Author Topic: A weekend walk at the Jacksonville Landing site  (Read 3972 times)

marcuscnelson

• Gen Z - Tired of the status quo
Re: A weekend walk at the Jacksonville Landing site
« Reply #30 on: August 21, 2020, 11:17:37 PM »

Billion-dollar city and we can't take a decent photo.
So, to the young people fighting in this movement for change, here is my charge: march in the streets, protest, run for school committee or city council or the state legislature. And win. - Ed Markey

avonjax

« Reply #32 on: August 22, 2020, 01:41:24 PM »

All it needed was a pressure wash, some fresh paint, and Curry to drop the petty grudges and be a better partner to Sleiman.

I think it's really easy to speculatively envision the revitalization of the Landing posthumously, but I think  it's wildly optimistic and completely ignores the reality of the decline of indoor shopping malls, the prevalence of homeless people in the area, and the lack of draw to the building in recent years.

A pressure wash and a paint job wouldn't reopen the food court, or bring back the brewery, or refill the long-vacant retail spaces inside. It was a heavily dated building, and to date none of the Roush Festival Marketplaces stand or function as they did when they were built. Not one. To say that we, a sparsely populated mid-size city, would be the one to finally make the Landing shine like it did in the late 90's and early new millennium, is a dream and nothing more. Cherry-picking the best pics of a packed landing does not reflect the reality for 90+% of the time in the past decade or so.

It's a shame it wasn't reconfigured or better accommodated with the parking it deserved, but don't kid yourself in thinking that we had a gem that just needed a little polish to shine again like it did in the boom times.

Yep I agree. Better to have nothing for years except a vacant lot that will probably be crap when it's finally "redeveloped." Let's just tear down downtown and we call all be suburbanites. We could make dt the next landfill. Oh and we can spend millions more to acheive our dream. After a lifetime I have lost all enthusiam for DT.

PS. most of the other festival marketplaces WERE reused as something else. NOT demolished. We are pathetic. And our mayor is awful. There!

heights unknown

• HEIGHTS UNKNOWN (DAMMIT!)
    • FRESH START SOCIAL SERVICES
« Reply #33 on: August 22, 2020, 05:00:33 PM »
Taken to the woodshed. An additional $68k headed Sleiman's way....

https://www.jaxdailyrecord.com/article/city-seeking-final-settlement-with-jacksonville-landing-owner

Good. Wouldn't it be something if Sleiman came back and wanted to build something new on the property?

https://www.jaxdailyrecord.com/article/toney-sleiman-may-make-second-run-at-the-jacksonville-landing-site
Wow. I'll bet he does. If it's within city guidelines, etc., and what they want on the property. Boy, I guess I am a seer huh? I said that and then an article comes out with him thinking hard about it. I hope he does. IMO, he was dealt some bad cards and was treated unfairly. He was willing to build something new on the property anyway, and then that Miss Curry, and Khad Shan wrested it away from him, and I believe most of what they accused him of were lies and fabrications. What goes around comes around, and now Lot J and Met Park and Shipyards that Khad was going to develop is falling through. I'm pulling for Toney.
PLEASE FEEL FREE TO ACCESS MY PERSONAL FACEBOOK PAGE AT: https://www.facebook.com/garrybernardcoston.personal, or, access my Social Service Agency Facebook page if you love supporting charities/social entities at: https://www.facebook.com/FRESHSTARTSOCIALSERVICEAGENCY/; thank you!!!

heights unknown

« Reply #34 on: August 22, 2020, 05:04:36 PM »

All it needed was a pressure wash, some fresh paint, and Curry to drop the petty grudges and be a better partner to Sleiman.

I think it's really easy to speculatively envision the revitalization of the Landing posthumously, but I think  it's wildly optimistic and completely ignores the reality of the decline of indoor shopping malls, the prevalence of homeless people in the area, and the lack of draw to the building in recent years.

A pressure wash and a paint job wouldn't reopen the food court, or bring back the brewery, or refill the long-vacant retail spaces inside. It was a heavily dated building, and to date none of the Roush Festival Marketplaces stand or function as they did when they were built. Not one. To say that we, a sparsely populated mid-size city, would be the one to finally make the Landing shine like it did in the late 90's and early new millennium, is a dream and nothing more. Cherry-picking the best pics of a packed landing does not reflect the reality for 90+% of the time in the past decade or so.

It's a shame it wasn't reconfigured or better accommodated with the parking it deserved, but don't kid yourself in thinking that we had a gem that just needed a little polish to shine again like it did in the boom times.

Yep I agree. Better to have nothing for years except a vacant lot that will probably be crap when it's finally "redeveloped." Let's just tear down downtown and we call all be suburbanites. We could make dt the next landfill. Oh and we can spend millions more to acheive our dream. After a lifetime I have lost all enthusiam for DT.

PS. most of the other festival marketplaces WERE reused as something else. NOT demolished. We are pathetic. And our mayor is awful. There!

In all due respect, please don't lose enthusiasm and the potential that DT Jax has, but lose enthusiasm, support, etc. for our current City Government mainly that Mayor and all others around him. He's tearing our downtown apart. And yeah, if this keeps up, we'll have a DT with bombarded pot holes where buildings and skyscrapers used to be; STOP THE MADNESS!!!
PLEASE FEEL FREE TO ACCESS MY PERSONAL FACEBOOK PAGE AT: https://www.facebook.com/garrybernardcoston.personal, or, access my Social Service Agency Facebook page if you love supporting charities/social entities at: https://www.facebook.com/FRESHSTARTSOCIALSERVICEAGENCY/; thank you!!!

MusicMan

« Reply #35 on: August 23, 2020, 12:28:49 PM »
Drove through DT yesterday. It was grey, overcast. More depressing than usual. The human misery on display on the streets is a serious downer.

NOTHING going on.

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #36 on: August 23, 2020, 03:20:04 PM »
Nope. Just people online, in the media and at SJTC, talking about all the potential DT has, yet they're nowhere to be found close to the fresh sod of the newly created pedestrian hostile sites they wanted to see razed.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2020, 03:52:38 PM by thelakelander »
"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.” - Muhammad Ali

heights unknown

« Reply #37 on: August 23, 2020, 03:41:30 PM »
Drove through DT yesterday. It was grey, overcast. More depressing than usual. The human misery on display on the streets is a serious downer.

NOTHING going on.
Saturday should be the one day that people are milling about downtown, if not near Hemming, when the Landing was there, SOMETIHING was going on; DT was already suffering, but now that the Landing is gone, it's dying a sure death.

jaxlongtimer

« Reply #38 on: August 23, 2020, 09:22:11 PM »
Downtown takes another hit:

https://www.news4jax.com/news/local/2020/08/23/jacksonville-family-closing-doors-of-downtown-restaurant/

Sad to see but I don't know how any small business can make it Downtown over the long haul with the all the bad decisions the City makes about Downtown.  Now that COVID that has essentially closed down the main reason most people have to visit Downtown, offices, our theaters and sports venues, it has hit a new bottom.

My hats off to the optimists who always think that Downtown is about to take off at any moment but I don't see a basis for it with the City's poor management and a trending decline, now going on for the 75 years since WW II.  We have squandered decades given assets such as our climate, the river, our history and historic buildings, diversified economy, reasonably good road access (but traditionally lousy public transit), etc.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2020, 09:37:57 PM by jaxlongtimer »

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #39 on: September 22, 2020, 12:12:07 PM »
How many people did you see laying in the grass at the Landing site or dining at restaurants and shopping at retail on the surrounding streets? Did you spend any cash at the nice green site? This thing is a complete failure if the investment isn't stimulating economic development in the immediate vicinity.

I may be the freak but it is definitely because I'm living and seeing the reality of today and the decade to become. I really get tired of hearing about the positive of dead green space and the ability to look at empty buildings. It may be the reality of having an office across the street and seeing how the little foot traffic that was done there has disappeared. It may also be me knowing full damn well that despite the press releases and people's dreams of what it could be, none of that will happen for years. I'm totally fine with a downtown filled with energy, businesses, foot traffic and congested streets, no matter what the buildings look like.

In the end, it just didn't have to be this wasteful and time consuming way. It's seriously possible that we'll still be talking about what to do with this space a generation from now.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2020, 12:15:06 PM by thelakelander »
"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.” - Muhammad Ali

vicupstate

« Reply #40 on: September 22, 2020, 01:42:19 PM »
This would actually be an opportunity to gauge the success of an idea that was floated over a decade ago for this space.  Mayor Peyton suggested a Merry-Go-Round at the Landing and a Hot Dog Stand on the Main Street bridge.  There is plenty of room for both at the grass lawn now.

"The problem with quotes on the internet is you can never be certain they're authentic." - Abraham Lincoln

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #41 on: September 22, 2020, 01:57:42 PM »
LOL, we can move the fair or the rinky dink carnivals that set up in Regency's empty parking lot there. That will at least save taxpayers from paying for the Merry-Go-Round and Elephant Ear stands.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2020, 02:02:07 PM by thelakelander »

marcuscnelson

• Gen Z - Tired of the status quo
« Reply #42 on: September 22, 2020, 02:37:30 PM »
Iconic! Game-changer!
So, to the young people fighting in this movement for change, here is my charge: march in the streets, protest, run for school committee or city council or the state legislature. And win. - Ed Markey

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #43 on: September 22, 2020, 04:40:44 PM »
If it fails, it won't cost us anything. They'll pack up and drive off. The only negative would be that they'd take their porta-potties with them, leaving us with no public restrooms in the vicinity.

Florida Power And Light

« Reply #44 on: September 22, 2020, 09:19:08 PM »
It is a wonderful privilege to have outgrown Jacksonville and ever pandering euphoria over just around the corner “ Potential”.