Author Topic: Riverfront Parks Now for Jacksonville  (Read 1519 times)

MusicMan

Re: Riverfront Parks Now for Jacksonville
« Reply #15 on: August 01, 2020, 12:51:49 PM »
$100 million and we could have the greatest city park system in North America. Purchase ShipYards, The District, and The Landing sites and link them all with free river taxis! Very easy for a family/tourists to spend the day downtown circulating from park to park. This would not be hard to design, plan, or build.  Way better use of City $$ IMO than financing Shad Khan's proposals.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2020, 01:05:11 PM by MusicMan »

marcuscnelson

• Gen Z - Tired of the status quo
« Reply #16 on: August 01, 2020, 03:22:16 PM »
$100 million and we could have the greatest city park system in North America. Purchase ShipYards, The District, and The Landing sites and link them all with free river taxis! Very easy for a family/tourists to spend the day downtown circulating from park to park. This would not be hard to design, plan, or build.  Way better use of City $$ IMO than financing Shad Khan's proposals.

Mayor Curry called, we can't afford that.

Wait, he just called back, we're going to spend $20 million demolishing the JEA building, $20 million demolishing every building in LaVilla older than 1972, and $40 million building the Jaguars a lazy river.
So, to the young people fighting in this movement for change, here is my charge: march in the streets, protest, run for school committee or city council or the state legislature. And win. - Ed Markey

jaxjaguar

« Reply #17 on: August 01, 2020, 05:11:13 PM »
Speaking of budgets... When the Matthews and Hart inevitably collapse from negligence how are we going to afford replacements for them? Does that money come from the state? Does insurance cover not properly maintaining the infrastructure when things break?

MusicMan

« Reply #18 on: August 01, 2020, 05:20:00 PM »
Marcus,  As you know what is being proposed to be spent on Khan's fun little project is more than enough to improve ALL of downtown and truly create a City where people and developers will WANT to be. Not sure if it's possible at this point to turn the train around but I despise all of the plans around Lot J. It's unbelievably stupid IMO.

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #19 on: August 01, 2020, 05:44:06 PM »
Speaking of budgets... When the Matthews and Hart inevitably collapse from negligence how are we going to afford replacements for them? Does that money come from the state? Does insurance cover not properly maintaining the infrastructure when things break?

That will come from state money.
"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.” - Muhammad Ali

marcuscnelson

« Reply #20 on: August 01, 2020, 11:03:04 PM »
Marcus,  As you know what is being proposed to be spent on Khan's fun little project is more than enough to improve ALL of downtown and truly create a City where people and developers will WANT to be. Not sure if it's possible at this point to turn the train around but I despise all of the plans around Lot J. It's unbelievably stupid IMO.

I'm absolutely aware of that. One of the saddest thoughts I had is remembering that with the Jags, the project will inevitably get value-engineered to hell and back by the time it's done. We'll somehow have spent a quarter billion dollars on an indoor theater next to the outdoor theater and a parking garage, plus more grass fields.

Sometimes I wish I was Mayor of Jacksonville. Even if I couldn't accomplish the wildest dreams, I'd at least find some not-criminals to accomplish the basic fundamentals of attracting sustainable development, paving the roads and keeping the trains on time. But alas, if there is one thing I've learned in UF Student Government, it's that there are a surprising amount of people who have no interest in governing, but do so anyway.
So, to the young people fighting in this movement for change, here is my charge: march in the streets, protest, run for school committee or city council or the state legislature. And win. - Ed Markey

Ken_FSU

« Reply #21 on: August 02, 2020, 08:58:23 PM »

We've struggled to nail even a single large urban park in downtown Jacksonville.

I still think the Landing/Times-Union Center lawn/Friendship Park is where we should be focusing all of our efforts and resources in terms of riverfront greenspace.

Activate and program those three areas and you've got a really great start to a riverfront park system, connected for pedestrians by the Main Street Bridge, and surrounded by complementary uses.

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #22 on: August 02, 2020, 09:13:44 PM »
^I agree with Ken. Truly focusing in on those select areas and tossing in $100 million into them is what would be equivalent to starting to catch up with many of the established spaces included in the Riverfront Parks Now presentation. Consider tossing in another $100 million for public space improvements for anything related to the Shipyards and Metropolitan Park.
"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.” - Muhammad Ali

jaxjaguar

« Reply #23 on: August 04, 2020, 02:06:18 AM »
I still can't believe Friendship fountain hasn't run at full performance for the last 7-8 years after the massive renovation they did... In it's current state it's no different than an indoor mall fountain. Turn it back to 100% and replace the foliage around it that was getting damaged with some decorative solar power generating shade trees  ;D

marcuscnelson

« Reply #24 on: August 04, 2020, 01:05:50 PM »
I still can't believe Friendship fountain hasn't run at full performance for the last 7-8 years after the massive renovation they did... In it's current state it's no different than an indoor mall fountain.

Welcome to Jax!

Florida Power And Light

« Reply #25 on: August 05, 2020, 08:18:36 PM »
Assuming Southbank lands are still retractable,along with “ Shipyards” and that nice little Perfectly Situated Landing parcel,the “Public” owns significant Downtown Waterfront acreage.