Author Topic: DIA wants the Landing to start with a park  (Read 5821 times)

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
Re: DIA wants the Landing to start with a park
« Reply #45 on: April 02, 2021, 11:11:02 AM »
^Ultimately, some personnel changes in city hall will be needed. History has proven time and time again that downtown revitalization decisions will be tainted and influenced by things that simply aren't needed at the expense, but added and implemented via personal opinion of decision makers that may not be best qualified to make said decisions. Don't become a cheerleader or get overly optimistic with the future without better understanding the past or seeing change with that dynamic. With that said, try not to be pessimistic but definitely be realistic and don't hesitate to slap the big cups of kool aid being passed out, right out of people's hands.

From a realistic perspective, it's the non sexy, non newspaper headline grabbing policy stuff that is worthy of celebration. Like the incentives update to the historic preservation trust fund. We haven't had the same number of demolitions proposed in the Northbank since that went through. If anything, we should extend the Downtown National Register Historic District to cover adjacent historic areas like LaVilla, so those property owners will have an inclusive and equitable opportunity as well.

In addition, if the gas tax is passed, the local revenue generated from the move is the transformative and game changing element. Yet, there's still tons of work to do to make sure we're not wasting the revenue on foolish projects while not properly funding the right projects. The Landing site would be an example of this. If we want this to be iconic, it's way too early to restrict the cost to something that peer cities throw into regular neighborhood parks. If we want a Bean, then we need to know the cost of the Bean and be willing to throw a similar number into the budget for that item. If we want an iconic park, we need to take a look at spaces we consider to be iconic and be willing to provide funding in a similar price range for a space of our own.

If we're not willing to drop $50MM to $100MM, then let's stop using the word iconic, because we simply aren't getting there if that definition applies to a comparison of similar spaces in peer communities. By the same token, it's also foolish to throw hundreds of millions into moving the jail, when those funds could literally 100% buildout a quality of life project like the Emerald Trail, restore Springfield Park, resolve the convention center dilemma now or give you a real centralized iconic public park to cluster around.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2021, 11:19:38 AM by thelakelander »
"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.” - Muhammad Ali

fsu813

« Reply #46 on: April 07, 2021, 01:14:24 PM »
I'd like to start a movement to relocate the orange T-rex statue to the Landing site. This would be the strategic silver bullet move that checks all the boxes.

✔ iconic
✔ unique
✔ public art
✔ engaging
✔ sense of place
✔ pedestrian scale
✔ regional attraction
✔ catalyst for investment
✔ surprisingly low upfront costs

Beach Boulevard sucks. This needs to be it's new home.

Ken_FSU

« Reply #47 on: April 07, 2021, 11:57:34 PM »
I'd like to start a movement to relocate the orange T-rex statue to the Landing site. This would be the strategic silver bullet move that checks all the boxes.

✔ iconic
✔ unique
✔ public art
✔ engaging
✔ sense of place
✔ pedestrian scale
✔ regional attraction

Not gonna lie, I don't hate this idea.

Not necessarily for the Landing, but it'd be fun to have the T-Rex on the river somewhere for all the reasons you listed above.

jaxlongtimer

« Reply #48 on: April 08, 2021, 12:07:47 AM »
^Might add that a dinosaur is a metaphor for the current state of Downtown  ;D.

Ken_FSU

« Reply #49 on: April 08, 2021, 08:18:15 AM »
^Might add that a dinosaur is a metaphor for the current state of Downtown  ;D.

Part of the reason why I love it  ;D

At least we can blame the endless rubble, blighted buildings, and countless surface lots on an extinction event.

Jason

• Global Moderator
  • I am the man in the box...
« Reply #50 on: April 08, 2021, 11:58:34 AM »
Should make it a Godzilla statue and we can just blame him for razing half of downtown....

jcjohnpaint

• Jason John- www.jasonjohnart.com
    • Jason John Website
« Reply #51 on: April 08, 2021, 12:13:29 PM »
I think Godzilla is Curry's spirit animal

fsu813

« Reply #52 on: April 08, 2021, 03:57:56 PM »

✔ iconic
✔ unique
✔ public art
✔ engaging
✔ sense of place
✔ pedestrian scale
✔ regional attraction

✔ Rename the former Landing site "JURASSIC PARK"

These brilliant ideas are all free of charge, btw. I need to be on someone's marketing payroll.

Zac T

« Reply #53 on: April 09, 2021, 11:23:27 AM »
Agency Landscape + Planning had a tent at the Jax River Jams concert last night and were engaging people on what type of amenities they'd like to see in a park at the former Landing site. You can call or text 539-3826 to leave recommendations