Author Topic: DIA wants the Landing to start with a park  (Read 172823 times)

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
Re: DIA wants the Landing to start with a park
« Reply #450 on: May 01, 2024, 09:50:02 AM »
The Landing site is the most opinionated site in the city's history over the last two decades. This is one where there will never be community consensus. I'm hoping COJ will get something functional done and move on. We've got bigger issues to fry in downtown.
"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.” - Muhammad Ali

jaxlongtimer

« Reply #451 on: May 01, 2024, 01:31:49 PM »
^ To me, it is about balance.  One alternate is to have restaurants surround the outer boundaries of a park or green space and open up toward same. 

We had a nice riverfront restaurant on the Southbank and tore it down.  We had several riverfront restaurants on the Northbank and tore those down.  With this track record and resiliency concerns, some decent planning and inputs should be performed before plowing ahead just so we can say we did something.

In Battery Park in Manhattan, they have a restaurant facing the water and it is surrounded on all sides by a park and greenspace.  The difference is they have far more greenspace than Jax has to work with.  Thus, proportionality should be a factor in any developments.  A restaurant should not dominate a park or interfere with non-patrons using the park but, rather, compliment the park's usage.

This picture below from a previous post here of Battery Park demonstrates my comment above about proportionality and balance.  The restaurant is at the far lower right corner of the park's greenspace at the very end of the riverwalk (inset-ed in the angled section).  There is a large outdoor eating plaza between the building and the riverwalk further setting the restaurant building back to make it less obtrusive.  Overall, the restaurant is a tiny fraction of the park's size.  FYI, the mostly round building in the picture is the historic battery structure from which the park takes its name.  The upright light colored panels at the park's midsection are, as I recall, a war memorial.

Note that all the tallest buildings are set well back of the waterfront.  The ultimate plan is to greenbelt the entire Manhattan island at its waterfront.

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #452 on: May 02, 2024, 09:47:03 AM »
Even with the Battery, I get the impression that Pier A and Castle Clinton would both be opposed if proposed at the Landing site. People in this town have been fanatic about it for decades. We literally just blew up probably the most architecturally unique building we had on the riverfront. Now there's been considerable debate on the location of a single restaurant. Battery Park has more than one place to eat, along with subway lines and a highway running under it. Its also a historic site, which makes it hard to compare or serve as an example for the former Landing site. Nevertheless, its very good that for NYC designated those Battery Park sites as historic landmarks.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2024, 09:51:07 AM by thelakelander »
"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.” - Muhammad Ali