Author Topic: Monthly parkers in downtown Jax garages could see a hike in rates  (Read 1230 times)

jaxlongtimer

Re: Monthly parkers in downtown Jax garages could see a hike in rates
« Reply #15 on: September 17, 2020, 06:05:31 PM »
Don't companies that employ people downtown subsidize their employees parking?  Vystar moved downtown bringing employees who never paid for parking before into a situation where I assume they now have to pay.  That seems like a heavy expense for the average employee... perhaps someone could explain the employer/employee parking situation downtown...

This is a result of a perversion of our income tax laws.  If you work in an area where paid parking is the norm, the IRS requires the employees to pay too or for the employer to tax them on the value of free or heavily subsidized parking or, alternatively, to be denied a tax deduction for its employee subsidy.  It's silly, as there is no such thing as a "free" parking space.  It cost something to build it no matter where it is.  This tax policy just further frustrates urban core development by raising the costs.

bl8jaxnative

« Reply #16 on: September 18, 2020, 04:20:43 PM »
You can't bike to work to downtown Jax safely unless you live in an adjacent neighborhood.

We need to get you out a bike.  You sound unreasonably scared of being on the road.

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #17 on: September 18, 2020, 04:36:35 PM »
I use my bikes quite often. Just not in environments where I'm being asked to risk my life by trusting our drivers to pay attention.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2020, 04:38:58 PM by thelakelander »
"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.” - Muhammad Ali

bl8jaxnative

« Reply #18 on: September 21, 2020, 11:00:47 AM »
Never had a problem.   To each their own, eh?

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #19 on: September 21, 2020, 11:43:32 AM »
^No, it's not a to each his own. We have crash data that we use in the field to verify issues that need improvement. There's a definite problem and it's just not Jax. With that said, we're working on it.
"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.” - Muhammad Ali