Author Topic: Demolition of Kartouche Building  (Read 4211 times)

MusicMan

Re: Demolition of Kartouche Building
« Reply #45 on: August 01, 2020, 12:28:21 PM »
Kartouche coming down today?  Can we filter through the debris for lumber? 

marcuscnelson

• Gen Z - Tired of the status quo
« Reply #46 on: August 01, 2020, 12:46:24 PM »
Seriously? We started talking about this less than a month ago, and it's already going down?

It's that easy to demolish a historic building in downtown Jacksonville? My God.
So, to the young people fighting in this movement for change, here is my charge: march in the streets, protest, run for school committee or city council or the state legislature. And win. - Ed Markey

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #47 on: August 01, 2020, 01:54:34 PM »

"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.” - Muhammad Ali

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #48 on: August 01, 2020, 01:57:10 PM »
Seriously? We started talking about this less than a month ago, and it's already going down?

It's that easy to demolish a historic building in downtown Jacksonville? My God.

Yes, it is insanely easy. Unfortunately, that's why parts of downtown look like a war zone today.
"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.” - Muhammad Ali

MusicMan

« Reply #49 on: August 01, 2020, 05:11:23 PM »
“A majority of that building is getting recycled,” Pfotenhauer said.

“There are lot of old wood timbers in that building that are getting recycled,” he said. Elev8 also will work to recycle the bricks."

Having just driven by the site, I beg to differ. The excavator was pulling some large individual timbers from the wreckage as I watched but it certainly appeared the vast majority of that place is going into the landfill.  And yes, bricks everywhere.

heights unknown

• HEIGHTS UNKNOWN (DAMMIT!)
    • FRESH START SOCIAL SERVICES
« Reply #50 on: August 01, 2020, 11:33:06 PM »
Amazing. Simply frickin amazing.
PLEASE FEEL FREE TO ACCESS MY PERSONAL FACEBOOK PAGE AT: https://www.facebook.com/garrybernardcoston.personal, or, access my Social Service Agency Facebook page if you love supporting charities/social entities at: https://www.facebook.com/FRESHSTARTSOCIALSERVICEAGENCY/; thank you!!!

bl8jaxnative

« Reply #51 on: August 03, 2020, 10:17:51 AM »
“A majority of that building is getting recycled,” Pfotenhauer said.

“There are lot of old wood timbers in that building that are getting recycled,” he said. Elev8 also will work to recycle the bricks."

Having just driven by the site, I beg to differ. The excavator was pulling some large individual timbers from the wreckage as I watched but it certainly appeared the vast majority of that place is going into the landfill.  And yes, bricks everywhere.

Most recycling ends up doing that so that would be par for course.

duvaltilidie

« Reply #52 on: August 05, 2020, 09:52:51 AM »
Just rode past this morning on the bike and saw the timbers sitting on the property.. here's a picture.

Bativac

« Reply #53 on: August 07, 2020, 03:59:57 AM »

Papa33

« Reply #54 on: August 07, 2020, 10:22:27 AM »
On a slightly related topic, was there any fallout from the demolition of the Greyhound Bus Station and its conversation into an unpermitted/unauthorized use as a parking lot?

Ken_FSU

« Reply #55 on: August 25, 2020, 04:08:23 PM »
https://www.jaxdailyrecord.com/article/dailys-developer-buys-downtown-lavilla-property-for-dollar3-3-million

Even if didn't necessitate the demolition of yet another historic building, this is still an unfortunate place to put a gas station.

Does the DDRB just shrug their shoulders and roll with it?

Are there any examples full-sized gas stations being well designed to complement and fit in with the surrounding urban fabric?

BridgeTroll

• Global Moderator
  • The average person thinks he isnt
    • London Bridge Pub
« Reply #56 on: August 25, 2020, 04:16:10 PM »
Is there any urban fabric left there? I see a lot of parking garages so someone will need gas and a squishy...
In a boat at sea one of the men began to bore a hole in the bottom of the boat. On being remonstrating with, he answered, "I am only boring under my own seat." "Yes," said his companions, "but when the sea rushes in we shall all be drowned with you."

pierre

« Reply #57 on: August 25, 2020, 05:09:22 PM »
https://www.jaxdailyrecord.com/article/dailys-developer-buys-downtown-lavilla-property-for-dollar3-3-million

Even if didn't necessitate the demolition of yet another historic building, this is still an unfortunate place to put a gas station.

Does the DDRB just shrug their shoulders and roll with it?

Are there any examples full-sized gas stations being well designed to complement and fit in with the surrounding urban fabric?

That picture is sad.

It looks like a war zone.

jaxlongtimer

« Reply #58 on: August 25, 2020, 05:26:41 PM »
Is there any urban fabric left there?

More and more, Downtown looks like a suburban office park with a few high rises accidentally thrown in  ;D

And with office parks like Flagler Center littered with multiple apartment complexes, even the residential component doesn't change things.

There really isn't much downtown left in our Downtown it seems.  Lots of grassy fields, surface lots, garages, suburban style office and apartment buildings, buildings with their backs turned to the streets, demolished historic buildings that had real character ...  and now, a suburban style gas station.  Take out the theaters and what's left?

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #59 on: August 25, 2020, 05:43:49 PM »
^Basically the core of the Northbank, the Cathedral District and a sliver of LaVilla around Broad and Ashley. It really is a shame. However, it does pinpoint where the biggest focus of downtown revitalization should be.