Author Topic: RD River City Brewing Apartment Renderings  (Read 5607 times)

Ken_FSU

Re: RD River City Brewing Apartment Renderings
« Reply #30 on: January 09, 2021, 10:21:09 AM »
I sure hope the MOSH got something in writing about the Northbank site, because this thing would really butcher their sight lines if they were to revert back to the original Mosh 2.0 plan. Which, in theory, would be something the DDRB should take into consideration but likely won’t because, in typical Jax faction, everyone is behaving as though a park-front MOSH Genesis at the Shipyards is a foregone conclusion, despite the fact that the Feds haven’t approved any land swap, the Shipyards haven’t been remediated, and no funding mechanism is in place for said park.

If the Spandrel deal falls through (they’ve been at a stalemate with the DIA for six months now; they don’t want to commit to a construction schedule because of the pandemic), wondering what you guys think about the riverfront Ford on Bay property for the new MOSH? Was walking down Bay Street yesterday and was thinking to myself that it would fit in quite well with what MOSH wants to do, particularly with the new Coastline inlet that could be creatively leveraged for boat launches or interactive features. Also closer to the true urban core and doesn’t require any landswap or remediation. Downside would obviously be the opportunity cost of saving it for another use.

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #31 on: January 09, 2021, 11:46:18 AM »
I believe it still makes sense to move the Prime Osborn's exhibition hall to the Hyatt and position the Hyatt as the convention center. If we don't watch it, we're going to end up with two big vacant hotels in the core of the city. If the only improvement is pushing what takes place at the Prime Osborn now, to the heart of the Northbank, it still helps existing downtown hotels, restaurants and bars more.

MOSH at the old county courthouse isn't a bad idea from this clustering perspective. On the other hand, I'm also not worried about this blocking the existing MOSH location's view. Other than the seldom used roof deck, MOSH is a concrete bunker. At this point, I'd like to see MOSH move because it may be a way to help the Northbank while opening the door for the existing space to be repurposed into another museum or cultural attraction.
"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.” - Muhammad Ali

jaxlongtimer

« Reply #32 on: January 09, 2021, 02:10:13 PM »
Re; the convention center.  I won't be surprised if Khan's next big idea is for taxpayers to pay $400 million to build a convention center in the vicinity of his planned Lot J and/or Four Seasons hotel so he can make even more bucks on the taxpayer's backs.  He has previously showed this hand with the Shipyard renderings of the past.  No doubt, if he asks, Curry and the Council will give.

I actually would consider the above idea if I could get comfortable with the taxpayers not getting screwed again.

heights unknown

• HEIGHTS UNKNOWN (HOT DAMMIT!) YES...SUPER TALLS!!!
    • FRESH START SOCIAL SERVICE AGENCY
« Reply #33 on: January 09, 2021, 04:47:05 PM »
THEY need to go back to the drawing board on this one. Needs to be something more iconic, and not something that looks like its situated off of one of the I-10 or I-75 exit ramps. It needs to be something that will complement downtown Jacksonville; for DOWNTOWN...not the suburbs, interstate off ramps or the beaches.
PLEASE FEEL FREE TO ACCESS MY PERSONAL FACEBOOK PAGE AT: https://www.facebook.com/garrybernardcoston.personal, or, access my Social Service Agency Facebook page if you love supporting charities/social entities at: https://www.facebook.com/FRESHSTARTSOCIALSERVICEAGENCY/; thank you!!!

howfam

« Reply #34 on: January 09, 2021, 07:44:18 PM »
Fixed.

Actually  I think the proposed design looks better than the Tampa project. It does have some architectural significance with the end towers, whereas the Tampa project is just square boxes. No thought needed for that design.

bl8jaxnative

« Reply #35 on: January 11, 2021, 12:30:55 PM »
Looks nice

heights unknown

• HEIGHTS UNKNOWN (HOT DAMMIT!) YES...SUPER TALLS!!!
    • FRESH START SOCIAL SERVICE AGENCY
« Reply #36 on: January 11, 2021, 01:38:38 PM »
Looks nice
Yuck. St. Augustine or Daytona, or even Baldwin? Yes. Jacksonville? No.
PLEASE FEEL FREE TO ACCESS MY PERSONAL FACEBOOK PAGE AT: https://www.facebook.com/garrybernardcoston.personal, or, access my Social Service Agency Facebook page if you love supporting charities/social entities at: https://www.facebook.com/FRESHSTARTSOCIALSERVICEAGENCY/; thank you!!!

ralpho37

« Reply #37 on: January 11, 2021, 03:54:37 PM »
Jaxlongtimer: To answer your question about architectural awards downtown, the Baptist MD Anderson Cancer Center has won several awards.

Florida Power And Light

« Reply #38 on: January 11, 2021, 08:31:59 PM »
Needs more than going back to the drawing boards.

Travesty.Ugly and Not Necessity.Skip the “ Vision”...... so Sorry at least one DIA member.

I guess if we really “Vision” we might sense Dark Mostly Unappealing To Most River Water Reflection dangling on this most Sordid Image.

Why not???? That’s what happens when the Riverfront Sky is Infilled.

The property was at its height (no pun intended- mostly) back in the early 80’s..... “ Diamond Head”.?????

So we move the Waterfront Restaurant/ Public experience back off the water, let the Lease Holder Sell, Waterfront goes to Private.
What a crock.

Here’s Looking At Us.

The Demand is for Waterfront Restaurant, Public Waterfront.

I had a Dream two nights ago, two persons really upset with me, over Something.

That was Easy!

Demand.

« Last Edit: January 11, 2021, 10:11:15 PM by Florida Power And Light »

acme54321

« Reply #39 on: January 13, 2021, 12:23:51 PM »
Are the email addresses of the DDRB members listed somewhere?  I could always put comments about this project into the general DIA contact email form on their website but I have doubts that would ever get to the people who make the actual decisions.

Steve

• The Jaxson
« Reply #40 on: January 14, 2021, 09:16:53 PM »
DDRB agreed 9-0 to defer vote. I wasn't able to listen to the meeting but according to the JDR article, the comments were.....not positive:

https://www.jaxdailyrecord.com/article/ddrb-defers-conceptual-design-vote-for-rd-river-city-brewery-apartments

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #41 on: January 14, 2021, 09:28:15 PM »
Good for the DDRB. This design really needs to go back to the drawing board. Doesn't sound like the architect has a good grasp of the site or downtown if they argued that it fits with the surrounding area.
"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.” - Muhammad Ali

marcuscnelson

• Gen Z - Tired of the status quo
« Reply #42 on: January 14, 2021, 10:20:12 PM »
$16 million? Has it always been that much? Geez.

If we’re already spending that much, any chance of bumping that up to $20 or $25 million provided they turn it into a 16-story tower with a setback from the river? Frankly I’d live with the aesthetic provided that.
So, to the young people fighting in this movement for change, here is my charge: march in the streets, protest, run for school committee or city council or the state legislature. And win. - Ed Markey

Steve

• The Jaxson
« Reply #43 on: January 15, 2021, 07:44:05 AM »
Good for the DDRB. This design really needs to go back to the drawing board. Doesn't sound like the architect has a good grasp of the site or downtown if they argued that it fits with the surrounding area.

While I don’t always agree with the DDRB (I did in this case), I’d say I feel like they’re growing some teeth of late. The challenge is the consistency with some historic decisions, such as comparing the Home2 Suites vs the rest of Park Street.

vicupstate

« Reply #44 on: January 15, 2021, 08:05:21 AM »
A smaller footprint with more height built up to the street would be a better fit here, and the city should just cancel the lease altogether. Sell them the land under the building (with the smaller footprint) and add the remainder to the park.   
"The problem with quotes on the internet is you can never be certain they're authentic." - Abraham Lincoln