Author Topic: MOSH weighs relocating museum from its Southbank site in downtown Jacksonville  (Read 5610 times)

Steve

• The Jaxson
Well that escalated quickly.

Maybe there's some super developed plan that nobody has seen. I'll stand by for it.

Todd_Parker

Could MOSH re-brand the Shipyards soil remediation project as kind of a curated, live science exhibit thus making it available for federal scientific/educational grants? Perhaps for an extra fee, visitors could get their own hard hat and hazmat suit and help dig for compacted sludge.

CityLife

I grew up going to summer camps and sleepovers at MOSH and it holds a special place for me, but when I go there as an adult, it's depressing and dated. With the amount of money they are looking at spending, it's probably easier to start fresh at the Shipyards site than it is to completely repurpose the existing site. I think a new site provides a lot more opportunity to create special views and outdoor/event spaces along the waterfront. Not to mention better opportunities for ecotourism and celebrating the St. Johns. You could run kayak trips up Hogan's Creek and have interactive waterfront aquarium type exhibits. I've been saying for years that there is ZERO market/need for a large-scale standalone aquarium, but that there is a great opportunity to incorporate elements of an aquarium into MOSH. In fact, many science museums have an aquarium type component mixed in.

Moving MOSH to the Northbank gives Jax a chance to truly create something special. IF Lot J and some of the other planned projects on the Northbank happen, the City might have enough synergy and connectivity to start filling in the gaps and creating some vibrancy. 

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
Interesting. Wasn't expecting that announcement to come so quick. Now that it's out, what should be done with a existing MOSH building?

Repurpose for a new museum/attraction, blow it up and expand the park or blow it up for infill development?
"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.” - Muhammad Ali

Charles Hunter

Interesting. Wasn't expecting that announcement to come so quick. Now that it's out, what should be done with a existing MOSH building?

Repurpose for a new museum/attraction, blow it up and expand the park or blow it up for infill development?

This just in from the Mayor's Office: Blow it up and leave the rubble enclosed by a chain-link fence for 13 years, then begin a 2-year process to name a Special Committee to study potential uses for the site.

Ken_FSU

“The presentation of a new site option at the Shipyards property provides an exciting opportunity to reconsider how we will serve Northeast Florida’s citizens and visitors in the years ahead,” said Fafard.

The construction could begin in 2021, pending approval from the City of Jacksonville Capital Improvement Plan.

The funds for the new museum will come from the MOSH 2.0 capital campaign.

“The next iteration of MOSH will serve as a transformative center for science, innovation and humanities in Downtown. We welcome the support of businesses, philanthropists and foundations that share our passion for activating the riverfront, inspiring innovation, supporting critical workforce development and driving tourism to Downtown Jacksonville,” said Jill Davis, Chair of the MOSH 2.0 campaign cabinet.

MOSH wants to continue to build the momentum in downtown from the Northbank plans that has been growing during the Curry administration.
“For nearly 80 years, MOSH has inspired Jacksonville citizens of all ages to embrace the joy of lifelong learning. We applaud the Museum’s leaders for their commitment to Downtown and their bold, innovative vision for the future that will inspire generations and strengthen our reputation as a premier destination in the Southeastern United States,” said Lenny Curry, Mayor of the City of Jacksonville.

I'm not friendly with MOSH leadership, so I don't want to jump to conclusions, but the above paragraph sure makes this sound like a Hail Mary from the Mayor's office to fulfill it's promise of transforming the stretch of the Northbank between Berkman II and Met Park.

Is there money for MOSH in the current CIP?

If this is happening, it would be a fantastic goodwill gesture from the Jags to throw in some serious cash.

How easy would it be for Shad Khan to write a check for $10 million and present it to the MOSH to reinforce all that talk about how he's committed to the community and what's good for downtown is good for the Jags. I mean, if VyStar can throw in $2.5 million without a second thought...
« Last Edit: October 15, 2020, 02:24:15 PM by Ken_FSU »

Papa33

I'm hoping this is part of a strategic plan for the area and not just a random move with a lonely building in the middle of the shipyards.  I'm sure we'll get some details.  Surprised there was little or no community input (none made public, at least).

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities

I'm not friendly with MOSH leadership, so I don't want to jump to conclusions, but the above paragraph sure makes this sound like a Hail Mary from the Mayor's office to fulfill it's promise of transforming the stretch of the Northbank between Berkman II and Met Park.

Is there money for MOSH in the current CIP?

I believe there's $20 million in the CIP for a Northbank attraction. I assume its for MOSH.

There could be some good synergy created with the USS Orleck and the proposed relocation of Metropolitan Park. You're looking at a space that will be well above $100 million in construction costs though. A big conversation needs to take place with the future of the current MOSH space and the park next door. IMO, it would make sense to halt Friendship Fountain renovation until we figure out the future of the existing MOSH building.
"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.” - Muhammad Ali

marcuscnelson

• Gen Z - Tired of the status quo
I'm hoping this is part of a strategic plan for the area and not just a random move with a lonely building in the middle of the shipyards.

Get ready to be disappointed, then.

But seriously, it sure would be nice to actually see a master plan for what exactly is supposed to happen. I guess we're not supposed to expect that under Curry, but still…

There could be some good synergy created with the USS Orleck and the proposed relocation of Metropolitan Park. You're looking at a space that will be well above $100 million in construction costs though. A big conversation needs to take place with the future of the current MOSH space and the park next door. IMO, it would make sense to halt Friendship Fountain renovation until we figure out the future of the existing MOSH building.

The takeaway here is that we're likely going to spend $100m+ anyway, so we should actually really take a moment to think about how this should be done, and do it right. I hate the word "game changer," but this is one of those moments where you can lay the groundwork for something truly iconic and foundational if you take even a second to have a real plan. It might not be St. Petersburg, or Lakeland, but it could be something cool.

But, alas… Jacksonville.
So, to the young people fighting in this movement for change, here is my charge: march in the streets, protest, run for school committee or city council or the state legislature. And win. - Ed Markey

sandyshoes

Just for future consideration if they do reno the fountain, it might be nice to have the splash park nearby, like they had in the middle of The Landing, and I think there was also one at old Metro Park.  And some of those mist-cooled areas, like they had/have at the Zoo.  They could build an additional,  smaller 'waterworks' type building for maintenance, and maybe have a little oasis type place where you could get snow cones or fountain drinks. 
« Last Edit: October 15, 2020, 03:37:03 PM by sandyshoes »

Ken_FSU

Just for future consideration if they do reno the fountain, it might be nice to have the splash park nearby, like they had in the middle of The Landing, and I think there was also one at old Metro Park.  And some of those mist-cooled areas, like they had/have at the Zoo.  They could build an additional,  smaller 'waterworks' type building for maintenance, and maybe have a little oasis type place where you could get snow cones or fountain drinks.

I think you'll like the new design, if built.

It incorporates a lot of these features.

blizz01

Planetarium? 

itsfantastic1

I hope MOSH is able to expand their exhibit offerings as well as expand the history component (including the local and neglected stories) of the museum by relocating. I also hope the building is somewhat architecturally stunning, as opposed to a value-engineered glass box.

Personally, I think MOSH gets better synergy being on the Northbank near other attractions but considering their current neighbor is being upgraded now; this seems suspiciously timed as if someone/something else is already in mind for the MOSH site.

If only the city had a single, unified plan. Searching COJ Downtown Master plan yields like 5 different agencies plans. Also the timing of these things seem to happen too piecemeal to really build off one and other.

I guess technically the DIA could be considered a master downtown plan. https://downtownjacksonville.org/wp-content/uploads/2019/10/CRA-Plans.pdf But that has MOSH as part of integrating with Friendship Fountain. So we aren't following that.

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
They call the CRA plan the master plan but if it is, it's a bad one. That thing doesn't identify a site and implemention schedule for things that will drive private sector development like a convention center or revamp of JWJ Park. It also fails to identify visionary planning elements like streets that should be retail vs others that should be service. It also lacks a vision for an area like Ashley and Broad in LaVilla. It creates more questions about downtown's future than it resolves, IMO.

heights unknown

• HEIGHTS UNKNOWN (DAMMIT!)
    • FRESH START SOCIAL SERVICES
WOW. I was going to say leave it on the Southbank, and if they did move, how about the empty Landing property; but...this just eradicates everything else; hope it works out.
PLEASE FEEL FREE TO ACCESS MY PERSONAL FACEBOOK PAGE AT: https://www.facebook.com/garrybernardcoston.personal, or, access my Social Service Agency Facebook page if you love supporting charities/social entities at: https://www.facebook.com/FRESHSTARTSOCIALSERVICEAGENCY/; thank you!!!