Author Topic: Brumos Collection Auto Museum  (Read 725 times)

BridgeTroll

• Global Moderator
  • The average person thinks he isnt
    • London Bridge Pub
Brumos Collection Auto Museum
« on: January 20, 2021, 08:00:17 AM »
Located at 5159 San Pablo Road S. The museum spans three centuries of autos including the first Ford Model T produced here in Jacksonville.

Initially opened just prior to the Covid pandemic and has been closed since March.

https://www.thebrumoscollection.com/
In a boat at sea one of the men began to bore a hole in the bottom of the boat. On being remonstrating with, he answered, "I am only boring under my own seat." "Yes," said his companions, "but when the sea rushes in we shall all be drowned with you."

fieldafm

• Editor
Re: Brumos Collection Auto Museum
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2021, 08:11:31 AM »
The Davis family did an incredible job with this museum. The new space is way nicer than the previous museum located on the old Brumos property.  If you are at all into motorsports, I highly recommend going on a tour!

Building was modeled after the old, Albert Kahn-designed Ford factory underneath the Matthews Bridge

https://www.metrojacksonville.com/article/2008-jan-inside-the-ford-motor-company-assembly-plant

Steve

• The Jaxson
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2021, 08:41:50 AM »
Such a shame that it's not located in/near the core. But that aside, looks great!

fieldafm

• Editor
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2021, 09:06:24 AM »
Such a shame that it's not located in/near the core. But that aside, looks great!

The owners and curators of the museum built it on land they already own, which also just happens to be down the street from the museum chairman's personal home. So, I get it.

FYI, Dano and Jed Davis did consider the purchasing and renovating the actual old Ford Factory, but given the structural deficiencies of the over-water pilings, they couldn't make it work.

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2021, 09:22:10 AM »

The owners and curators of the museum built it on land they already own, which also just happens to be down the street from the museum chairman's personal home. So, I get it.

I really wish they could have been persuaded by the city or DIA to have built it in downtown. It's the exact type of cultural attraction they claim that we need more of in the CBD. Not that the owner needed it, but this is something I would have been in favor of them offering financial incentives to help convince the owner to build in the core for the greater good of the community. I have no doubt the Charlottes of the world would have found a way to do it. If we had a master plan that identified locations for catalytic projects like cultural attractions, I feel that we'd be more apt to jump on certain opportunities when they present themselves.
"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.” - Muhammad Ali

marcuscnelson

• Gen Z - Tired of the status quo
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2021, 01:23:48 PM »
FYI, Dano and Jed Davis did consider the purchasing and renovating the actual old Ford Factory, but given the structural deficiencies of the over-water pilings, they couldn't make it work.

That sounds concerning. Is the building salvageable if the pilings it's sitting on are not?
So, to the young people fighting in this movement for change, here is my charge: march in the streets, protest, run for school committee or city council or the state legislature. And win. - Ed Markey

fieldafm

• Editor
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2021, 01:44:45 PM »

That sounds concerning. Is the building salvageable if the pilings it's sitting on are not?

About half of the pier needs to be repaired.  Its been falling into the river for years now. This is from 2010, and its worse now. What you can't see from this picture is how many of the pilings underneath need to be replaced. Its not in danger of collapsing in on itself (depending of course on how much load its carrying up top), but it requires a substantial number of new pilings to stabilize it for the long-term.

The pier and building can be fixed... but how much money are you willing to spend in order to do so?  That a wealthy, civic-minded family decided to spend quite a few pretty pennies to build something new in order to house a type of use that itself will likely lose money each year, gives you a sense of how much money it will take to salvage the structure.  The former factory building is currently used for storage- the type that does not require heavy loads nor requires temperature control; as well as a docking facility for a ship repair business.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2021, 01:56:54 PM by fieldafm »

Charles Hunter

« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2021, 01:47:15 PM »
When I hit the PowerBall tonight ...

Captain Zissou

« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2021, 02:16:12 PM »
I really wish they could have been persuaded by the city or DIA to have built it in downtown. It's the exact type of cultural attraction they claim that we need more of in the CBD. Not that the owner needed it, but this is something I would have been in favor of them offering financial incentives to help convince the owner to build in the core for the greater good of the community.

I bet it would have cost a lot less than $250M too.