Author Topic: DIA to consider development rights for Ashley Square senior apartments  (Read 632 times)

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
The Downtown Investment Authority will consider issuing development rights for Ashley Square, a 120-unit senior housing project in the Cathedral District.

The DIA board is scheduled to vote July 15 on allowing Tampa-based Blue Sky Communities LLC to proceed with the $15 million project to convert a 1.03-acre parking lot into 96 one-bedroom, 650-square-foot units and 24 two-bedroom, 900-square-foot units.

The project is a partnership with nonprofit Aging True Community Senior Services.

Full article: https://www.jaxdailyrecord.com/article/dia-to-consider-development-rights-for-ashley-square-senior-apartments
"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.” - Muhammad Ali

Steve

• The Jaxson
I'd love to see some retail somewhere in that area, but this project likely isn't the one. The design at street level isn't awful - it doesn't look like a parking garage in the renderings. I'll take it.

marcuscnelson

• Gen Z - Tired of the status quo
If anything, I'm surprised there's still private residential development happening at all. For it to be pretty decent looking is a bonus.
So, to the young people fighting in this movement for change, here is my charge: march in the streets, protest, run for school committee or city council or the state legislature. And win. - Ed Markey

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
I wonder if they were successful in getting federal money? I can't imagine them moving forward without it.
"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.” - Muhammad Ali

Bill Hoff

Going to take an educated guess and say that this project, like many others before it, relies on getting affordable housing tax credits, which is no guarantee. Would love to see it.

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
Yes, it relies on affordable housing tax credits. I was wondering if they have already been granted credits or still in the process of competing for them?

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
Re: DIA to consider development rights for Ashley Square senior apartments
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2020, 09:23:31 AM »
City issues permit for Ashley Square

Ashley Square can take shape in the Cathedral District Downtown.

The city issued a permit Nov. 12 for NEI General Contracting Inc. of Ocoee to build the 120-unit senior housing community at 650 N. Newnan St.

Blue Sky Communities of Tampa is the developer and PQH Group Design Inc. of Jacksonville is the architect for the 168,260-square-foot project for older adults.

https://www.jaxdailyrecord.com/article/city-issues-permit-for-ashley-square

marcuscnelson

• Gen Z - Tired of the status quo
Re: DIA to consider development rights for Ashley Square senior apartments
« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2020, 12:05:04 PM »
Totally forgot about this. Nice though.
So, to the young people fighting in this movement for change, here is my charge: march in the streets, protest, run for school committee or city council or the state legislature. And win. - Ed Markey