Author Topic: More lanes for Interstate 10  (Read 1544 times)

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
More lanes for Interstate 10
« on: January 27, 2021, 07:38:54 AM »

A $176 million project to widen Interstate 10 through Jacksonville's Westside is set to begin this summer. The project will add two general purpose lanes in each direction between I-295 and I-95, construct noise barriers at prescribed locations, reconfigure exits to reduce weaving and widen bridges at 19 locations. Weather and unforeseen circumstances permitting, the project is expected to be completed by early 2025. The Florida Department of Transportation (FDOT) will host an open house Thursday, February 4 from 4:30 to 6 p.m. to share information and answer questions regarding the project. Here is a look at what's planned.

Read More: https://www.thejaxsonmag.com/article/more-lanes-for-interstate-10/

"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.” - Muhammad Ali

jaxlongtimer

Re: More lanes for Interstate 10
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2021, 12:39:37 PM »
I note that FDOT is adding tolled express lanes on I-95 and I-295 south of the City, and none on I-10 or I-295 west and north of the City.

marcuscnelson

• Gen Z - Tired of the status quo
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2021, 01:00:04 PM »
^ IIRC isn't that a matter of leadership? The last Governor supported tolled lanes, but the current one doesn't or something? Or is this just an unrelated change in priorities?

That aside, it's funny to look at this. $176 million for an extra lane or two, no problem. But if you propose that same amount for an entirely new mode of transport it's a massive deal. And I had no idea that much of I-10 was elevated like that.
So, to the young people fighting in this movement for change, here is my charge: march in the streets, protest, run for school committee or city council or the state legislature. And win. - Ed Markey

Papa33

« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2021, 01:42:10 PM »
Let's be real.  DOT should really be named Department of Highways and Roads.  Expanding and building roads and highways and then moving our tax dollars year in and year out to the select few contractors who get these jobs every year.

Charles Hunter

« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2021, 02:29:19 PM »
^ IIRC isn't that a matter of leadership? The last Governor supported tolled lanes, but the current one doesn't or something? Or is this just an unrelated change in priorities?

That aside, it's funny to look at this. $176 million for an extra lane or two, no problem. But if you propose that same amount for an entirely new mode of transport it's a massive deal. And I had no idea that much of I-10 was elevated like that.

You are correct, sir. Gov. Scott wanted all new capacity on Interstates and other limited-access roadways, to be toll lanes of some kind.  Gov. DeSantis does not want toll lanes. To Gov. Scott, it did not matter if the projected revenue from the toll lanes would cover the operating cost in the early years (eventually it must, or they couldn't sell the bonds), much less cover the construction cost of those lanes. There is more than $3.5 million programmed for "toll collection" on the two sections of Express Lanes on I-295 (Buckman Bridge to I-95 - $1,050,000 and SR 9B to JTB - $2,625,000).  This is from the Transportation Improvement Program on the NFTPO website
http://nftpo.dtstiptool.com/   - on the Search TIP tab, go to WORK MIX, and scroll down to TOLL COLLECTION and check it, then scroll down and hit the SEARCH button.

jaxlongtimer

« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2021, 03:46:15 PM »
Let's be real.  DOT should really be named Department of Highways and Roads.  Expanding and building roads and highways and then moving our tax dollars year in and year out to the select few contractors who get these jobs every year.

My perception is that FDOT professionals don't actually set most of their priorities, elected officials (that includes the Legislature, Governor, Mayor and North Florida TPO) do.  And since said elected officials have their pockets lined handsomely by developers and the construction/road building industries, it's no surprise whose bread they chose to butter.

Just look at the new interstates the legislature and governor have mandated that no one, including FDOT, asked for to line the western central and north sides of the State.  And, consider that the head of FDOT is an appointed official, not a transportation professional, and you can understand the ongoing politicization of their priorities.

Overall, they have created a funding system that, institutionally, strongly favors interstate projects over any other transportation infrastructure (can you remember the last time there were no interstate projects in the area?).  Local roads and mass transit suffer accordingly.  The only time the system bends is when they absolutely have no alternatives left (e.g. there is no room to widen the interstates or add to their mileage).

marcuscnelson

« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2021, 07:23:25 PM »
^ definitely. I spent six months helping run a campaign based around explaining the fact that developers contribute hundreds of thousands of dollars to local elections, with obvious returns in mind. The amount of money Gate and PARC and all the other real estate companies throw around to get their way is ridiculous.
So, to the young people fighting in this movement for change, here is my charge: march in the streets, protest, run for school committee or city council or the state legislature. And win. - Ed Markey

Florida Power And Light

« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2021, 08:54:00 PM »
Endless Loop

What is presented today has been years in production.

After all...... “ Growth Is Inevitable”..... can’t fight City Hall.

County Comp Plan process, public input/ vision easily manipulated.

Brannon Chaffee Sector Plan and Lake Asbury Sector Plan ( Skip one, see two) AKA Outer Beltway per ..... 1973 Local Government Act.
Clear speculative activity Re Official Records Book and Page...... Genesis Consulting, Betty Jane Triplett, Kopolouses..... For basic starters.

Now we see Western Duval and Baker I-10 / 301 projections and vesting..... loading up Intetstate just as seen and assumed for I-95 St Johns County

Lake will pontificate on Beltway and this subject, et al,but will likely never profile historical narrative let alone alter events.

« Last Edit: January 27, 2021, 09:12:41 PM by Florida Power And Light »

BridgeTroll

• Global Moderator
  • The average person thinks he isnt
    • London Bridge Pub
« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2021, 06:41:20 AM »

The good news Marcus is that those lanes costing $176 mil will be used and likely at capacity....
In a boat at sea one of the men began to bore a hole in the bottom of the boat. On being remonstrating with, he answered, "I am only boring under my own seat." "Yes," said his companions, "but when the sea rushes in we shall all be drowned with you."

Charles Hunter

« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2021, 07:55:45 AM »
More subsidy for development in Baker County and western Duval.

marcuscnelson

« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2021, 11:48:37 AM »

The good news Marcus is that those lanes costing $176 mil will be used and likely at capacity....

Yay for induced demand?  :o

Florida Power And Light

« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2021, 07:57:10 PM »
Florida’s First Coast...... Where Miami Begins!

BridgeTroll

• Global Moderator
  • The average person thinks he isnt
    • London Bridge Pub
« Reply #12 on: January 30, 2021, 09:29:05 PM »

Yay for induced demand?  :o

Clearly you don’t drive that stretch of road. Now “induced demand “ might be the public transport options downtown most in Duval don’t want... and will not use... :) :)
In a boat at sea one of the men began to bore a hole in the bottom of the boat. On being remonstrating with, he answered, "I am only boring under my own seat." "Yes," said his companions, "but when the sea rushes in we shall all be drowned with you."

Florida Power And Light

« Reply #14 on: February 07, 2021, 09:15:42 PM »
1-10 / US 301
Southwest Quadrant
Comp Plan “ Revision” ‘ request’
I guess because we agreed the Ocala To Osceola National Forest Conservation Corridor would not include Quadrant we can fiddle with it.
The area residents have no idea that what they have seen and experienced at the quadrant is nothing like what Will Happen, nor do they have any idea how they may have altered outcome and what will happen.
1,000 Friends Of Florida: Fired!