Author Topic: A weekend walk at the Jacksonville Landing site  (Read 3963 times)

Ken_FSU

Re: A weekend walk at the Jacksonville Landing site
« Reply #45 on: September 23, 2020, 09:34:16 AM »
Despite the relative lack of activity in the northbank core, it’s funny, coming across the Main Street Bridge these last few mornings, I don’t think I’ve ever seen more cranes across the area. Between the Aetna apartments, FIS, the hospital, Coastline, and what appears to be bulkhead repairs on both sides of the bridge, there’s a lot of work going on.

Steve

• The Jaxson
« Reply #46 on: September 23, 2020, 11:13:20 AM »
Despite the relative lack of activity in the northbank core, it’s funny, coming across the Main Street Bridge these last few mornings, I don’t think I’ve ever seen more cranes across the area. Between the Aetna apartments, FIS, the hospital, Coastline, and what appears to be bulkhead repairs on both sides of the bridge, there’s a lot of work going on.

JEA crane I'd expect in a couple weeks too. I've noticed this as well as it's kinda funny. I expect very little of this work to improve the foot traffic in the downtown core, but there's definitely money being spent.

acme54321

« Reply #47 on: September 23, 2020, 12:13:43 PM »

Yep.  Noticed this too.  The work on both sides of the river are actually additional and repairs to the docks that were destroyed in Irma.  Funny how as soon as the landing comes down that starts 8)

Ken_FSU

« Reply #48 on: September 23, 2020, 01:04:48 PM »
Shame we can't get some outside developers driving through and seeing all the cranes.

They don't even need to know that the cranes are the result of:

1) Our public utility abandoning and likely demolishing their historic headquarters after downsizing to a smaller HQ three blocks away following a failed privatization now being investigated by Federal authorities.
2) Bulkhead repairs neglected for years in an effort to squeeze out and demolish downtown's largest urban retail center, which the city finally accomplished after a $20 million buyout before turning the mall into a grass field.
3) A four-year, $50 million project to knock a parking deck into the river to make way for a new convention center stick-frame apartments on property the city doesn't actually control.
4) A mid-rise apartment building mired in years of litigation.

marcuscnelson

• Gen Z - Tired of the status quo
« Reply #49 on: September 23, 2020, 02:08:41 PM »
Which one is #4 again?
So, to the young people fighting in this movement for change, here is my charge: march in the streets, protest, run for school committee or city council or the state legislature. And win. - Ed Markey

Ken_FSU

« Reply #50 on: September 23, 2020, 02:15:06 PM »
Which one is #4 again?

The Ventures apartments over by the Aetna building.

Approved at 300 units/13-floors by the DIA and DDRB.

Ventures was sued by the owners of the Aetna/Eight Forty One building because of the perceived negative impact the new building would have on its employees.

Finally under construction after the two groups reached terms on a building roughly half the size of the original proposal.

marcuscnelson

• Gen Z - Tired of the status quo
« Reply #51 on: September 23, 2020, 02:27:18 PM »
Oh, that one. Yeah, I remember them chopping off the top couple floors.

Didn't the company that owned the Aetna building sell it after they began making their case? Or am I remembering that wrong?
So, to the young people fighting in this movement for change, here is my charge: march in the streets, protest, run for school committee or city council or the state legislature. And win. - Ed Markey