Author Topic: MOSH weighs relocating museum from its Southbank site in downtown Jacksonville  (Read 5343 times)

Captain Zissou

Agreed that various groups should partner on this and there are many good options. JU's Marine Science Institute would also be a good partner. A REALLY big opportunity is to get OCEARCH to relocate their fleet to the site and create and exhibit. I believe they are currently at Mayport Village. They have a global following and might actually pull some people off I-95.

I don't know if this has changed since Vystar took over the building, but I know OCEARCH was using some space in the JU facilities downtown last year or in 2018. 
I agree that they would be another great partner to engage along with JU.  The water taxi could do quarterly science treks between MOSH, JU, the Zoo and exchange island if that were to be built out.  Could be an overnight thing and that would be an awesome program.  MOSH was already within a 2 minute walk of the water, but with the clean slate that this new location provides, I think MOSH and COJ need to get this right as far as building an educational hub that incorporates our many local science organizations and engage one of the areas greatest resources, the river, as much as possible.

Starting to feel like those Baltimore guys, so I'll calm down for now..

Ken_FSU

The Current MoCA space would make for a nice boutique hotel for the library and Sweet Pete's which often host weddings and other events.

MOCA cafe is closing after today :(

Not enough foot traffic with the pandemic.

Just grabbed lunch from there a few minutes ago.

Going to miss that Sweet Potato Bisque.

CityLife

Agreed that various groups should partner on this and there are many good options. JU's Marine Science Institute would also be a good partner. A REALLY big opportunity is to get OCEARCH to relocate their fleet to the site and create and exhibit. I believe they are currently at Mayport Village. They have a global following and might actually pull some people off I-95.

I don't know if this has changed since Vystar took over the building, but I know OCEARCH was using some space in the JU facilities downtown last year or in 2018. 
I agree that they would be another great partner to engage along with JU.  The water taxi could do quarterly science treks between MOSH, JU, the Zoo and exchange island if that were to be built out.  Could be an overnight thing and that would be an awesome program.  MOSH was already within a 2 minute walk of the water, but with the clean slate that this new location provides, I think MOSH and COJ need to get this right as far as building an educational hub that incorporates our many local science organizations and engage one of the areas greatest resources, the river, as much as possible.

Starting to feel like those Baltimore guys, so I'll calm down for now..

Those Baltimore guys wish they had ideas like this.

It truly is a no brainer to try to pull all of these entities together, and also do something at Exchange Island.