Author Topic: MOSH weighs relocating museum from its Southbank site in downtown Jacksonville  (Read 9236 times)

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
Shahid Khan and His Family Invest $5 Million in the Museum of Science & History’s MOSH Genesis Capital Campaign

Gift from the Jacksonville Jaguars owner represents largest private donation to date

Nov. 16, 2020 — JACKSONVILLE, Fla. — The Museum of Science & History (MOSH) today announced that Shahid Khan, owner of the Jacksonville Jaguars, and his family have committed an initial $5 million gift to the MOSH Genesis capital campaign — representing the largest private donation to the campaign to date.

Khan praised the Museum’s proposal to build a new museum on the Shipyards property shortly after it was publicly announced on October 15. In a previous statement, he said he was “all in” on the Museum’s plans, and that the new museum “would be a spectacular addition to Downtown Jacksonville.” This gift reinforces Khan’s efforts to bring new development to the region, complementing his vision for Lot J to create a thriving sports and entertainment district surrounding TIAA Bank Field.

“The best downtown districts in the United States include urban parkland and cultural destinations, and we can have that here in Jacksonville with the Museum of Science and History anchoring a new riverfront park,” said Khan. “I’m hoping my contribution to the capital campaign will spark additional commitment from throughout the region so we can get started on a new downtown. I am confident it will, because I know I’m not the only person in Jax who believes it’s time to finally meet and even exceed our potential.”

The Museum announced the launch of its capital campaign in March 2019, with the goal of raising $20 million in community support from individuals, businesses and corporations, foundations and other community stakeholders. Originally called MOSH 2.0, the campaign has since been retitled MOSH Genesis to reflect a new beginning for the Museum as it casts a bolder vision for the institution, as well as the City of Jacksonville.

“MOSH would like to express our sincere thanks to Shahid Khan and his family for committing to this remarkable investment in MOSH Genesis. This gift will not only propel the project forward, but serve as a wonderful example to others,” said Bruce Fafard, CEO of MOSH. “We appreciate the leadership role that Mr. Khan is taking to make Jacksonville a better place to live, work, and play.”
"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.” - Muhammad Ali

marcuscnelson

• Gen Z - Tired of the status quo
Sounds like someone's trying to get the heat off him. Lot J is getting the crap beaten out of it in polls.

That aside, this is a nice donation, and I'm sure MOSH appreciates it.
So, to the young people fighting in this movement for change, here is my charge: march in the streets, protest, run for school committee or city council or the state legislature. And win. - Ed Markey

Ken_FSU

Good for Khan.

Obviously doesn't hurt that it's good for optics with Lot J on the table, but $5 million is a nice gift.

I quite like the idea of MOSH Genesis and the USS Orleck anchoring the proposed new riverfront park.

There's still the pesky issue of a) getting the feds to sign off on a land swap, b) funding construction of said park.

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
^I'd like to see the Fire Museum added to the mix. No one is talking about it but it isn't on the Four Seasons plan. Would hate to see it get demoed for an apartment complex.
"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.” - Muhammad Ali

marcuscnelson

I quite like the idea of MOSH Genesis and the USS Orleck anchoring the proposed new riverfront park.

There's still the pesky issue of a) getting the feds to sign off on a land swap, b) funding construction of said park.

Right? Turns out clustering uses is good.

How about the city uses whatever endless money pile they're getting the money from for the Landing, Ford on Bay, Lot J, its share of the Hart Ramps, and all that other magical stuff?
So, to the young people fighting in this movement for change, here is my charge: march in the streets, protest, run for school committee or city council or the state legislature. And win. - Ed Markey

Wacca Pilatka

^I'd like to see the Fire Museum added to the mix. No one is talking about it but it isn't on the Four Seasons plan. Would hate to see it get demoed for an apartment complex.

Good point.  Wasn't that originally on Catherine Street anyway?
The tourist would realize at once that he had struck the Land of Flowers - the City Beautiful!

Henry J. Klutho

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
Yes, it was originally on Catherine Street, so a move would possibly put it back pretty close to where its history began.

JBTripper

Guys, what if MOSH put out these fancy renderings of a new Northbank facility in a bid to secure funds from Khan, only to produce a vastly scaled-back version of what was originally proposed on their current Southbank property?

marcuscnelson

I would be shocked! Shocked, I tell you! Who would do such a thing?!

jaxlongtimer

I don't know if moving MOSH is good or bad.  I hope their board is putting MOSH's interests first and not being browbeaten by the Mayor or his cronies who (cynic in me says) have some ulterior motives to help more of his major supporters.  I am looking for the other shoe to drop here like who gets the sweetheart deal to takeover the existing MOSH building/site and/or if this is something to boost the faux Bay Street "innovation" corridor that lacks "innovations" of consequence or if somehow this can benefit Khan's interests.

Given the speed, lack of transparency and no master plan for this move, one has to wonder what's really up here.

Time will tell but Dorothy, this isn't Kansas - it's Jacksonville!

My prediction of Kahn's interest in this project is on the mark.  Yes, it's a nice and generous contribution but my guess is the $5 million may also approximate the incremental costs of moving from the Southbank to a new building on the Northbank making it a wash for the net result.  Wouldn't be surprised if the MOSH board had Khan's pledge in hand when they voted to move.  If, indeed, MOSH is an asset along the river, it will benefit Khan's project as much as any* and he adds the "goodwill" of making a significant donation.  I hate being such a cynic, but I don't think much happens here based on altruism alone.  Sad to say and wish/hope I am wrong.  Let's see if Mr. Khan starts approaching the Weavers in expanding his generosity in his adopted City to get me thinking anew.

*To add after my post above, just saw this quote in the WJCT article the Jaxson posted:
MOSH’s leadership cited factors such as the proposed Lot J development nearby at the sports complex and the fact that a new building would eliminate the need to close the MOSH for approximately two years during construction.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2020, 11:08:42 PM by jaxlongtimer »

Charles Hunter

Not to put down a 5 million dollar donation, but isn't that a "rounding error" of his wealth?

Or, as some have put it, "sofa cushion money"

marcuscnelson

I hate being such a cynic, but I don't think much happens here based on altruism alone.

It is genuinely insane how many people don't believe this. You'd never expect it until you run into someone who believes (or at least pretends to) that Gate donates tens of thousands to political campaigns out of the simple feeling that they'd be the best for the job. Actually, let me paste just part of something I got from someone on Nextdoor once.

Nobody said we should elevate the local Peyton family and Gate above the rest, and nobody would, so that's a stupid and irrelevant conjecture: literally Democratic talking points of both local and national levels (because they're the same ideas, actually).
It's always a good idea to follow the money.  But remember, corporations are made up of people and hire people, which is where the rest of us get our living money...out of this "profit" you assume is bad.  It's not bad...it's your livelihood.  However, profit is bad if you or anyone seeks it above all else to the detriment of others.  Money is not the root of all evil...it's a useful tool.  The LOVE of money is the root of all evil.  Like individuals, corporations...because they are a group of individuals, can persue a money-making livlihood by providing a good, needed service.  Or, they can be toxic in practice or culture.  Most toxic practices are illegal or unprofitable. How will you retain your strength, your workforce, if you don't treat your people well, with respect?
It is unwise and unhealthy to assume all corporations are made up of greedy, heartless jerks just waiting to prey upon the good, innocent worker.  Life is about individual character, and it plays out in private life and in work life.  The truth that "he who is unfaithful in little is unfaithful in much," and "he who is faithful in little is faithful in much" applies here, too. A company can be well run by a benevolent person or team that built it from the ground up or took it over faithfully, or it can be run by narcissistic sociopaths (and employees come in various characters, too).  Those two companies would be very different.  And to treat them the same would be an injustice to the ones striving to run the one with integrity and heart and the greedy heartless ones.  Everything in life comes down to heart, character, and individual choices‐ good vs. bad, or as it has long been called: good vs. evil. It's ultimately that simple- Even in a corporation.

Do you know the inner workings of Gate Petroleum?  Are they run by a family who prizes the employees and treats them well, like the Green family, or are they not?  That determines if their support is good or a potentially bad indicator.  Anything else is either naiveté or class warfare that pits the owners against the workers or the rich against the middle class or poor.  This is foolish because how can a business run well if there is animus between the body and the heads/leadership? A house divided will not stand...even a house of business.  Money is neither good nor evil: it's and inanimate tool... So, follow it to the character of the one(s) using it.  There, you will find your answer...and as far as I know, I like Gate Petroleum and the services they provide.  Their business are clean, offer good products, reasonably priced. I am glad Durbin Pavillion opened near us and it is very convenient.  Would I want the Whole area to look like that?  Of course not.  But having good businesses in the area is essential...we just need to make sure we are implementing good Urban Planning in the area which has plenty of schools, green spaces, shopping, and safe housing districts with well-maintained roads and utilities (all provided by businesses I might add...business is not the enemy... Corruption, failing to treat others the way you want to be treated, even in business -that's the enemy).  And unless you can expose Gate as the dreaded example of businesses above, and not one of the good ones providing a good and necessary business  providing us goods and jobs in the area, then an $8000 donation is simply a detail that lets me know they think Whitehurst will do the best job.

This person wrote thousands of words of stuff like this.

heights unknown

• HEIGHTS UNKNOWN (HOT DAMMIT!) YES...SUPER TALLS!!!
    • FRESH START SOCIAL SERVICE AGENCY
Sounds like someone's trying to get the heat off him. Lot J is getting the crap beaten out of it in polls.

That aside, this is a nice donation, and I'm sure MOSH appreciates it.
Who wouldn't?
PLEASE FEEL FREE TO ACCESS MY PERSONAL FACEBOOK PAGE AT: https://www.facebook.com/garrybernardcoston.personal, or, access my Social Service Agency Facebook page if you love supporting charities/social entities at: https://www.facebook.com/FRESHSTARTSOCIALSERVICEAGENCY/; thank you!!!

Steve

• The Jaxson
Guys, what if MOSH put out these fancy renderings of a new Northbank facility in a bid to secure funds from Khan, only to produce a vastly scaled-back version of what was originally proposed on their current Southbank property?

Not seeing it. Khan is not the only donor. Yes $5M is material but there are many local leaders driving this one, including Brian Wolfberg (VyStar CEO). I think Khan definitely did this for some goodwill, but $5M is $5M-lets appreciate the donation but still give Lot J and his various renderings the scrutiny that they deserve.

tufsu1

Wouldn't be surprised if the MOSH board had Khan's pledge in hand when they voted to move.  If, indeed, MOSH is an asset along the river, it will benefit Khan's project as much as any* and he adds the "goodwill" of making a significant donation.  I hate being such a cynic, but I don't think much happens here based on altruism alone.  Sad to say and wish/hope I am wrong.  Let's see if Mr. Khan starts approaching the Weavers in expanding his generosity in his adopted City to get me thinking anew.

I will raise you - it seems entirely possible that Khan's interest was known before the relocation announcement was made....and that the donation was conditional on relocation to this area.