Author Topic: DCPS considering move away from river  (Read 1778 times)

marcuscnelson

• Gen Z - Tired of the status quo
DCPS considering move away from river
« on: November 18, 2020, 10:34:45 PM »
According to a claim about DCPS school board member Lori Hershey:

Today I introduced a resolution for the board to consider options to move off the river. We will vote on it in Dec.

Is it just me, or, between MOSH, the District, and now this, is the Southbank is getting shafted right now?
So, to the young people fighting in this movement for change, here is my charge: march in the streets, protest, run for school committee or city council or the state legislature. And win. - Ed Markey

jaxlongtimer

Re: DCPS considering move away from river
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2020, 10:42:49 PM »
LOL.  The DCPS School Board can move to Lot J!  Maybe Khan will even donate $5 million to the schools to get it done.  Of course, he will want the development rights to the DCPS's current riverfront property in return plus another multi-million dollar sweetheart deal with his buddy, Curry.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2020, 10:59:11 PM by jaxlongtimer »

scbennett67@gmail.com

« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2020, 05:59:49 AM »
It does seem like a waste to have a school board building on prime property.

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2020, 07:33:02 AM »
It's a waste. It would be a waste to build a new office from scratch as well. Hopefully, they can fill some empty downtown office building.
"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.” - Muhammad Ali

Captain Zissou

« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2020, 09:48:17 AM »
Is it just me, or, between MOSH, the District, and now this, is the Southbank is getting shafted right now?

Leanna Cumber said last night that the District is starting construction, so you can take that to the bank [/sarcasm]

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2020, 10:38:07 AM »
^Starting construction will basically be pushing some dirt around to build some streets and to extend the riverwalk. Haven't heard of or seen anything regarding vertical construction of any residential or commercial structure related to this development.
"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.” - Muhammad Ali

sandyshoes

« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2020, 08:12:23 AM »
While it is wonderful to be on the river and have some of those views, they sorely need a new building.  I worked there for a few years, and in the wintertime the boilers kept breaking down and there seemed to be no insulation in the place (windows, etc.) to speak of.  It was actually very cold in there, in my own experience, even when wearing layers and layers and layers of clothing and socks.  Agreed, there are many vacant buildings downtown they should consider before going to the great expense and wait of building new.  Something else to consider; their Accounting office is downtown in the old Technical High School - would they want something large enough to accommodate the entire DCPS administration system under the same roof?  How insulated is the old Armory building, downtown?  What about the (soon to be) old JEA building...what other buildings do you think might be a good space for them?

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2020, 09:10:01 AM »
The old Armory is being renovated into a food hall, artist and office space. I doubt they'll have enough space for DCPS to be a tenant. Depending on how much space they need, there's a lot of flexibility with what's available. Most of the Enterprise Center is still vacant. The Universal Marion building will also be available when JEA moves in a couple of years. There's also smaller vacant buildings like the former Furchgotts.

vicupstate

« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2020, 10:02:45 AM »
DCPS probably wants to own its offices. Are there any buildings that are for sale that would meet the space requirement?  What IS the space requirement anyway?
"The problem with quotes on the internet is you can never be certain they're authentic." - Abraham Lincoln

Steve

• The Jaxson
« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2020, 10:29:18 AM »
DCPS probably wants to own its offices. Are there any buildings that are for sale that would meet the space requirement?  What IS the space requirement anyway?

If FBC was open to a piecemeal project, then perhaps one of their buildings and a parking garage could work too.

The currently DCPS building is just over 122k SqFt. For context Furschgott's is 57k all in (including the basement), so they'd need 2 of them. Universal Marion is 222k, not including the old Ivey's, so that's a little big. I know DCPS has property elsewhere, so maybe they could consolidate some stuff downtown. Obviously there's the old T-U building, but if the goal is to get off the river then you really didn't accomplish that.

I couldn't see them leasing. If they bought it would be government owned (so no property taxes), so it's probably more economical to own.

Steve

• The Jaxson
« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2020, 10:35:05 AM »

If FBC was open to a piecemeal project, then perhaps one of their buildings and a parking garage could work too.

The currently DCPS building is just over 122k SqFt. For context Furschgott's is 57k all in (including the basement), so they'd need 2 of them. Universal Marion is 222k, not including the old Ivey's, so that's a little big. I know DCPS has property elsewhere, so maybe they could consolidate some stuff downtown. Obviously there's the old T-U building, but if the goal is to get off the river then you really didn't accomplish that.

I couldn't see them leasing. If they bought it would be government owned (so no property taxes), so it's probably more economical to own.

Check that - the 222k INCLUDES the Ivey's. I can't figure out (easily) what the split is between Ivey's and the Tower. Perhaps one or the other may work? Perhaps they could get the Laura St. Garage from FBC (not sure of they'd be motivated to do a deal for just that), keeping the old JEA garage for the other half of the development, which could be private?

bl8jaxnative

« Reply #11 on: November 20, 2020, 10:40:15 AM »

Look at that, Duval Schools got their tax increase and already they're looking to spend it on what they're already overspending on --> administration and back office.  SOOOOPRISE, SOOOOPRISE.  That's how monopolies roll, y'll.

Anywhoooooooo, this may be testing the waters.  __IF__ that development at the old generator land next door actually secures funding ( BIG IF ), their spot next door to it is going to be a lot more enticing.   

Throw in the glut of Class A office space downtown JAX and the move may practically pay for itself.

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #12 on: November 20, 2020, 10:41:29 AM »
Ivey's is 180k SF. That could be another option. If they desired their own space at that much square footage, own parking, etc., that would likely push them into possibly having to buy a large building with parking or building new. How large is the building Stein Mart is located in and how much space do they take up?

Steve

• The Jaxson
« Reply #13 on: November 20, 2020, 10:45:07 AM »

Look at that, Duval Schools got their tax increase and already they're looking to spend it on what they're already overspending on --> administration and back office.  SOOOOPRISE, SOOOOPRISE.  That's how monopolies roll, y'll.

Anywhoooooooo, this may be testing the waters.  __IF__ that development at the old generator land next door actually secures funding ( BIG IF ), their spot next door to it is going to be a lot more enticing.   

Throw in the glut of Class A office space downtown JAX and the move may practically pay for itself.

I'm pretty sure the goal of moving would be a net increase in value. Next door to them is a new apartment complex, so selling the property shouldn't be hard.

I don't see them leasing space in a tower. Commercial office buildings are private and pays property tax, so any landlord isn't going to give DCPS a break to be a nice guy; they'd have to buy/build something.

Steve

• The Jaxson
« Reply #14 on: November 20, 2020, 10:48:23 AM »
Ivey's is 180k SF. That could be another option. If they desired their own space at that much square footage, own parking, etc., that would likely push them into possibly having to buy a large building with parking or building new. How large is the building Stein Mart is located in and how much space do they take up?

Stein Mart building is 250k, plus it's partially occupied still. I know TD Bank has offices in it.