Author Topic: RD River City Brewing Apartment Renderings  (Read 5170 times)

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
Re: RD River City Brewing Apartment Renderings
« Reply #45 on: January 15, 2021, 09:42:47 AM »
^Yes, they should go with something in the range of 16 stories along Riverplace Blvd and chop off the half closest to the river. Otherwise, it will be hard to keep this thing from looking like a Commieblock, no matter how many features the architect rips off from beach resorts and Disney hotels.
"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.” - Muhammad Ali

Charles Hunter

« Reply #46 on: January 15, 2021, 11:31:08 AM »
And will those embellishments survive when they start value engineering the thing?  Hope the DDRB sticks to their guns if the developer comes back with just minor tweaks.

Steve

• The Jaxson
« Reply #47 on: January 15, 2021, 01:13:47 PM »
And will those embellishments survive when they start value engineering the thing?  Hope the DDRB sticks to their guns if the developer comes back with just minor tweaks.

I'll be watching this. Matt Brockelman on the DDRB made a point of saying minor tweaks would not be enough.

jaxjags

« Reply #48 on: January 15, 2021, 03:54:30 PM »
Good for the DDRB. This design really needs to go back to the drawing board. Doesn't sound like the architect has a good grasp of the site or downtown if they argued that it fits with the surrounding area.

While I don’t always agree with the DDRB (I did in this case), I’d say I feel like they’re growing some teeth of late. The challenge is the consistency with some historic decisions, such as comparing the Home2 Suites vs the rest of Park Street.

This comment begs the question, where does the Home2 Suites stand? Maybe I missed it but don't remember hearing anything.

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #49 on: January 15, 2021, 04:03:03 PM »
I believe the conceptual design was approved with conditions. So the next step would be for the development team to make/address the necessary modifications before coming back for final approval.
"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.” - Muhammad Ali

heights unknown

• HEIGHTS UNKNOWN (HOT DAMMIT!) YES...SUPER TALLS!!!
    • FRESH START SOCIAL SERVICE AGENCY
« Reply #50 on: January 15, 2021, 09:49:43 PM »
Yes...smaller foot print, 21 stories, set a little more back from the river and not up on it. Yeah, 21 stories is enough...16 is ok, but 21+ makes my butt pucker.
PLEASE FEEL FREE TO ACCESS MY PERSONAL FACEBOOK PAGE AT: https://www.facebook.com/garrybernardcoston.personal, or, access my Social Service Agency Facebook page if you love supporting charities/social entities at: https://www.facebook.com/FRESHSTARTSOCIALSERVICEAGENCY/; thank you!!!

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities

jaxjags

« Reply #52 on: January 16, 2021, 04:05:18 PM »
Related's latest project proposed for Miami: https://www.thenextmiami.com/revealed-full-plans-renderings-for-related-groups-41-story-miami-station/

Lakelander, what are the economics in Miami that makes that project possible versus Jax. Is it the 12 stories of office space? Can they really command that much higher rent to build the 20-25 stories of residential? Are these mainly corporate or seasonal rentals? Are the financials really that much better in Miami. Hopefully you or others have some insight into this. I believe the demand for DT Jax housing is there, just maybe not at the $/square foot that high rise construction cost.

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #53 on: January 16, 2021, 04:38:25 PM »
The Miami project is a market rate project. I'm not sure of how our economics come into play when we're also giving tens of millions into incentives. They'd likely get shot down here if they proposed a highrise. Remember, the apartment project under construction next to One Call got sliced down from 12 to 8 stories after the next door neighborhood filed a suit. Nevertheless, I think it shows we don't have to get stuck with a shitty looking project. It also shows, that they have the ability to provide something superior looking to what's been proposed here.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2021, 04:41:04 PM by thelakelander »

heights unknown

• HEIGHTS UNKNOWN (HOT DAMMIT!) YES...SUPER TALLS!!!
    • FRESH START SOCIAL SERVICE AGENCY
« Reply #54 on: January 16, 2021, 08:12:59 PM »
PLEASE FEEL FREE TO ACCESS MY PERSONAL FACEBOOK PAGE AT: https://www.facebook.com/garrybernardcoston.personal, or, access my Social Service Agency Facebook page if you love supporting charities/social entities at: https://www.facebook.com/FRESHSTARTSOCIALSERVICEAGENCY/; thank you!!!

jaxlongtimer

« Reply #55 on: January 16, 2021, 10:01:59 PM »
The Miami project is a market rate project. I'm not sure of how our economics come into play when we're also giving tens of millions into incentives. They'd likely get shot down here if they proposed a highrise. Remember, the apartment project under construction next to One Call got sliced down from 12 to 8 stories after the next door neighborhood filed a suit. Nevertheless, I think it shows we don't have to get stuck with a shitty looking project. It also shows, that they have the ability to provide something superior looking to what's been proposed here.

I am surmising the high rise next to One Call got shot down because it was so close to the One Call building.  For much of the One Call building, a high rise on the spot for the apartments would essentially make about half the One Call building a "non-riverfront" view probably reducing rents there.  So, they filed suit and apparently had enough legal/zoning leverage, to nix the high rise,  I would guess the facts and circumstances here would be more akin to the Peninsula or Strand high rises and don't see why they couldn't go more vertical as a result.