Author Topic: RD River City Brewing Apartment Renderings  (Read 5615 times)

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
Re: RD River City Brewing Apartment Renderings
« Reply #15 on: January 08, 2021, 09:11:22 AM »
I'm in agreement with what has been said here, but I was immediately struck by how out of context this would look.  To me this looks like one of those disney hotels surrounded by 10 acres of parking or the new Marriot going in at San Pablo and JTB. 

Lol I immediately thought a poor man's version of Disney's Polynesian Village Resort.

Does anyone know what the proposed cost is?

$92.34 million
"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.” - Muhammad Ali

WarDamJagFan

« Reply #16 on: January 08, 2021, 09:22:46 AM »
This is an absolute horror show of a project. WHAT GOOD IS HAVING A RIVERFRONT DOWNTOWN IF ONE CAN'T EVEN USE IT. As I said previously, we had more waterfront dining options in 1995 than we do today - and this God Awful concept would take out one of the last remaining water-front dining options. Really excited to have it replaced with a front seat view of a fountain that sometimes works inside of an apartment complex even the Southside would consider ugly. The DIA will most likely approve it and move on to the next sham.

fieldafm

• Editor
« Reply #17 on: January 08, 2021, 09:27:07 AM »
This is an absolute horror show of a project. WHAT GOOD IS HAVING A RIVERFRONT DOWNTOWN IF ONE CAN'T EVEN USE IT. As I said previously, we had more waterfront dining options in 1995 than we do today - and this God Awful concept would take out one of the last remaining water-front dining options. Really excited to have it replaced with a front seat view of a fountain that sometimes works inside of an apartment complex even the Southside would consider ugly. The DIA will most likely approve it and move on to the next sham.

There will be a restaurant included with the project, that will be separate from the building. The concept would include a large amount of shaded, outdoor seating which will interact much better with Friendship Fountain than what RCBC does now. 

The restaurant renderings will be a separate proposal considered by DDRB, sometime later this year. 

The developer has floated the Glass and Vine restaurant in Miami, as an inspiration for the overall look of the proposed Soutbank restaurant.

Here are a few pictures of Glass and Vine:

« Last Edit: January 08, 2021, 09:36:56 AM by fieldafm »

fieldafm

• Editor
« Reply #18 on: January 08, 2021, 09:59:24 AM »
Just for curiosity's sake, the developer has made two proposals for Downtown riverfront sites in the past.

The developer had submitted a plan last year to redevelop the former Courthouse/City Hall site, which was ultimately awarded to a different developer. Their RFP submission mostly focused on the massing, uses, site plan, development costs.... and did not provide many details on architectural renderings.

The developer also proposed San Marco Riverwalk Village on the Southbank in 2006. This would have redeveloped the current Lexington Hotel and former Crawdaddy's site (now Broadstone apartments) into five condo towers over 40-stories high, a 9-story Courtyard by Marriott, 2,000 residential units and 177,800-square feet of riverfront retail.

Here is a similar project from the developer in Tampa, where the massing is broken up and the facade treatment is more modern-looking.

The site in 2018, a similar-sized parcel- albeit not as rectangular as the RCBC site.

Topped out and still under construction in 2019

Open and operational in 2020

A view from the street (AKA opposite side of the Tampa Riverwalk)

« Last Edit: January 08, 2021, 10:14:34 AM by fieldafm »

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #19 on: January 08, 2021, 10:22:16 AM »
I'm not really crazy about the Tampa project but I'd prefer that design to what's proposed for the Southbank.
"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.” - Muhammad Ali

jaxlongtimer

« Reply #20 on: January 08, 2021, 11:34:32 AM »
Maybe our moderators can merge this thread with two prior ones on this project:  https://www.metrojacksonville.com/forum/index.php/topic,36618.0.html and https://www.metrojacksonville.com/forum/index.php/topic,36626.0.html

From the prior threads, I wanted to re-post these comments and picture as this project is looking just like my worst fears expressed then:

It looks like the City is open to high rises abutting the river on both sides throughout Downtown.  Uuggh!  One day we are going to be looking down the river like we are in a giant tunnel with the lack of setbacks.  Just look at the ocean front in South Florida to see what a high rise "wall" looks like (and that's with the ocean on one side).  No aesthetics reflecting the river's character, lack of appropriate scaling, little or no green space, little public access or recreational opportunities, no concern for grade level interactions, blah buildings, etc.

Great article.  I would like to see RCBC remain or be replaced with a like-sized structure and height.  Start the high rise further back.

This picture posted of Tampa on the Hillsborough river is not attractive (I dare say bordering on ugly) at all along the water.  I would hate to see our beautiful St. Johns River framed by buildings like this and this is the point I was making in the initial thread for this project.

Ken_FSU

« Reply #21 on: January 08, 2021, 12:30:18 PM »
Fixed.

« Last Edit: January 08, 2021, 12:32:46 PM by Ken_FSU »

jaxlongtimer

« Reply #22 on: January 08, 2021, 12:38:52 PM »
^ LOL.  Clever.  We should parody more of these projects.  Let's see what you can do with Lot J and the Doro project. 

Sometimes satire makes the point better than rational discussions.  People open their minds a little bit wider when humor is introduced.

marcuscnelson

• Gen Z - Tired of the status quo
« Reply #23 on: January 08, 2021, 03:28:00 PM »
Whoever does the Doro should crib this scene from V for Vendetta. Just replace the Big Brother-type with Curry, the networks with sports podcasters, and the Old Bailey with the Doro. As far as the Jaguars go, "England Prevails" isn't necessarily inaccurate, depending on how you look at it.
So, to the young people fighting in this movement for change, here is my charge: march in the streets, protest, run for school committee or city council or the state legislature. And win. - Ed Markey

marcuscnelson

« Reply #24 on: January 08, 2021, 03:52:40 PM »
As far as the actual project, the biggest challenge is likely asking people to do more than simply accept that this developer wants to build here. I'm sure it's easy for a lot of people to kneejerk and say that we shouldn't get in the way of people who want to build, plus whatever rhetoric people are using to justify Lot J at this point.
So, to the young people fighting in this movement for change, here is my charge: march in the streets, protest, run for school committee or city council or the state legislature. And win. - Ed Markey

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #25 on: January 08, 2021, 04:36:38 PM »
This one is simple. For this particular project, next week the DDRB needs to tell them to go back to the drawing board with the elevations and provide them examples of the architectural styles they'd prefer over this one. Heck, even offer to have a workshop on the design if it helps. In the long term (like within the next few months), the DIA needs to revamp the downtown design standards and guidelines and get council to approve. With some standards in place, the private sector won't have to guess and will have an idea of what their products should look like in the areas of downtown that they've selected to develop in.

marcuscnelson

« Reply #26 on: January 08, 2021, 07:18:19 PM »
^ What are the odds that the DDRB will do this next week, or any of the other things going forward? Is there a way to pressure them to do so?

Florida Power And Light

« Reply #27 on: January 08, 2021, 09:18:41 PM »
UGLY

Beyond that, consignment of Waterfront lands to private residential is not efficacious.
No matter how Consulted and Insulted. “ Vision”, as defined. Ooops, Skip that.Public “Visioning” excercise only........ shucks , what are the terms for non binding.....
Imagine winning a City negotiated and issued Lease, with the ability to sell off / convey what was once a  public holding/ “ property “.
..... For This!......

Here’s Looking At You Hacksonville.

Any past efforts to somehow interject Waterways Commission involvement quite hilarious.
For starters.

I recall stepping foot on Downtown Jacksonville in 1979. I took a flight from Miami. My parents had moved to Jacksonville from my native Miami Florida. Our first stop on the way ( Yep- South) from the Airport was Downtown. North Bank. Intriguing. Comfy.Apparently functional. ( Yea, even Ship Yards .....) Potential.
Decades later:
First Coast Outer Beltway Brannon Chaffee
« Last Edit: January 08, 2021, 09:51:48 PM by Florida Power And Light »

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #28 on: January 08, 2021, 10:20:20 PM »
^ What are the odds that the DDRB will do this next week, or any of the other things going forward? Is there a way to pressure them to do so?
Yes, people can write DDRB members, provide their opinion and better examples out there that may worth be exploring. I have to believe if they hit the Home2 Suites project hard last month, they should have a field day with this one.

Charles Hunter

« Reply #29 on: January 08, 2021, 10:41:14 PM »
Yes, people can write DDRB members, provide their opinion and better examples out there that may worth be exploring. I have to believe if they hit the Home2 Suites project hard last month, they should have a field day with this one.

I don't know ... this monstrosity seems to wrap around the parking and hide the dumpsters ...