Author Topic: Urban Construction Update - January 2021  (Read 771 times)

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
Urban Construction Update - January 2021
« on: January 19, 2021, 07:25:56 AM »

A brief look at the status of various developments under construction in and around Downtown Jacksonville.

Read More: https://www.thejaxsonmag.com/article/urban-construction-update-january-2021/
"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.” - Muhammad Ali

fsu813

Re: Urban Construction Update - January 2021
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2021, 10:22:30 AM »
Missed a few things in the Springfield section:

> Auld & White is currently renovating the vacant SPAR building at 1321 N. Main Street. It was destroyed by Irma in 2017, total gut job and major renovation.

> Kindred Salon & Shoppe signed a lease & is building out on West 8th Street, around the corner from 1748 Bakehouse and directly next to Ysintricity Botique. Think the address is 12 West 8th?

> Springfield Nutrition has signed a lease at 1501 N. Main Street, for a women's gym and health bar.

And relatively soon Rethreaded will be transforming 515 East 9th Street into their new HQ.

FYI - the Comments link in the article connects to last month's comment thread, not this one.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2021, 10:37:23 AM by fsu813 »

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2021, 10:48:02 AM »
Thanks! I ended up trying to purge the list of anything that wasn't under construction at this time. This included removing the Ambassador Hotel and Ron Chamblin's apartment project. However, it looks like I missed Kindred Salon & Shoppe.
"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.” - Muhammad Ali

JaxJersey-licious

« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2021, 11:01:14 AM »
R.I.P Chamberlin Apartments and Coastline Drive  :'(

Captain Zissou

« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2021, 11:03:51 AM »
For the info that was readily available in the article, it looks like 764 apartment units, 755,000 square feet of office/baptist, and a 135 room hotel in the "downtown" section.  Unfortunately they're spread amongst 3 pretty distinct neighborhoods.  I'd love for the Southbank, Northbank, and Brooklyn to all thrive, but I think we're doing ourselves a disservice to lump them all together.  To me, the DIA is currently doing what the city did after consolidation. Priority one needs to be centered around Laura street from JWJ Park to the river.

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2021, 11:24:15 AM »
^I definitely agree. What we have right now is nodal development. Basically Brooklyn, the Cathedral District to a smaller degree and everything else is spread out. If the Ambassador, Independent Life, Florida Baptist Convention, Federal Reserve, Johns Brothers Furniture, Laura Trio, VyStar Garage, etc. all get underway this year, we'll see a more visually important node start to come alive in the center of the Northbank.

jaxlongtimer

« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2021, 01:24:06 AM »
Construction continues on a $128 million expansion of the Fuller Warren Bridge and I-95/I-10 interchange. The project, which is expected to be completed in spring 2021, will include the addition of a 12-foot shared use path over the St. Johns River, connecting San Marco and Riverside. Operational improvements and enhancements will be made to the interchange at Interstate 95 and Interstate 10, the Fuller Warren Bridge, and along the east side of U.S.17 north bound between McDuff Avenue and Rosselle Street.

No way the  FDOT I-95/I-10 project is finished in "Spring 2021" based on my observations.  Heck the steel isn't even it place yet for the completion of the ramp from I-95 northbound to I-10.  Based on the pace they are going, whenever that steel is installed, it will take several months more to form, pour and finish the concrete road bed and side walls plus signage and lighting.  I am going to up the ante to "Fall 2021" if we are lucky.  I don't know the original completion date for this project but it seems they like it is taking much longer that what I expected.

And, the Southbank apartments have to be the weirdest development in a long time.  A noisy, ugly and vibrating railroad to one side, a skinny entry way through the hospital traffic (if a train isn't keeping you blocked) and a high rise view-blocker to other sides, squeezed in with little surrounding perimeter spaces and about as ugly as the apartments planned for Friendship Park.

This project should never have been permitted due to their intrusion of the river perimeter, lack of openness to/interactions with the river walk and poor architectural design (gotta love those three dominating windowless wall sections climbing up on the river side - so much for taking advantage of river views for the apartments.  Better to look out at the railroad or One Call building walls!).  Where was DDRB when this came up?

Pottsburg

• Always Carry Always Conceal
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2021, 07:22:50 AM »
   Does anyone know what’s going on with the Florida Times Union building?  It’s so close to the tracks just like the south bank apartments.  It would make a great Brightline station similar to the one in WPB, with a nice high rise above it.
Forza Napoli!  EPL has nothing on the Serie A

fieldafm

• Editor
« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2021, 07:48:28 AM »
This project should never have been permitted due to their intrusion of the river perimeter, lack of openness to/interactions with the river walk and poor architectural design (gotta love those three dominating windowless wall sections climbing up on the river side - so much for taking advantage of river views for the apartments.  Better to look out at the railroad or One Call building walls!).  Where was DDRB when this came up?

Not sure what you mean with 'intrusion of the river perimeter'. This was literally a (privately-owned) parking lot with no public waterfront access for decades. The developer is actually building out the public access to the river by 'extending' the Riverwalk through this property. There was a broken sidewalk thing along the waterfront before, but it did not conform to the design standards of the rest of the Southbank Riverwalk... and more importantly, the developer deeded that portion of the waterfront over to the City so now there is an actual public easement going through the property. This easement is no different that how the Northbank Riverwalk was extended from the Acosta Bridge through what is now RAM. Haskell, St Joe, Fidelity, etc all provided public easements (and in some cases paid for a portion of the Riverwalk construction) through their private properties to allow the Riverwalk to be extended.

That sort of incremental development of the Riverwalk, paid for by private developers as they develop riverfront property, is DIA's explicit strategy for continuing to extend the Riverwalk. Its no different that the old TCEA requirements to repair/enhance sidewalks/public realm under the old Downtown zoning laws (Downtown property was exempt from Mobility Fee contributions). 

As to the windowless sections.... that's the parking garage. The parking garage that faces the bridge obstruction you note here:

noisy, ugly and vibrating railroad to one side, a skinny entry way through the hospital traffic (if a train isn't keeping you blocked)

Seems like the perfect location for a parking garage, considering the rail bridge in its immediate vicinity.

squeezed in with little surrounding perimeter spaces

Its an oddly shaped site. The alternative would be to simply let is sit empty as a parking lot for a few more decades. I guess I'm just too 'pro-development'.. but 'allowing' private property owners to buy/sell properties and bringing sites to a higher and better use seems logical to me. Keep in mind that the infill development to include retail and enhance the public realm leading into this apartment development seems to finally be moving forward after being stalled out for the past decade. Within a few blocks, you'll have residential, office, retail and institutional users. I don't see how that is a negative.

https://www.thejaxsonmag.com/article/retail-spaces-proposed-for-southbank-parking-garage/

Where was DDRB when this came up?

The DDRB has reviewed this project extensively since 2016

https://www.thejaxsonmag.com/article/first-new-high-rise-proposed-downtown-since-2008-page-4/

about as ugly as the apartments planned for Friendship Park

Architectural opinions are all subjective... but I don't think the two are remotely comparable.  This development is basically coherent with the adjacent buildings... whereas the currently proposed facade treatment at the RCBC site is about as incompatible with the surrounding buildings as can be.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2021, 08:22:44 AM by fieldafm »

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2021, 08:54:48 AM »
^Call me the overdevelopment guy. I wish this would have been built on this site.....

The St. John - A 582' tall, 51 floor tower with 300 residential units.

or the economy and Cameron Kuhn being able to hold out another year to get Riverwatch off the ground before everything came crumbling down...

I miss the early 2000s. I just wished we would have got more than the three Southbank towers off the ground. Miami, Orlando and Fort Lauderdale permanently changed their skylines and downtowns during that time frame.

https://www.metrojacksonville.com/article/2008-oct-results-of-the-boom-dead-projects
« Last Edit: January 20, 2021, 08:59:03 AM by thelakelander »