Author Topic: Laura Street Trio finally headed to DDRB  (Read 18302 times)

Ken_FSU

Re: Laura Street Trio finally headed to DDRB
« Reply #45 on: July 29, 2021, 03:18:40 PM »
https://www.jaxdailyrecord.com/article/bill-introduced-for-dollar24-67-million-in-incentives-for-downtown-trio-renovation

Let's go!

Drink every time a City Council member who voted for a $250 million Lot J subsidy in the sports complex parking lot grumbles about spending $25 million for a catalytic project in the heart of the CBD.

marcuscnelson

• Gen Z - Tired of the status quo
« Reply #46 on: July 29, 2021, 03:22:29 PM »
https://www.jaxdailyrecord.com/article/bill-introduced-for-dollar24-67-million-in-incentives-for-downtown-trio-renovation

Let's go!

Drink every time a City Council member who voted for a $250 million Lot J subsidy in the sports complex parking lot grumbles about spending $25 million for a catalytic project in the heart of the CBD.

No, because 1) that's still illegal for me and 2) I don't want alcohol poisoning.
So, to the young people fighting in this movement for change, here is my charge: march in the streets, protest, run for school committee or city council or the state legislature. And win. - Ed Markey

heights unknown

• HEIGHTS UNKNOWN (HOT DAMMIT!) YES...SUPER TALLS!!!
    • FRESH START SOCIAL SERVICE AGENCY
« Reply #47 on: July 29, 2021, 08:06:21 PM »

Let's go!

I'm happy that this project seems to be on the road and on the way; but September? They are so damn slow in Jax. Well, patience is virtue so they say, and, when this project gets underway and then finished, we all will be happy in love!
PLEASE FEEL FREE TO ACCESS MY PERSONAL FACEBOOK PAGE AT: https://www.facebook.com/garrybernardcoston.personal/ or, access my Social Service national/world wide page if you love supporting charities/social entities at: http://www.freshstartsocialagency.com; thank you!!!

jcjohnpaint

• Jason John- www.jasonjohnart.com
    • Jason John Website
« Reply #48 on: July 29, 2021, 08:44:06 PM »
I don’t know if patients is good in this town. All honesty, I would jut love to see this project start.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2021, 08:46:56 PM by jcjohnpaint »

heights unknown

• HEIGHTS UNKNOWN (HOT DAMMIT!) YES...SUPER TALLS!!!
    • FRESH START SOCIAL SERVICE AGENCY
« Reply #49 on: July 29, 2021, 09:27:28 PM »
I don’t know if patients is good in this town. All honesty, I would jut love to see this project start.
In Miami, Tampa, Orlando, St. Pete, (and there are other smaller cities), when they announce a project, they start shoveling dirt and moving cranes in yesterday. In Jax it takes 2 years or more, or even never, for a project or development that's been announced and/or approved to get underway.
PLEASE FEEL FREE TO ACCESS MY PERSONAL FACEBOOK PAGE AT: https://www.facebook.com/garrybernardcoston.personal/ or, access my Social Service national/world wide page if you love supporting charities/social entities at: http://www.freshstartsocialagency.com; thank you!!!

WAJAS

« Reply #50 on: July 29, 2021, 10:22:56 PM »
In Miami, Tampa, Orlando, St. Pete, (and there are other smaller cities), when they announce a project, they start shoveling dirt and moving cranes in yesterday. In Jax it takes 2 years or more, or even never, for a project or development that's been announced and/or approved to get underway.

At least in regards to Orlando, this is not true. The Sports & Entertainment District has been announced since 2017. All they have done is demo a perfectly good garage with ground-floor retail and the police HQ. Society has gone through 3+ names in as many years. I can go on, but I think Jax is unique in that many of the projects are viewed as "downtown saving" with high publicity. Not to mention many of them are megaprojects that never happen, like the Shipyards (v1,2,3...), Lot J, The District, etc. Granted it seems The District is finally starting.

landfall

« Reply #51 on: July 30, 2021, 07:35:34 AM »
The pace of this project is why I have increasing doubts about the viability of the Riverfront Jax plan.

Zac T

« Reply #52 on: July 30, 2021, 09:40:37 AM »

At least in regards to Orlando, this is not true. The Sports & Entertainment District has been announced since 2017. All they have done is demo a perfectly good garage with ground-floor retail and the police HQ. Society has gone through 3+ names in as many years. I can go on, but I think Jax is unique in that many of the projects are viewed as "downtown saving" with high publicity. Not to mention many of them are megaprojects that never happen, like the Shipyards (v1,2,3...), Lot J, The District, etc. Granted it seems The District is finally starting.

It's slow in Tampa as well. The riverfront property that Trump was supposed to build a tower on back in the 2000's has had 3-4 different owners and multiple proposals since then, including the tallest building in Florida outside Miami, and it's still sitting there. Now they have a new proposal for a 37-story tower but we'll see how it goes. Water Street Tampa is moving but Ybor seems to get its fair share of proposals with pretty renderings that never actually happen.

Ken_FSU

« Reply #53 on: July 30, 2021, 10:58:27 AM »
I'm happy that this project seems to be on the road and on the way; but September? They are so damn slow in Jax. Well, patience is virtue so they say, and, when this project gets underway and then finished, we all will be happy in love!

Totally agree on many projects in Jacksonville, just not on this one.

I really admire Steve Atkins, and though the Trio has been slow to progress, you can't fault the guy's passion and perseverance.

He absolutely crushed it with the Barnett (full occupancy with 40 people on the wait list), and he learned a lot of lessons from the project (and its cost overruns) that can be applied to the Trio.

Many of the delays on the Trio post-Barnett were out of Southeast's control. Lots of red tape to get through when you're talking about three historical structures. Lots of red tape to get through when the city amends its historical preservation fund. And lots of red tape to get through when you need to go through two DIA reviews and City Council for the new incentives deal.

Would like to see it advance more quickly than September, but when you're talking about nearly $30 million in public contribution, I'm all for giving it the necessary time.

Atkins has a great plan for this project and the Marriott is going to be a massive addition to the CBD.

I think the project will be off to the races this fall, will be worth the wait, and is no way indicative of how fast or slow any new construction he leads along the riverfront might be.

jcjohnpaint

• Jason John- www.jasonjohnart.com
    • Jason John Website
« Reply #54 on: July 30, 2021, 01:11:00 PM »
I've been excited about this project since I moved here 11 years ago. Never seen it this far along. I think it will really add to the connectivity in Laura Street, creating the vibrancy needed. To be honest, I feel the Barnett looks more beautiful than I'd ever imagined.

jaxoNOLE

« Reply #55 on: September 14, 2021, 08:06:04 PM »
Tonight, Council debated the additional $2M request from the developer to release an outstanding lien on the Trio leftover from the Barnett project, which release will permit closing on the financing.

CM Cumber had the audacity to raise parallels to Lot J and complain that this $2M has not been through the DIA process, and she therefore will not support the $2M addition. Key context:
  • CM Cumber voted yes on Lot J.
  • She is "philosophically opposed" to historic preservation if the economics don't stand on their own. If the economics don't work, she'd rather "tear the buildings down and allow something that makes sense" to be built there instead. Presumably this makes sense because Lot J was economically feasible on it's own, and the economics on all our tear-downs have worked out great for the City.  /s
  • She was, thankfully, the only "no" vote on the legislation.

Steve

• The Jaxson
« Reply #56 on: September 14, 2021, 08:15:46 PM »
Tonight, Council debated the additional $2M request from the developer to release an outstanding lien on the Trio leftover from the Barnett project, which release will permit closing on the financing.

CM Cumber had the audacity to raise parallels to Lot J and complain that this $2M has not been through the DIA process, and she therefore will not support the $2M addition. Key context:
  • CM Cumber voted yes on Lot J.
  • She is "philosophically opposed" to historic preservation if the economics don't stand on their own. If the economics don't work, she'd rather "tear the buildings down and allow something that makes sense" to be built there instead. Presumably this makes sense because Lot J was economically feasible on it's own, and the economics on all our tear-downs have worked out great for the City.  /s
  • She was, thankfully, the only "no" vote on the legislation.

Stop it. She represents San Marco.

I’m going to have to pull the tape of this council meeting.

jaxoNOLE

« Reply #57 on: September 14, 2021, 08:23:32 PM »
I don't think she meant to imply that the Trio should be torn down, but she definitely implied a general hostility to incentives focused on historic adaptive reuse.

vicupstate

« Reply #58 on: September 14, 2021, 09:11:28 PM »
I don't think she meant to imply that the Trio should be torn down, but she definitely implied a general hostility to incentives focused on historic adaptive reuse.

But massive subsidies for projects on vacant land like Lot J is okay??
"The problem with quotes on the internet is you can never be certain they're authentic." - Abraham Lincoln

jaxoNOLE

« Reply #59 on: September 14, 2021, 09:24:29 PM »
Apparently