Author Topic: Home 2 Suites by Hilton proposed for Brooklyn  (Read 4368 times)

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
Home 2 Suites by Hilton proposed for Brooklyn
« on: November 12, 2020, 04:59:01 PM »
A 100 room Home 2 Suites by Hilton is proposed for 600 Park Street in Brooklyn. Currently a surface parking lot next door to Jimmy Johns, the hotel would be six levels and include space for a ground floor restaurant at the intersection of Park and Rosselle Streets. The hotel would be built along Park Street with a surface parking lot in the rear of the structure. A DDRB workshop was held for the project this afternoon. Founded in 2009, Home2 Suites by Hilton is an all-suite extended-stay hotel that competes with TownePlace Suites by Marriott and InterContinental Hotels Group's Candlewood Suites.
"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.” - Muhammad Ali

marcuscnelson

• Gen Z - Tired of the status quo
Re: Home 2 Suites by Hilton proposed for Brooklyn
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2020, 05:06:07 PM »
Is this the second or third hotel in Brooklyn?
So, to the young people fighting in this movement for change, here is my charge: march in the streets, protest, run for school committee or city council or the state legislature. And win. - Ed Markey

JaxAvondale

« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2020, 05:30:11 PM »
Does anybody have a link to the renderings?

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2020, 05:54:39 PM »
The design will change but I have some screenshots I can upload.
"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.” - Muhammad Ali

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2020, 06:06:00 PM »

During the workshop, the DDRB recommended that the design team enhance the facade of the structure, especially at the corner where the restaurant will be located.

Tacachale

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2020, 06:43:58 PM »
Not bad.
Do you believe that when the blue jay or another bird sings and the body is trembling, that is a signal that people are coming or something important is about to happen?

JaxAvondale

« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2020, 08:27:48 PM »
Interesting project. It will be nice to have a Hilton property in the area. Many of my vendors that visit me are loyal Hilton Honors members.

BridgeTroll

• Global Moderator
  • The average person thinks he isnt
    • London Bridge Pub
« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2020, 07:31:19 AM »
Just stayed in a Home2 in Greenville SC... I was impressed...
In a boat at sea one of the men began to bore a hole in the bottom of the boat. On being remonstrating with, he answered, "I am only boring under my own seat." "Yes," said his companions, "but when the sea rushes in we shall all be drowned with you."

marcuscnelson

• Gen Z - Tired of the status quo
« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2020, 05:37:51 PM »
So, to the young people fighting in this movement for change, here is my charge: march in the streets, protest, run for school committee or city council or the state legislature. And win. - Ed Markey

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2020, 05:53:06 PM »
You can also see the DDRB plans for the Independent Life Building and Central Fire Station here:

https://dia.coj.net/Meetings/Upcoming-Meetings/DDRB/DDRB-Meeting-December-2020

itsfantastic1

« Reply #10 on: December 03, 2020, 10:10:21 PM »
You can also see the DDRB plans for the Independent Life Building and Central Fire Station here:

Maybe I don't understand, but the DDRB packet says it recommends rejection of the hotel project unless they seek a deviation because of their surface lot? I assume this means either the design will be tweaked to conform further to the downtown zoning layout banning visible surface lots or they'll work with them to get them a deviation granted?

Steve

• The Jaxson
« Reply #11 on: December 03, 2020, 10:35:27 PM »
I need to process that one. On the surface I’m not sure how this is any different than the Vestcor apartments they tossed up in LaVilla and Brooklyn.

Aside from that I thought the design was “fine”. Not overwhelming and not going to win any awards, but for that site (currently a dirt parking lot if I remember right), unquestionably an improvement.

My first reaction is the board should override staff and approve. It’s pretty rare I feel that way!

fieldafm

• Editor
« Reply #12 on: December 04, 2020, 09:52:19 AM »

Maybe I don't understand, but the DDRB packet says it recommends rejection of the hotel project unless they seek a deviation because of their surface lot? I assume this means either the design will be tweaked to conform further to the downtown zoning layout banning visible surface lots or they'll work with them to get them a deviation granted?

Basically, the building frotange doesn't wrap around enough of the surface parking lot.

Frankly, I think the recommendation is absurd.  The building fully abuts Park Street.. which is your main artery. There is an outdoor seating amenity proposed along Roselle, to complement the first floor ground retail space along Park Street.  Although the Code is insufficient because it doesn't identify what should be pedestrian-oriented/retail arteries and what should be considered service arteries (if it did, Roselle would be a service artery)... Park Street is where you should most care about how the building interacts on a pedestrian scale. Quibble if you want about requiring an overhang/awning at both the Park Street hotel entrance and restaurant entrance.. that's fine, requiring that doesn't even move a decimal point in the project's construction budget.  On the proposed site design, a surface parking lot (on what would be considered a service road) is directly across the street from a drive-thru fast food restaurant (the irony is thick in that 'deviation').

Across the street, the dialysis clinic (!) was approved with a surface parking lot that required the same deviation (and has no transparent windows along Park Street... the hotel will at least have 35% of its ground floor frontage with full-length windows dedicated to an on-site gym, and about 20-25% each for a hotel entrance and a restaurant entrance). One block away, a suburban-oriented gas station was approved, and a parking garage was approved and constructed in a manner which will never provide ground-level retail (despite whatever the nonbinding language in the approval read.. it was not built with a facade that can be easily converted for retail).  A block away from that, a hotel was approved that doesn't even front the street at all... in fact, its about as a suburban layout as possible.  Two more blocks away, the Vestcor podium style building has only a slightly less % of a parking deviation... and two blocks from that, a surface parking lots fronts more than 50% of your main arterial across an entire city block within the Fresh Market grocery store-anchored strip mall.

The biggest irony, is that the current property owner (who is under contract to sell to the proposed developer) tore down two buildings on this site about 5 years ago.. and about a year and a half ago, was somehow permitted to build a surface parking lot for Florida Blue on the site.  Forget about overlay deviations... the specific act of tearing down buildings to build surface parking lot is ILLEGAL (no exceptions, no deviations, etc) in the current code. Furthermore, the current parking lot doesn't even conform to the current parking lot standards if it was a grandfathered use (it was not a grandfathered use.. it was just built less than two years ago... a decade after the parking lot standards went into effect).

The hotel fixes, in very real terms, something that was never allowed to happen in the first place... tearing down buildings to build a chain link fence-bordered surface parking lot. And it does so in a much better site design than anything that was previously approved within a 5 block area.

It's perfectly in line or better than most everything else approved in Brooklyn.  The use meets a very unmet need (long term hotel accommodations near two Fortune 500 companies and a vibrant commercial district). You have an experienced hotel operator and an an experienced local developer.  Approve the damn thing and get it built already!
« Last Edit: December 04, 2020, 11:53:26 AM by fieldafm »

Steve

• The Jaxson
« Reply #13 on: December 04, 2020, 10:07:57 AM »
Basically, the building frotange doesn't wrap around enough of the surface parking lot.

No argument with anything you said, but again, what is different here vs. the Vestcor stuff in LaVilla? Those buildings don't wrap around the parking lots either.

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #14 on: December 04, 2020, 10:13:07 AM »
It's perfectly in line or better than most everything else approved in Brooklyn.  The use meets a very unmet need (long term hotel accommodations near two Fortune 500 companies and a vibrant commercial district). You have an experienced hotel operator and an an experienced local developer.  Approve the damn thing and get it built already!

THIS!