Author Topic: Trump planning to raise $2 billion for a presidential library, likely in Florida  (Read 2209 times)

Adam White

• Facebook
The guy got 74 million votes and over 46% of those who voted, voted for him.

I hate to break it to you, but he's popular (almost) everywhere.

It will be interesting, with the passage of time and Trump's legacy not standing up well to history, to see how many of those 74 million "can't recall" voting for Trump.  It's amazing how many fair weather friends populate the electorate.  We already see this with polling post the election and other recent events.

By the way, if you didn't catch it, be sure to watch a replay of the amazing poem offered today at the inauguration by super gifted/word prodigy Amanda Gordon, only 22 years old but wise way beyond her years, and the nation's youngest poet to participate in an inauguration.  History will likely quote her words, like Maya Angelou's poem recited for Bill Clinton's inauguration, far longer than any other words spoken today.  If you don't find it moving, you may not have blood in your veins :).

I didn't bother watching the inauguration and am not too fussed about the poem. In spite of studying English in college, I have never been a huge fan of poetry - at least not a fan of listening to people reading it. I don't mind reading it myself - but vapid platitudes about the USA aren't really my cup of tea. A lot of people seemed to like it, though - at least based on what I've seen in my Facebook news feed. That said, I recall a lot of people liking Angelou's poem and that was terrible.
“If you're going to play it out of tune, then play it out of tune properly.”

Tacachale

• Administrator

It will be interesting, with the passage of time and Trump's legacy not standing up well to history, to see how many of those 74 million "can't recall" voting for Trump.  It's amazing how many fair weather friends populate the electorate.  We already see this with polling post the election and other recent events.

By the way, if you didn't catch it, be sure to watch a replay of the amazing poem offered today at the inauguration by super gifted/word prodigy Amanda Gordon, only 22 years old but wise way beyond her years, and the nation's youngest poet to participate in an inauguration.  History will likely quote her words, like Maya Angelou's poem recited for Bill Clinton's inauguration, far longer than any other words spoken today.  If you don't find it moving, you may not have blood in your veins :).

I didn't bother watching the inauguration and am not too fussed about the poem. In spite of studying English in college, I have never been a huge fan of poetry - at least not a fan of listening to people reading it. I don't mind reading it myself - but vapid platitudes about the USA aren't really my cup of tea. A lot of people seemed to like it, though - at least based on what I've seen in my Facebook news feed. That said, I recall a lot of people liking Angelou's poem and that was terrible.

Philistine.
Do you believe that when the blue jay or another bird sings and the body is trembling, that is a signal that people are coming or something important is about to happen?

Adam White

• Facebook

Philistine.

I know. I'm the absolute worst.

FlaBoy

I actually think it ends up as part of one of his properties already. I don't think there is enough room near Mar-a-Lago. I would guess Doral in Miami where the city government just likes tourist attractions and Trump did very well in most of Miami-Dade.

fsu813

^ This.

jaxlongtimer

^ To add, Amanda Gorman, the poet, now has over 1.2 million Twitter followers and the top 2 spots on Amazon's best seller list even though neither book will be available until September.  She has also been interviewed by everyone from NPR and the NY Times to Anderson Cooper and James Corden.  So, I guess someone was impressed :).

Adam White

• Facebook
^ To add, Amanda Gorman, the poet, now has over 1.2 million Twitter followers and the top 2 spots on Amazon's best seller list even though neither book will be available until September.  She has also been interviewed by everyone from NPR and the NY Times to Anderson Cooper and James Corden.  So, I guess someone was impressed :).

I'm not going to offer an opinion on Gorman - she might well be very talented. I just didn't find her poem to be my 'thing' or whatever.

But if you're going to talk about popularity being a metric of quality, keep in mind that Donald Trump had over 80 million followers on Twitter and Thomas Kinkade made many milions of dollars and had shops...er, "galleries"... selling his paintings in shopping malls around the USA (and beyond).

MusicMan

80 million followers does not mean 80 million fans.....   Perhaps your impressed with his numbers, you mention them a lot.

Quite frankly he got his ass beat by Biden, so there's that.

Adam White

• Facebook
80 million followers does not mean 80 million fans.....   Perhaps your impressed with his numbers, you mention them a lot.

Quite frankly he got his ass beat by Biden, so there's that.

Well, he got 74 million votes, so he seems pretty popular to me. But you're right - 80 million followers doesn't mean 80 million fans. But I was responding to a post that said Amanda Gorman had 1.2 million followers and used that as evidence of her popularity (or how 'impressed' people were by her). So I was employing the same metric.

Maybe you need to loosen your bowtie. Or take off your sunglasses.

simms3

• Time has come
I drove from the Keys to Jax up I-95 after Thanksgiving and at almost every overpass in the Boynton, Delray, and West Palm area there were trumpers waiving signs and flags.  Inexplicably, people don't hate him down there.  I expect he'll try to put it near downtown West Palm.

I visited friends in Oakland Park (at the back of that canal system) several times last year (and the prior).  Just about everyone with a boat, which is A LOT of people in South FL, is a Trumper.

Palm Beach County has a lot of family friendly towns that are conservative, such as Delray Beach, etc etc.  None of this surprises me.  Florida is a family-friendly conservative state, for the most part, and at this stage in my life and from my perspective looking back on my life as I know it thus far, count me in as someone ok with that.

I think Trump will do just fine putting his presidential library almost anywhere in this state, and I wouldn't be surprised if he is able to locate it in Palm Beach County.  No matter where he tries to put it, there will be a bunch of protesters.  The liberal cancel mob will undoubtedly fly people in from other places entirely just to attend protests.  At this point, who cares.
Bothering locals and trolling boards since 2005

MusicMan

He better hurry. He's on the hook for money he doesn't have and broke a lot of laws BEFORE becoming Pres.... and there's a few he broke while being Pres that he may have to answer for (in Georgia.)  When your fixer starts cooperating with investigators that's usually not a good thing.

https://www.npr.org/2020/09/03/909423715/dirty-money-kleptopia-and-world-leaders    (Fascinating 30 minute interview)

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/45306313-kleptopia
« Last Edit: January 25, 2021, 01:54:35 PM by MusicMan »