Author Topic: MOSH weighs relocating museum from its Southbank site in downtown Jacksonville  (Read 5390 times)

Charles Hunter

MOSH presented some preliminary renderings of their new museum at the Shipyards location, from The Coastal.  I can't tell whether this is the Bay Street or Riverwalk view.
https://thecoastal.com/culture/mosh-releases-conceptual-renderings-for-proposed-northbank-museum/

marcuscnelson

• Gen Z - Tired of the status quo
They said it was for illustrative purposes only, and that this design is absolutely not set in any way. I believe this is the Riverwalk view, they talked about a setback from the river.
So, to the young people fighting in this movement for change, here is my charge: march in the streets, protest, run for school committee or city council or the state legislature. And win. - Ed Markey

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
I don't mind it being set back and mixed into riverfront green space. It's the exact type of cultural attraction that any urban riverfront park worth visiting more than once, will need to anchor it.
"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.” - Muhammad Ali

Charles Hunter

Did the preentation say where on the Shipyards it will be?

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
Here's the presentation:

MOSH presents vision for Jacksonville's Northbank

On November 12th, representatives from the Museum of Science & History (MOSH) presented to the City of Jacksonville Downtown Investment Authority’s Strategic Implementation Committee. The presentation included a rendering, for illustrative purposes only, of their vision for MOSH Genesis — a destination for lifelong learning.

Read More: https://www.thejaxsonmag.com/article/mosh-presents-vision-for-jacksonvilles-northbank/
"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.” - Muhammad Ali

marcuscnelson

All the water-related stuff is interesting. Makes me wonder if they're trying to do some aquarium-type things without the heavy duty responsibilities of actually running an aquarium.

Also makes me wonder what those AquaJax guys are up to now.
So, to the young people fighting in this movement for change, here is my charge: march in the streets, protest, run for school committee or city council or the state legislature. And win. - Ed Markey

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
It would be interesting to see what the AquaJax opinions are. It does appear that they are trying to include some aquarium-type elements into the project.

Lostwave

From the presentation I saw it would be in the new met park on either side of hogans creek.  They left space for a museum on either or both sides of the creek. 

Ken_FSU

From the presentation I saw it would be in the new met park on either side of hogans creek.  They left space for a museum on either or both sides of the creek.

I don't mind it being set back and mixed into riverfront green space. It's the exact type of cultural attraction that any urban riverfront park worth visiting more than once, will need to anchor it.

From a remediation perspective, the setback probably makes the most sense too.

Based on the preliminary environmental study, depending on the size of the MOSH footprint, we could probably get around having to do much major remediation for museum/park use if the museum was to the east of Hogans Creek.

Florida Power And Light

MOSH Standing, presence:
 “Illustration Purposes Only”
« Last Edit: November 15, 2020, 09:04:45 PM by Florida Power And Light »

Charles Hunter

Based on the preliminary environmental study, depending on the size of the MOSH footprint, we could probably get around having to do much major remediation for museum/park use if the museum was to the east of Hogans Creek.

East of Hogan's Creek?  It is hard to read the map legend, but I think it says that dark blue is worse than light blue, and there is more dark blue east of the creek.  Also, part of the east parcel will be consumed by the new interchange between the truncated Hart Ramp to downtown, and Bay Street / A.P. Randolph Blvd.

Florida Power And Light

MOSH Standing, presence:
 “Illustration Purposes Only”

Ken_FSU

East of Hogan's Creek?

I'd make for a poor navigator.

*West of Hogan's Creek

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
The parcel directly south of Maxwell House would make most sense, based on the map above.

marcuscnelson

In which case, it looks like the parcels between the mouth of Hogan's Creek and the edge of Berkman 2 are essentially the new museum district.

Assuming you count this space in front of MOSH, the space between MOSH and the Orleck Museum, and all the nasty parts on the other side that will likely stay green-space, it seems reasonable enough to replace Met Park with. The biggest challenge I could imagine would be having to put down the infrastructure to functionally replace Met Park, which I imagine is at least part of what the NPS would ask for.