to live.

Such parks would also serve as a resilient, natural barrier to river overflow. If she and other city planners were not under the spell of a stale urban planning philosophy, they might realize the once in a lifetime opportunity they have. Lori, please return to your roots and break the shackles of the dated school of thought that guided many failed downtown ventures of the past. Please don’t miss this one-time opportunity!

Logan Cross, San Marco

https://www.jacksonville.com/story/opinion/2021/02/20/letters-readers-when-america-great/4512008001/

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #20 on: February 22, 2021, 05:55:20 PM »
Reading this article, looking up the make up of this group and the poor level of community outreach and public involvement, I don't have high hopes of anything good coming out of this. Part of me would rather these guys support what's already happening in downtown, get out of the way and let the next administration deal with some of the lawns and dead spaces that have been created over the last few years.

What is the future of development in downtown Jacksonville? This group will help decide

Mayor Curry rejects reputation as “Tear Down Mayor”

There are new questions this week about the future of downtown Jacksonville.

The mayor put a group of business leaders together to determine what’s next. The new group is hoping to overcome some hurdles like the Lot J plan that didn’t pass.

Two years ago when the city blew up old City Hall, it was supposed to be a catalyst of major downtown development. Now it’s just an open field still waiting for development. The same thing where the old courthouse stood — just a grassy field.

Then a year ago, The Jacksonville Landing came down. That resulted in another big grassy field downtown and there are no concrete plans for what’s going to take its place.

While talks are in the works on both sites, there are other projects that also have been left in the dust such as the rejected Lot J development.

The sting of projects has left Curry with the reputation as the “Tear Down Mayor.”

“I resent that premise,” Curry said. “Things have happened downtown.”

Full article: https://www.news4jax.com/news/local/2021/02/22/what-is-the-future-of-downtown-jacksonville-this-group-will-help-decide/
« Last Edit: February 22, 2021, 05:59:57 PM by thelakelander »

jcjohnpaint

• Jason John- www.jasonjohnart.com
    • Jason John Website
« Reply #21 on: February 22, 2021, 06:59:44 PM »
Sit this crew down and make them read the last 10 years of MJ and Jaxon articles and there might be hope.

Charles Hunter

« Reply #22 on: February 22, 2021, 07:31:16 PM »
I saw the WJXT report on their noon news. Although the "tear-down mayor" appellation is correct, I think Jim Piggot was trying to score "aggressive reporter points" by asking about that.  That is the only question of his shown on WJXT, so if it wasn't his only question, the folks at WJXT deemed it the most important. He could have even alluded to past failed attempts by Curry and his predecessors by asking "How will things be different this time?"  Less confrontational.  C'mon Jim, you've been here for decades, you ain't going to the network or a primo market like Atlanta.

I haven't seen any other newscasts, but here is a quote from First Coast News
First Coast News wanted to know what makes this time talking about downtown revitalization different. Rood says it's a combination of things.

"A combination of the mayor wanting to finish his downtown efforts and make it look a little bit better than it looks," he said. "And people in the city realizing a great city needs a great downtown and employers realizing that their employees want to live downtown. Let's give them the product that they want."
https://www.firstcoastnews.com/article/news/local/jacksonville-mayor-discusses-downtown-improvements/77-68afb46a-0b6e-4722-87a4-16b17d471f6d

Action News focused on homelessness - https://www.actionnewsjax.com/news/local/newly-formed-mayors-taskforce-focus-revitalizing-downtown-jacksonville/XJIL3VRLLBCHRPGS2ZJRUTWLRM/

fsu813

« Reply #23 on: February 22, 2021, 08:22:25 PM »

I haven't seen any other

Action News focused on homelessness - https://www.actionnewsjax.com/news/local/newly-formed-mayors-taskforce-focus-revitalizing-downtown-jacksonville/XJIL3VRLLBCHRPGS2ZJRUTWLRM/

“We’ve got to address the possible decentralization of homeless assistance ecocenter within our Downtown Northbank,” - Wallace

I've been telling people this (including on this forum) for years.

It'd be MUCH faster to incentivize the relocation of, say, Trinity Recue Mission and City Rescue Mission, the two true night by night shelters and the worst offenders regarding blight, to less problematic locations, than to wait for organic vibrancy to occur, by adding 10, 15, 20k residents in Downtown, which has often been cited as the solution to homeless nuisances (add more vibrancy, you won't notice the homeless as much).

Waiting for 15-20k new residents & organic vibrancy will take a decade or more, while moving a couple shelters could take a 2-3 years.

acme54321

« Reply #24 on: February 22, 2021, 08:27:09 PM »
Yep, the homeless problem has gotten out of control down there.

jaxlongtimer

« Reply #25 on: February 22, 2021, 11:08:38 PM »
Ennis & Co., prepare for disappointment here!

They are talking quicker code enforcement, better lighting, cleaner streets.  All great but, other than the homeless concerns, they don't appear to be addressing clustering, transportation (2 way streets, pedestrian aspects, mass transit, etc.), zoning, green space/parks, street activities/facings, small business development, retail, infrastructure investments (notice the multiplying potholes & poorly designed/kept sidewalks Downtown - and all over for that matter), landscaping, public art, interaction with the river, events, increased policing, etc.

By the way, pre-COVID, there was nothing more frustrating than to wait for traffic lights to let theater/arena traffic out (especially to the river crossings) based on mid-day traffic counts.  Unlike the Jags, there is no one around to facilitate a couple of hours of inbound and outbound theater/downtown event goers.  Just adds to the headaches of going Downtown.

Curry & Co. just don't get it. (P.S. I see Downtown Vision is also not on the invite list.  Guess they failed to donate to Curry too.)

From the T-U:
.....“We’re not proposing a convention center," Rood said. "We’re just proposing things that can be acted upon quickly."

He said the presence of homeless people in downtown would be the "most challenging" of the issues discussed during the meeting.

Other issues could be faster fixes in terms of stepping up code enforcement of property violations, increasing the brightness of nighttime lighting, and general clean-up....

https://www.jacksonville.com/story/news/local/2021/02/22/new-working-group-recommend-downtown-jacksonville-improvements/4538285001/
« Last Edit: February 22, 2021, 11:15:20 PM by jaxlongtimer »

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #26 on: February 23, 2021, 07:19:45 AM »
I'm actually not disappointed in this group investing in the routine maintenance of downtown. These are no-brainer things that should have been apparent six years ago. These are things that help the development that's currently taking place in the Northbank. I'm actually happier with cleaning up the place (assuming they don't go start bulldozing historically significant buildings.....especially in LaVilla and Brooklyn) and them not trying to force through big ticket items like building a new convention center.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2021, 08:07:17 AM by thelakelander »

bl8jaxnative

« Reply #27 on: February 23, 2021, 07:45:29 AM »

First step, clean your room.

vicupstate

« Reply #28 on: February 23, 2021, 08:39:29 AM »
When I hear/read 'cleaning up' in Jacksonville, that always seems to mean tearing down buildings. That may not be the ONLY thing involved, but it unusually is a component and a larger one at that. 
"The problem with quotes on the internet is you can never be certain they're authentic." - Abraham Lincoln

heights unknown

• HEIGHTS UNKNOWN (HOT DAMMIT!) YES...SUPER TALLS!!!
    • FRESH START SOCIAL SERVICE AGENCY
« Reply #29 on: February 23, 2021, 09:43:51 AM »
So.....WTH took Curry so long to realize all of this? Playing with Shad Khan in the toy box, or looking to put more money in his pocket somehow? I just wonder...I just wonder.
PLEASE FEEL FREE TO ACCESS MY PERSONAL FACEBOOK PAGE AT: https://www.facebook.com/garrybernardcoston.personal/ or, access my Social Service national/world wide page if you love supporting charities/social entities at: http://www.freshstartsocialagency.com; thank you!!!