Author Topic: The Adaptive Reuse Of The Elena Flats Building  (Read 1678 times)

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
The Adaptive Reuse Of The Elena Flats Building
« on: January 07, 2021, 08:53:35 AM »

Nearly knocked down to make way for a parking lot, the Elena Flats building was saved when the Jacksonville Historic Preservation Commission and Jacksonville City Council elected to save the historic structure through landmarking in 2015.

Read More: https://www.thejaxsonmag.com/article/the-adaptive-reuse-of-the-elena-flats-building/
"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.” - Muhammad Ali

Jason

• Global Moderator
  • I am the man in the box...
Re: The Adaptive Reuse Of The Elena Flats Building
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2021, 09:55:19 AM »
WOW!!!

Adam White

• Facebook
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2021, 09:59:47 AM »
“If you're going to play it out of tune, then play it out of tune properly.”

Charles Hunter

« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2021, 10:28:10 AM »
Beautiful!

JaxJersey-licious

« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2021, 01:05:30 PM »
Really could use some encouraging news like this right about now. So how is interest in leasing these units going? That would have been a hell of a spot to view last month's Cathedral Basilica's light show.

MusicMan

« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2021, 10:37:45 AM »
Beautiful!  $3,000,000?   

bl8jaxnative

« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2021, 12:30:24 PM »
Looks nice.  I hope they can find some folks willing to pay that kind of money for the "privilege" of dodging homeless people and having their car broken into every other month.

Pottsburg

• Always Carry Always Conceal
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2021, 07:28:56 AM »
These two continue to put their money where their mouth is. Joann and Jack are nothing but a asset to the urban core.
Forza Napoli!  EPL has nothing on the Serie A

MusicMan

« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2021, 04:43:43 PM »
I love what they did but if it really cost $3 million that's nuts. You could buy 4 nice homes in Avondale, San Marco or Ortega for that and have a quarter of a million dollars left over.  Would love to see a detailed breakdown of the expenses on this one.

CityLife

« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2021, 05:03:50 PM »
I love what they did but if it really cost $3 million that's nuts. You could buy 4 nice homes in Avondale, San Marco or Ortega for that and have a quarter of a million dollars left over.  Would love to see a detailed breakdown of the expenses on this one.

I don't believe they rehab buildings with profit in mind. They are the historic preservation version of a legacy developer (i.e more concerned with creating something special and improving their community). The good news is that what they do is amazing. The bad news is that it isn't easily replicated and they seem to work on one project at a time. It would be amazing if someone could do a higher volume version of what they do, but the economics probably just don't work.

What's their total body of work now-this building, the Powell Apartments in Springfield (near 6th and Walnut), their house on Hubbard Street, and the amazing Klutho office on 4th and Laura?  That's an awesome legacy already.

fsu813

« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2021, 07:15:29 PM »

I don't believe they rehab buildings with profit in mind. They are the historic preservation version of a legacy developer (i.e more concerned with creating something special and improving their community). The good news is that what they do is amazing. The bad news is that it isn't easily replicated and they seem to work on one project at a time. It would be amazing if someone could do a higher volume version of what they do, but the economics probably just don't work.

What's their total body of work now-this building, the Powell Apartments in Springfield (near 6th and Walnut), their house on Hubbard Street, and the amazing Klutho office on 4th and Laura?  That's an awesome legacy already.

And the red brick apartments on the 1300 block of N. Laura.

acme54321

« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2021, 08:56:31 PM »

That office at 4th and Laura isn't a Klutho.  They built that out of a concrete block box.  Pretty impressive.