Author Topic: Jacksonville Mayoral Election 2023  (Read 149210 times)

fsu813

Re: Jacksonville Mayoral Election 2023
« Reply #360 on: May 02, 2023, 06:20:34 AM »
More context: Davis had already publicized participating in a different public meeting at the same day/time, before this debate was scheduled:

https://twitter.com/DanielDavisFL/status/1651228475041218562

Funny how a debate was scheduled without seeing if both candidates were available, and when one isn't, little details like an already planned/publicized event get left out of the explanation....

Surely a coincidence!

FSU, turns out Davis knew of this date all the way back in January.  So what you say now?  ;D

....In a press release Monday, WJXT representatives said all candidates were told about the forum dates in January and formally invited Deegan and Davis after they advanced to the general election in March. Deegan accepted, but Davis declined repeatedly, the release said....

https://www.jacksonville.com/story/news/politics/elections/local/2023/05/01/ju-wjxt-to-host-third-televised-jacksonville-mayoral-debate/70169854007/

Have we learned nothing from the Transformers? If nothing else, there's always more than meets the eye.

Perhaps, say, the campaign wanted to see who was going to craft and ask the questions before committing....  ;)

I personally enjoy the "take all comers / go anywhere" approach to both politics and college football. But every coach has their own strategy to win... may the best team win.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2023, 07:56:34 AM by fsu813 »

jaxlongtimer

« Reply #361 on: May 03, 2023, 01:52:17 AM »
Nat Glover comes forward to call out TK Water's nasty attack ads against Donna Deegan:
Former Sheriff Nat Glover responds to TK Waters' attacks on Donna Deegan.

Public safety has been the leading theme of the Jacksonville mayoral race, and after weeks of attacks on Donna Deegan, a key defender has emerged.

Former Democratic Sheriff Nat Glover is speaking out in a new ad against the attack ads targeting Deegan.

“I do not endorse political candidates, but I must speak up when it comes to these attack ads against Donna Deegan designed to divide our community,” Glover asserts, in a spot underwritten by the Saving Our City PC.

“We must rise above divisiveness,” Glover adds. “Police accountability is essential. We all want safe schools and neighborhoods.”

Glover said he would “not remain quiet and allow this city to go back to the ‘us versus them’ era,” noting that “early voting has begun.”...

https://floridapolitics.com/archives/609142-dueling-sheriffs-jax/

jaxlongtimer

« Reply #362 on: May 03, 2023, 07:01:16 PM »
Mayoral "debate" on News4Jax and First Coast News begins now.

Charles Hunter

« Reply #363 on: May 03, 2023, 09:51:01 PM »
Did they have an empty chair?

pierre

« Reply #364 on: May 04, 2023, 05:26:14 AM »
An empty chair with a Brooks Brothers pullover

jaxlongtimer

« Reply #365 on: May 04, 2023, 09:41:08 AM »
LOL.  Deegan had a whole hour on three media outlets all to herself thanks to Davis's no-show.  She fully answered every question, well informed and articulately, throughout.  Compare her engagement, transparency and intellect with Davis and it's an easy choice for mayor.

Imagine having another mayor, like Curry, that hides from the public, divisively demonizes his/her critics, patronizes voters by telling people what they want to hear - not what he will really do, thinks he has all the answers without community input, relies on dark money from special interests that will control him and avoids any situation that might generate some controversy.  That's not leadership - that's what keeps Jax from being the greatest city it could be.

See the full hour with Deegan here:  https://www.news4jax.com/news/local/2023/05/03/deegan-faces-a-panel-of-local-journalists-in-televised-event-davis-attends-separate-untelevised-event-with-parents/

jaxoNOLE

« Reply #366 on: May 04, 2023, 01:22:52 PM »
This couldn't have set up any better for Deegan. A former TV personality with an hour-long platform square in the middle of her comfort zone? No wonder it went well.

More than the content of the forum, though, I think what really hurts Davis here is the oft-repeated clarification that he couldn't be bothered to show up. As explained at the beginning of the forum, the date was communicated in January, with formal invitations to a debate on WJXT on May 3 extended after the runoff in March. When Davis declined, WJXT offered to change the date, and still Davis refused. Only after it became clear Davis wouldn't attend a debate did they change the format to a forum with panelists from multiple journalistic outlets (which, of course, they had to, because you can't have a one-candidate "debate"). I wonder if Davis' campaign team figured the debate would just be cancelled if he didn't accept.

It's a strange choice, because I thought Davis was actually decent on the WOKV forum -- more relaxed and less robotic than in the debate. Deegan won on substance, but as the R candidate, Davis doesn't need to win over any die-hard Deegan supporters -- he just needs R voters not to defect. A similar performance in this forum--where's he's more relaxed, off-the-cuff, and able to provide his same old tired talking points and pushback on Deegan's assertions--would have cut her platform time in half and eliminated the talking point of him dodging the debate. Deegan still would probably have given the more impressive performance, but Davis could've steered the conversation into a more party-line "D vs R" framing that serves his divisive campaign more effectively than substance-oriented debate.

A prime example of this missed opportunity: Deegan likely would not have been able to offer as much detail on how to pay for all of her specific proposals when asked. By reducing her time to answer, there would have been more vagueness for Davis to exploit by pushing the argument that Deegan will, in fact, have to raise taxes, or subjugate Jacksonville to the whims of the federal government for funding, or defund our police, etc. -- the kind of red meat that keeps R voters in line. Instead, Deegan got to offer a thorough explanation, assert without pushback that she won't raise taxes, and lay out a plan that could win over an independent or open-minded R voter (yes, they do exist!).

Deegan deserves credit for running a generally positive campaign. It has to be tempting to send out mailers that ask, "Where's Danny? If he won't show up to campaign, he won't show up to do the job!"

TL;DR: Davis needs this race to be about Republican vs. Democrat to motivate his voters, and his failure to show up gifted Deegan a chance to prove how little party affiliation impacts the job of governing a city.

marcuscnelson

• Gen Z - Tired of the status quo
« Reply #367 on: May 05, 2023, 07:29:12 AM »
So, to the young people fighting in this movement for change, here is my charge: march in the streets, protest, run for school committee or city council or the state legislature. And win. - Ed Markey

Charles Hunter

« Reply #368 on: May 05, 2023, 08:58:30 AM »
So, he's going to reduce non-police staffing,

I do feel confident that we don’t need to add new employees to City Hall either. So that’s going to be something that we’re going to be very focused on, making sure that we run efficiently and that we keep government smaller and get more of the taxpayer dollars on the street.

yet reduce the time needed to get permits while not eliminating important steps?

Not only our permitting department, but I believe we should make this process of a yes or no quicker. That doesn’t mean you skip steps. ... And that’s a vision of mine is to make sure that we make the process easier.

And then you have to go through the permitting department, which oftentimes takes over a year to get permits and get your project out of the ground. That’s not acceptable.

Maybe the "privatization" shell game? Contract out inspections and the like?
I think that there are private-sector solutions to some of the issues.

I say "shell game" because some agencies have found they pay more when the outsource activities that were historically in-house.

Steve

• The Jaxson
« Reply #369 on: May 05, 2023, 08:59:15 AM »
The thing is some of the answers are fairly reasonable, but I think they're a little out of touch
 - Giving DIA more autonomy sounds great except their backbone is questionable at best.
 - Moving the jail is fine, depending on what you do with the property, but I question the cost/benefit there
 - I do agree that the development streamlining is needed, but I'm curious how he plans to do that.
 - All of these answers lack some specifics.

The bigger problem is at this point I don't fully trust either of them, but I trust Davis a little less. I feel like he's completely controlled by the Curry group and that's a problem for me.

tufsu1

« Reply #370 on: May 05, 2023, 02:26:51 PM »
yet reduce the time needed to get permits while not eliminating important steps?

Interesting that the current Mayor takes exception to Deegan's claims that permitting takes too long....and his chosen candidate says the same thing

jaxlongtimer

« Reply #371 on: May 05, 2023, 06:54:54 PM »

Interesting that the current Mayor takes exception to Deegan's claims that permitting takes too long....and his chosen candidate says the same thing

From what I can tell, not so much the permitting process as the City's staffing of the Building Department is more a player in permitting delays.  Davis says he wants to downsize City government but his development backers won't be happy if he skinnies down their favorite department even more than now.  Is he going to shrink all the other departments and benefit his developer backers by only increasing the Building Dept.?

And, "streamlining the permitting process" and expediting DIA decisions... really?  It would appear to me we already lay down plenty for developers.  Maybe we have the opposite problem... the City doesn't invest enough in thoughtful visioning, planning, etc. and discipling the process.  Zoning, building standards such as setbacks, aesthetic design, land use, protection of environment and historic structures... all a joke here.  Add, incentives are out of control due to "rushed" decisions, not because they take too long.   How much more developer friendly does City Hall need to be?  Top reason to fear a Davis administration. 

Just look at Davis's career... head of the Northeast Florida Builders Association and Jacksonville Chamber of Commerce... along with his donor class to see who "owns" him.

jaxlongtimer

« Reply #372 on: May 07, 2023, 12:56:06 AM »
Deegan responds to new hypocritical, false, mean-spirited and sleazy new Davis ad attacking her nonprofit cancer foundation:
Attacks on Donna Deegan don't tell the whole story, as Daniel Davis benefited also.

Jacksonville mayoral candidate Donna Deegan is speaking out against a new ad against her in the race for mayor.

“This attack ad is dirty politics as usual, and the type of desperate behavior we see time and time again from candidates who are losing this close to an election. They lie, smear, and distort the truth to distract from their own records,” said Deegan, who also addressed the ad in a video on Twitter.

The spot accused Deegan of taking “hundreds of thousands of dollars of COVID money,” with her DONNA Foundation continuing to work through the pandemic, which actually saw a 78% uptick in call volume in the months after COVID-19 and mitigation strategies changed society.

While Deegan’s outfit properly programmed the money, she notes that her opponent’s organization benefited from pandemic funding much more than the Foundation and its breast cancer patients.

“But the facts speak for themselves, and the truth is this: Daniel Davis receives a $536,464-a-year taxpayer-funded salary at the JAX Chamber of Commerce, which took $900,000 in federal PPP loans that were ultimately forgiven after the Covid-19 pandemic,” Deegan notes.

“This is exactly why we need change in Jacksonville. People are tired and fed up with the same old politicians who have repeatedly failed our city and its residents. It’s time to turn the page to a new day once and for all. It’s time to reject the negativity and division and demand leadership that unites and creates positive change in Jacksonville. Change for good,” Deegan adds.

Interestingly, Davis himself has been mute on these issues, leaving it to Mayor Lenny Curry to go on the attack.

“Decrying ‘corruption’ & ‘cronyism’ tends to fall flat when the proof is in the payment. As the head of an org that benefited from these funds, when a family member was council prez, you would think disqualifies you from ‘taking a stand.’ Looks more like you took the money & ran.”

The General Election is May 16.

https://floridapolitics.com/archives/610418-pandemic-funding-weaponized-in-jacksonville-mayors-race/

Charles Hunter

« Reply #373 on: May 10, 2023, 09:48:55 AM »
Republican District 14 Councilmember Randy Defoor endorses Deegan.

“All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men [and women] do nothing. I simply cannot do nothing in the face of what I believe to be a serious threat to this city that we love. I am known to be direct, so let me be so now. The simple facts are these: How you run a campaign is reflective of how you will govern. If that is true, Daniel Davis’ campaign has shown clearly who he is and who and what values will be guiding him in the future. I believe that 4, potentially 8 more years of that kind of thuggery shown in the campaign will wreak havoc on our city. No one can be safe, or prosper in a city run with Chicago-style rules, and the truth goes out the window. Worse he and his handlers seek to divide us, neighbor against neighbor. Donna Deegan and I do not agree on some issues, but I know her heart, and she loves our city and would not make a move that would harm her home. Like my family, she is a multi-generation Jacksonville native. She is honest. And right now that is more important than anything else. I urge everyone to pause and ponder the issue of honesty before they vote.”
    —  Randy DeFoor
https://www.actionnewsjax.com/news/local/randy-defoor-endorses-donna-deegan-jacksonville-mayor-over-opponents-tactics/UJCJGR57ZRDI7PNEHHHAQTW3JE/

tufsu1

« Reply #374 on: May 10, 2023, 11:34:17 AM »
^ great news and her assessment is spot on - I'm still holding out hope that Cumber does as well
« Last Edit: May 10, 2023, 11:38:47 AM by tufsu1 »