Author Topic: DIA wants the Landing to start with a park  (Read 40827 times)

Ken_FSU

Re: DIA wants the Landing to start with a park
« Reply #135 on: June 25, 2021, 02:57:57 PM »
That's the rough part that they'll have to address. If Agency knew the budget was $30 million, would aspects of their design change? Anyone know what the parameters of the competition were and if a $15 million budget was one of them?

Exact language given to applicants was:

Budget to be determined based on design, but a placeholder budget of 10-15 million is being proposed for inclusion in next year’s capital plan.

I believe the insinuation was also made that the above budget was for the park itself, and that public art should be broken out separately and would likely come from a different funding source.

heights unknown

• HEIGHTS UNKNOWN (HOT DAMMIT!) YES...SUPER TALLS!!!
    • FRESH START SOCIAL SERVICE AGENCY
« Reply #136 on: June 25, 2021, 03:07:44 PM »
heights - What is it you like about the Agency proposal over the other two?  If it just cost, then the 'best' solution is to leave the space as it is today - no capital cost, and minimal O&M cost.
heights - What is it you like about the Agency proposal over the other two?  If it just cost, then the 'best' solution is to leave the space as it is today - no capital cost, and minimal O&M cost.
No, it's a personal preference choice; i just like the look of Agency over P&W; they both basically have the same things in their proposals; but I just like Agency's presentation look better. I know the pricing will change as time goes on (cost), but the the cost had nothing to do with my choice. They all will probably be in the same price range after all is said and done.
PLEASE FEEL FREE TO ACCESS MY PERSONAL FACEBOOK PAGE AT: https://www.facebook.com/garrybernardcoston.personal/ or, access my Social Service national/world wide page if you love supporting charities/social entities at: http://www.freshstartsocialagency.com; thank you!!!

Ken_FSU

« Reply #137 on: June 25, 2021, 03:17:28 PM »
Suppose we drop the Riverfront Jax park design entirely, how could something like Perkins & Will's design then fit into that space? How might that affect the proposed city share of that project? Can we make these ideas work together?

One more piece to consider is the adjacent "Music Park" at the T-U Center, which (insert grain of salt) is supposed to be funded and under construction by Q1.

vicupstate

« Reply #138 on: June 25, 2021, 03:30:48 PM »
While we are on the subject of public art and icons, I always thought it would be a great idea for Jacksonville to incorporate both into the entrances to the city on I-95 (North and South) and I-10.  The city limits will never move, so it is an option that many cities don't have in the same way.  The three sites could each be different, but be a variation on a theme. You could also extend it to a location in DT as well, for a total of four sites.  Someone a lot more artistic than me would have to come up with the design/theme, but if done right, I think it would have a big mental impact and raise the city's profile.  All of the city limit points are 'out in the middle of nowhere' with nothing really around them currently. They would all be hard to miss.  One idea would be to incorporate neon lights to piggyback with the lighted bridges/buildings DT.

"The problem with quotes on the internet is you can never be certain they're authentic." - Abraham Lincoln

fsu813

« Reply #139 on: June 25, 2021, 03:58:10 PM »
Suppose we drop the Riverfront Jax park design entirely, how could something like Perkins & Will's design then fit into that space? How might that affect the proposed city share of that project? Can we make these ideas work together?

One more piece to consider is the adjacent "Music Park" at the T-U Center, which (insert grain of salt) is supposed to be funded and under construction by Q1.

No, no, no. It's much better to piece meal it, plan all these various public riverfront spaces in silos.

Ken_FSU

« Reply #140 on: June 25, 2021, 04:49:12 PM »
RE: Park

No, no, no. It's much better to piece meal it, plan all these various public riverfront spaces in silos.

Details are starting to come out about the Shipyards park that will be created via land swap when Kids Campus is developed by the Jags.

Remediation will cost $2 million (half of which will be covered by the feds, half of which will come out of the $13 million we have squirreled away for remediation already), and will involve adding a two-foot cap across the site (three-foot cap in the portion where the Fire Museum will be relocated to).

Hope is to combine the Fire Museum, Orleck Museum, and USS Orleck into a "Hero Park," and to reclaim some of the submerged land for park space or floating amenities.

Design and riverwalk reconstruction would potentially come out of next year's budget, with full construction costs maybe being allocated the year after.

Will be interesting to see how this all plays out.

Best case scenario is that all the parks end up being awesome.

Worst case scenario is that all of these park projects stretch a finite budget thin enough to where they all get half-assed.

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #141 on: June 25, 2021, 05:13:10 PM »
^Here you go!

There's a few options for Metropolitan Park. I have to get on the road to head back to Jax. I'll upload them later.
"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.” - Muhammad Ali

jaxlongtimer

« Reply #142 on: June 25, 2021, 07:17:23 PM »
I think the Perkins & Will art piece certainly exceeded what the DIA specifically wanted. It is very nice.

I would prefer it to say 'Bold City' instead of 'Jax', but that's likely much harder to script out legibly.  With the Shipyards/Met Park proposals, these proposals on Lenny's Lawn and the Friendship Fountain proposals... you are talking what would approach North of $200mm in public funding along the riverfront... which would unquestionably live up to the moniker of the 'Bold New City of the South'

I would fully support spending $200 million or even a good bit more to create all these parks on this level.  And, that's above and beyond the force multiplier of the Emerald Trail.  I have no doubt the ROI will be far more than spending similar magnitudes on Lot J, U2C or any of our interstate projects.  The demand for housing, office space and tourism Downtown, not to mention the boost in civic pride (our excuse for subsidizing all the asks by the Jaguars that will far exceed this over time) and ultimate increase in tax collections would make it all worthwhile. 

Let's not squander this once in a hundred years opportunity and make it happen!  Future citizens will also be thanking us for decades to come.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2021, 10:57:44 PM by jaxlongtimer »

jaxjags

« Reply #143 on: June 25, 2021, 08:13:22 PM »
Plus add in the potential for SE Development plans for Riverfront Jacksonville and you have the potential for a "game changer." Seriously, if we want to step up to the big league we need to find a way to do all of this: The Riverfront Plaza, Riverfront Jacksonville, the Shipyards (with MOSH as the star), 1st Downtown, and the Emerald trail. Civic Jax needs to step up and as one of the lowest taxed cities in the US, the citizens need to step-up.

Ken_FSU

« Reply #144 on: June 25, 2021, 08:45:27 PM »
Thanks for sharing, Ennis!

These park plans are all so looking so promising.

Mike mentioned earlier that there's a local company dying to build office space on one of the Landing pads.

I think we'd see similar interest across the riverfront if some of these parks come to fruition, which would hopefully save us some money on the back end by not having to incentivize every development with tax rebates and cash grants.

What's exciting to me is that - though I've been burned many times getting my hopes up - it feels like there's reason to believe that we'll actually see movement on some of these parks in the next two years.

Met Park: The Four Seasons plan flew through the first DIA vote today, and goes before the entire DIA for an easy yes vote on July 7th. There's no way City Council doesn't push this one through nearly unanimously. Met Park is absolutely pivotal to the luxury hotel development. The Jags are committed to making it a showcase park and an event epicenter, and the city will be committed to funding the marina revamps. Feeling like this one has to happen. Looking forward to seeing what the Dupont folks suggest for Met Park.

MOSH: MOSH is KILLING IT with their capital campaign. They've already shattered what they hoped to raise from the private sector, and should have no issues securing the remaining funding from the city (which already earmarked $20 million for MOSH Genesis) and state. They've been meeting with three design teams from three national/international firms (based in London, Omaha, and Detroit) in the last few months, and should have their architect secured within weeks. Feels like this thing is moving full speed ahead, and MOSH has a smart plan for phased construction. Plans calls for a huge setback from the river, with lots of greenspace. Again, feels like this one is destined to happen.

Hogans West Park: Lori Boyer thinks this one is going to start fast. This is because the Jags can't develop Kids Campus without an actual park in place to replace it (not just a grass field, but an actual park). There's talk of actually funding this park first next year, and then funding the marina upgrades the following year, in order to get things moving quickly on the park swap. Remediation is only expected to cost $2 million, which still leaves $11 million in the remediation coffers for other portions of the Shipyards (MOSH, Phase II of the Jags project, etc.).

The Landing: There's $15 million in the CIP earmarked for a new park at the Landing. Sounds like there's going to be a lot of red tape logistically with the site, but I feel like there's going to be a real will to get this one done. Might take a while to get started, but I have confidence it'll happen. And I think the public art centerpiece will gets a huge chunk of its funding from private donors.

Music Park: Same thing. 60% design plans are in, full design plans should be in by fall, money has been set aside for it for the last two years, Performing Arts center is super engaged, CSX is on board, feels like (similar to St. Johns Park), though it's dragged, it's gotta get started eventually.

St. John's Park/Friendship Fountain: Already underway.

The District/RiversEdge riverfront park: Fully designed. Public art has been commissioned. The DIA and city are on the hook to construct it once the bulkhead work is complete at the site, regardless of how slowly private development progresses.

Emerald Trail: FULLY FUNDED via the gas tax with the first phase projected to be under construction next year.

Won't happen overnight, obviously, but if all of these things fall into place, we could be looking at a radically different riverfront by 2025.

heights unknown

• HEIGHTS UNKNOWN (HOT DAMMIT!) YES...SUPER TALLS!!!
    • FRESH START SOCIAL SERVICE AGENCY
« Reply #145 on: June 25, 2021, 10:44:28 PM »
^Here you go!

There's a few options for Metropolitan Park. I have to get on the road to head back to Jax. I'll upload them later.
LOLOLOLOL...HERE YOU GO...HA HA HA HA.
PLEASE FEEL FREE TO ACCESS MY PERSONAL FACEBOOK PAGE AT: https://www.facebook.com/garrybernardcoston.personal/ or, access my Social Service national/world wide page if you love supporting charities/social entities at: http://www.freshstartsocialagency.com; thank you!!!

jaxoNOLE

« Reply #146 on: July 19, 2021, 12:31:00 PM »
I've not seen any real public discussion of the presentations since they were given, but isn't a selection supposed to be made this month? Possibly at Wednesday's DIA board meeting? Anyone have insight or info on where this process stands?

Ken_FSU

« Reply #147 on: July 19, 2021, 06:37:39 PM »
I've not seen any real public discussion of the presentations sinceeet they were given, but isn't a selection supposed to be made this month? Possibly at Wednesday's DIA board meeting? Anyone have insight or info on where this process stands?

Thursday.

Won’t be at the DIA meeting, but rather a special Professional Services Evaluation Committee meeting.

Zac T

« Reply #148 on: July 20, 2021, 10:45:30 AM »
If you would like to express support for any of the park designs, you can email gpease@coj.net and state which design you prefer and why. The feedback window for the public closes Wednesday, July 21st at 5pm.

jaxoNOLE

« Reply #149 on: July 20, 2021, 04:23:15 PM »
Thursday.

Won’t be at the DIA meeting, but rather a special Professional Services Evaluation Committee meeting.

If you would like to express support for any of the park designs, you can email gpease@coj.net and state which design you prefer and why. The feedback window for the public closes Wednesday, July 21st at 5pm.

Great info, thanks to you both.