Author Topic: MOSH weighs relocating museum from its Southbank site in downtown Jacksonville  (Read 8224 times)

Captain Zissou

Agreed that various groups should partner on this and there are many good options. JU's Marine Science Institute would also be a good partner. A REALLY big opportunity is to get OCEARCH to relocate their fleet to the site and create and exhibit. I believe they are currently at Mayport Village. They have a global following and might actually pull some people off I-95.

I don't know if this has changed since Vystar took over the building, but I know OCEARCH was using some space in the JU facilities downtown last year or in 2018. 
I agree that they would be another great partner to engage along with JU.  The water taxi could do quarterly science treks between MOSH, JU, the Zoo and exchange island if that were to be built out.  Could be an overnight thing and that would be an awesome program.  MOSH was already within a 2 minute walk of the water, but with the clean slate that this new location provides, I think MOSH and COJ need to get this right as far as building an educational hub that incorporates our many local science organizations and engage one of the areas greatest resources, the river, as much as possible.

Starting to feel like those Baltimore guys, so I'll calm down for now..

Ken_FSU

The Current MoCA space would make for a nice boutique hotel for the library and Sweet Pete's which often host weddings and other events.

MOCA cafe is closing after today :(

Not enough foot traffic with the pandemic.

Just grabbed lunch from there a few minutes ago.

Going to miss that Sweet Potato Bisque.

CityLife

Agreed that various groups should partner on this and there are many good options. JU's Marine Science Institute would also be a good partner. A REALLY big opportunity is to get OCEARCH to relocate their fleet to the site and create and exhibit. I believe they are currently at Mayport Village. They have a global following and might actually pull some people off I-95.

I don't know if this has changed since Vystar took over the building, but I know OCEARCH was using some space in the JU facilities downtown last year or in 2018. 
I agree that they would be another great partner to engage along with JU.  The water taxi could do quarterly science treks between MOSH, JU, the Zoo and exchange island if that were to be built out.  Could be an overnight thing and that would be an awesome program.  MOSH was already within a 2 minute walk of the water, but with the clean slate that this new location provides, I think MOSH and COJ need to get this right as far as building an educational hub that incorporates our many local science organizations and engage one of the areas greatest resources, the river, as much as possible.

Starting to feel like those Baltimore guys, so I'll calm down for now..

Those Baltimore guys wish they had ideas like this.

It truly is a no brainer to try to pull all of these entities together, and also do something at Exchange Island.

marcuscnelson

• Gen Z - Tired of the status quo
Still committed. ~4 years to open, apparently.

MOSH CEO hopes to open new museum in late 2024

https://www.actionnewsjax.com/news/mosh-ceo-hopes-open-up-new-museum-late-2024/CDLVQTCGI5CRNEHSHUVSHJQKSM/
So, to the young people fighting in this movement for change, here is my charge: march in the streets, protest, run for school committee or city council or the state legislature. And win. - Ed Markey

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
I doubt it. Lets give them a full year to get a design together, gain DDRB approval, get through permitting, etc. (highly unrealistic), then 24 to 36 months to construct. You're right at late 2024 already. Now, are they going to build this on a part of the Shipyards that is contaminated? How long would that clean up take? At Lot J, they were estimating as much as three years for the contamination cleanup part alone. If the same timeframe were applied to the Shipyards, then we're looking closer to 2027 than 2024.
"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.” - Muhammad Ali

jaxlongtimer

I doubt it. Lets give them a full year to get a design together, gain DDRB approval, get through permitting, etc. (highly unrealistic), then 24 to 36 months to construct. You're right at late 2024 already. Now, are they going to build this on a part of the Shipyards that is contaminated? How long would that clean up take? At Lot J, they were estimating as much as three years for the contamination cleanup part alone. If the same timeframe were applied to the Shipyards, then we're looking closer to 2027 than 2024.

The biggest issue is funding.  Based on the below article, it appears they have raised $7.5 million (30% raised of $25 million from private donors) of the $85+ million expected project costs (likely not counting the costs of any remediation).  Of the $7.5 million, $5 million came from Khan leaving $2.5 million from other private donors.  I am not sure how many more multi-million gifts they can count on but they will need a few to get there in time.

While I wish them well, given COVID's impact on both private and Federal/State/City finances, I am wondering how they will pull this off in time to open in 2024, on top of the issues Lake highlights.  Maybe Curry can redirect some of that $233 million for Lot J to this project :).

...High on the list of things that have to happen before any move is fundraising. In 2019, the museum released its ambitious MOSH 2.0 plan, which called for raising $20-$25 million from private sources to renovate the existing Southbank campus and tie it in with the adjacent Friendship Fountain. That plan was scrapped in October in favor of building a new facility across the river.

Fafard said MOSH has raised about 30 percent of that money. Much of it was donated for the old MOSH 2.0 plan, but Fafard said those donors have been supportive of MOSH Genesis, the plan for a new museum....

....Shad Khan, owner of the Jacksonville Jaguars, donated $5 million to the project in November after the planned move was announced. Khan has plans to develop several parcels of land near the new museum site.

The price tag for the new facility will be around $85 million. Fafard said MOSH is looking at city, state and federal grants to cover the bulk of the construction expense....

https://www.jacksonville.com/story/entertainment/arts/2021/01/21/mosh-jacksonville-museum-moving-ahead-northbank-relocation-plan/4220894001/
« Last Edit: January 26, 2021, 07:11:50 PM by jaxlongtimer »