Author Topic: Laura Street Trio finally headed to DDRB  (Read 16962 times)

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
Re: Laura Street Trio finally headed to DDRB
« Reply #60 on: September 14, 2021, 11:14:22 PM »
Council approves Laura Street Trio redevelopment plan

The long proposed Laura Street Trio redevelopment project has received City Council approval for $24.67 million financing package.

Read More: https://www.thejaxsonmag.com/article/council-approves-laura-street-trio-redevelopment-plan/
"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.” - Muhammad Ali

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #61 on: September 15, 2021, 07:18:47 AM »
I don't think she meant to imply that the Trio should be torn down, but she definitely implied a general hostility to incentives focused on historic adaptive reuse.

But massive subsidies for projects on vacant land like Lot J is okay??

She's not a fan of putting money into historic properties. From the article:

“Now that we just gave them an extra $2 million, there’s essentially no cash that they’re putting into this,” she said.

“Now, I have ... philosophical reasons on why we shouldn’t be giving money for historic properties. I think that if the private sector doesn’t see that it’s something we should be doing and it’s not going to make money, then I would just rather, for the most part, tear them (the Trio) down and build something else that does make money.”
"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.” - Muhammad Ali

jcjohnpaint

• Jason John- www.jasonjohnart.com
    • Jason John Website
« Reply #62 on: September 15, 2021, 08:30:22 AM »
 ;D ;D ;D

vicupstate

« Reply #63 on: September 15, 2021, 08:59:04 AM »
I don't think she meant to imply that the Trio should be torn down, but she definitely implied a general hostility to incentives focused on historic adaptive reuse.

If

“Now that we just gave them an extra $2 million, there’s essentially no cash that they’re putting into this,” she said.

“Now, I have ... philosophical reasons on why we shouldn’t be giving money for historic properties. I think that if the private sector doesn’t see that it’s something we should be doing and it’s not going to make money, then I would just rather, for the most part, tear them (the Trio) down and build something else that does make money.”

Maybe someone should show her the rent per SF in historic downtowns, versus the rent per SF in DT Jacksonville. 
"The problem with quotes on the internet is you can never be certain they're authentic." - Abraham Lincoln

Captain Zissou

« Reply #64 on: September 15, 2021, 09:26:15 AM »
Maybe someone should show her the rent per SF in historic downtowns, versus the rent per SF in DT Jacksonville. 

Her husband owns or owned a number of properties in San Marco, she used to be the president of the San Marco Preservation Society, and she lives in a home on River Road built in 1935.  She should know better than anyone the value of historic buildings.  I'm not at all surprised that she believes this, but I'm quite surprised she actually said it on the record.

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #65 on: September 15, 2021, 09:34:17 AM »

If

The biggest problem with her quote is that she ended up voting for Lot J. That was new and wasn't worth it to the developer without $250 million in public incentives and up front cash. Jax could have incentivized 10 Laura Street Trio type deals with the money we were about to flush down the toilet on Lot J.

fsu813

« Reply #66 on: September 15, 2021, 09:39:59 AM »

Her husband owns or owned a number of properties in San Marco, she used to be the president of the San Marco Preservation Society, and she lives in a home on River Road built in 1935.  She should know better than anyone the value of historic buildings.  I'm not at all surprised that she believes this, but I'm quite surprised she actually said it on the record.

It's not a coincidence that San Marco has declined pursuing local Historic District designation multiple times. Her mentality is not uncommon.

vicupstate

« Reply #67 on: September 15, 2021, 10:10:58 AM »

It's not a coincidence that San Marco has declined pursuing local Historic District designation multiple times. Her mentality is not uncommon.

A lot of people don't understand or just don't want to deal with the restrictions, etc that come with historic designations. That isn't the same as not understanding or appreciating the intrinsic value of historic properties. 
"The problem with quotes on the internet is you can never be certain they're authentic." - Abraham Lincoln

Tacachale

• Administrator
« Reply #68 on: September 15, 2021, 11:40:03 AM »

The Braindead Coalition strikes again.
Do you believe that when the blue jay or another bird sings and the body is trembling, that is a signal that people are coming or something important is about to happen?

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #69 on: September 15, 2021, 11:53:37 AM »

A lot of people don't understand or just don't want to deal with the restrictions, etc that come with historic designations. That isn't the same as not understanding or appreciating the intrinsic value of historic properties. 

The requirements behind local historic districts can be pretty difficult on the property owner. Since affordable housing is a major concern with the Eastside, we're pursuing a national register designation for that neighborhood as opposed to a local designation, which would only help gentrify it. National is more honorary and places no restrictions on the property owner, unless the property owner decides to take advantage of tax credit, incentive and/or grant programs associated with it. Overall, combined with some slight zoning changes to provide additional market rate protection to the existing building stock, historic integrity and sense of place of the neighborhood, its a more equitable and inclusive way of dealing with preservation in historically excluded communities using policies and processes already on the books.

Captain Zissou

« Reply #70 on: September 15, 2021, 12:01:30 PM »
Carlucci dropped some knowledge on Cumber in his comments last night.  If you watch the meeting online she starts around 3:05 and he comes roaring in at 3:11 on the broadcast. 

landfall

« Reply #71 on: September 15, 2021, 03:31:14 PM »
So is there anything left now before work begins?

heights unknown

• HEIGHTS UNKNOWN (HOT DAMMIT!) YES...SUPER TALLS!!!
    • FRESH START SOCIAL SERVICE AGENCY
« Reply #72 on: September 15, 2021, 08:19:28 PM »
Tonight, Council debated the additional $2M request from the developer to release an outstanding lien on the Trio leftover from the Barnett project, which release will permit closing on the financing.

CM Cumber had the audacity to raise parallels to Lot J and complain that this $2M has not been through the DIA process, and she therefore will not support the $2M addition. Key context:
  • CM Cumber voted yes on Lot J.
  • She is "philosophically opposed" to historic preservation if the economics don't stand on their own. If the economics don't work, she'd rather "tear the buildings down and allow something that makes sense" to be built there instead. Presumably this makes sense because Lot J was economically feasible on it's own, and the economics on all our tear-downs have worked out great for the City.  /s
  • She was, thankfully, the only "no" vote on the legislation.
I guess "SHE" thinks, or, to HER a PARKING LOT would MAKE SENSE. I'd like to know what did she have in mind that made sense. I'll bet she doesn't have a clue; and in the meantime, if they tore those buildings down, a parking lot would go there indefinitely...oh, wait, or how about a plush lawn right smack in the middle of the downtown/urban core. That's the way Jacksonville rolls.......isn't it?
PLEASE FEEL FREE TO ACCESS MY PERSONAL FACEBOOK PAGE AT: https://www.facebook.com/garrybernardcoston.personal/ or, access my Social Service national/world wide page if you love supporting charities/social entities at: http://www.freshstartsocialagency.com; thank you!!!

heights unknown

• HEIGHTS UNKNOWN (HOT DAMMIT!) YES...SUPER TALLS!!!
    • FRESH START SOCIAL SERVICE AGENCY
« Reply #73 on: September 15, 2021, 08:27:12 PM »
Council approves Laura Street Trio redevelopment plan

The long proposed Laura Street Trio redevelopment project has received City Council approval for $24.67 million financing package.

Read More: https://www.thejaxsonmag.com/article/council-approves-laura-street-trio-redevelopment-plan/
THANK GOD!!!!!!!
PLEASE FEEL FREE TO ACCESS MY PERSONAL FACEBOOK PAGE AT: https://www.facebook.com/garrybernardcoston.personal/ or, access my Social Service national/world wide page if you love supporting charities/social entities at: http://www.freshstartsocialagency.com; thank you!!!

Ken_FSU

« Reply #74 on: September 17, 2021, 10:54:18 AM »
Busy month, looks like everyone already covered it well, but just dropping by to quickly appreciate LeAnna Cumber and Rory Diamond abstaining/opposing $27 million in incentives to turn three of our most blighted, historically significant buildings in the most strategically important corridor in Downtown Jacksonville into a 145-room Marriott, restaurant, rooftop bar, and bodega while just months ago cheerleading a $300 million debt-financed handout to the Jags for a 120-room hotel, restaurants, Daily's bodega, and event space.   

Good job, guys!

Horrifying quote about historic preservation from Cumber, btw.

Spoken like somebody who has never stepped foot outside of Jacksonville and experienced the character of other urban areas in her life.

Excited to see the garage already underway next-door, and really excited to see this one finally come to life.

Interesting that Atkins has this project scoped at $70 million while the Barnett alone ended up at nearly $60 million.