Author Topic: Jacksonville Mayoral Election 2023  (Read 25998 times)

jaxlongtimer

Re: Jacksonville Mayoral Election 2023
« Reply #90 on: May 21, 2021, 11:07:08 PM »
Deegan put up a great campaign, albeit a longshot one, against John "Trump" Rutherford.  I think she should run for City Council first and hone her chops there.  What district would she be in?  Rory Diamond's?  Now that would be a fun race to watch.

Charles Hunter

« Reply #91 on: May 21, 2021, 11:21:09 PM »
Yes - she is in Rory Diamond's district.  That would be an interesting race!

BridgeTroll

• Global Moderator
  • The average person thinks he isnt
    • London Bridge Pub
« Reply #92 on: May 22, 2021, 06:59:20 AM »
Interesting... I like the thought process. Do we really want  former newscasters or name recognition mayors?  Gimme local government participants...
Degan at least has proven to be an engaged and accomplished Jacksonville native beyond her news career. She may not be your cup of tea but she shouldn’t be dismissed as just a name.

Name and a face?
In a boat at sea one of the men began to bore a hole in the bottom of the boat. On being remonstrating with, he answered, "I am only boring under my own seat." "Yes," said his companions, "but when the sea rushes in we shall all be drowned with you."

JeffreyS

• Demand Evidence and Think Critically.
« Reply #93 on: May 22, 2021, 09:12:52 AM »
Deegan put up a great campaign, albeit a longshot one, against John "Trump" Rutherford.  I think she should run for City Council first and hone her chops there.  What district would she be in?  Rory Diamond's?  Now that would be a fun race to watch.
Not sure if she’s looking at local politics but watching her debate showed her competence and command of national issues.
Lenny Smash

Tacachale

• Administrator
« Reply #94 on: May 22, 2021, 11:21:52 AM »
Yes - she is in Rory Diamond's district.  That would be an interesting race!

She could also run at large, which would give her a better chance than the heavily Republican Beaches district. But if she ran in 2023 she’d presumably be running against Ron Salem who’d be tough to beat.
Do you believe that when the blue jay or another bird sings and the body is trembling, that is a signal that people are coming or something important is about to happen?

marcuscnelson

• Gen Z - Tired of the status quo
« Reply #95 on: June 10, 2021, 08:37:49 PM »
It appears supporters of Matt Carlucci are holding a Meet & Greet this Sunday.

The flyer on Carlucci's Twitter
So, to the young people fighting in this movement for change, here is my charge: march in the streets, protest, run for school committee or city council or the state legislature. And win. - Ed Markey

marcuscnelson

• Gen Z - Tired of the status quo
« Reply #96 on: July 08, 2021, 04:41:49 PM »
Over the last week, Donna Deegan has made some pretty serious moves in the direction of a bid for Mayor, establishing a political committee and making overtures of consideration for the job.
So, to the young people fighting in this movement for change, here is my charge: march in the streets, protest, run for school committee or city council or the state legislature. And win. - Ed Markey

vicupstate

« Reply #97 on: July 08, 2021, 05:49:07 PM »
I know Deegan lost 39-61 against Rutherford in 2020, but what was the result in the Duval portion of the district?  I would assume somewhat better than the district as a whole.
"The problem with quotes on the internet is you can never be certain they're authentic." - Abraham Lincoln

Charles Hunter

« Reply #98 on: July 08, 2021, 06:03:10 PM »
From the Duval SOE website:
Rutherford 169,852 57%
Deegan     125,498 43%

Tacachale

• Administrator
« Reply #99 on: July 08, 2021, 06:54:15 PM »
From the Duval SOE website:
Rutherford 169,852 57%
Deegan     125,498 43%

Wow. That’s the part of Duval gerrymandered to lean heavily Republican.
Do you believe that when the blue jay or another bird sings and the body is trembling, that is a signal that people are coming or something important is about to happen?

Charles Hunter

« Reply #100 on: July 08, 2021, 09:44:55 PM »
Interestingly, I got an email from Donna this evening. She announced her Donna for Duval PAC, and included this, "I promised you I would stay involved and keep working – and that’s a promise I intend to keep. Right now, I’m looking seriously at how I might best serve our community next including a possible run for Mayor."  ... and, she asked for money.

Tacachale - as you said, she didn't do that badly in very Red precincts in Duval

jaxlongtimer