Author Topic: City tried to find new park to clear way for Shad Khan's Shipyards proposal  (Read 2689 times)

fieldafm

• Editor
I'm not even sure you're legally supposed to riding a bike on the riverwalk. It certainly doesn't meet the design criteria requirements for what would be considered a shared use path.

You used to not be able to ride a bike on the old wooden structure Southbank Riverwalk.  That policy was changed when the new concrete structure went it.... however to your point, the concrete structure was supposed to be about 6 feet wider than what we actually have now. Delays in bidding out the work, resulted in a rise of materials and construction costs, which in turn led to a much smaller structure and the ditching of many of the amenities (pavilions, seating and a viewing tower) that were originally proposed. This was one of the more regrettable missteps of the former Mayoral administration, in regards to Downtown.

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
Any idea on the width of the Northbank Riverwalk in front of the Landing's grave? I recall it being pretty narrow in there. A standard path is about 12' in width. If we're mixing bikes and pedestrians out on the riverwalk, it would ideal to be much wider than that.  Width isn't a problem when the place is empty but if downtown were vibrant, we'd have some serious pedestrian/bike conflict issues.
"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.” - Muhammad Ali

fieldafm

• Editor
Any idea on the width of the Northbank Riverwalk in front of the Landing's grave? I recall it being pretty narrow in there. A standard path is about 12' in width. If we're mixing bikes and pedestrians out on the riverwalk, it would ideal to be much wider than that.  Width isn't a problem when the place is empty but if downtown were vibrant, we'd have some serious pedestrian/bike conflict issues.

I doubt its more than 6 feet.

jaxjaguar

When I lived downtown the space infront of the Landing was the one spot I wouldn't take my bike. It's way too narrow even when it's not very crowded. I'd usually stick to the North Bank and start in front of the Times Union Center riding West into Riverside. The South bank was nice, but it felt really short in comparison and it's really disconnected since there's nothing to see or do along the way aside from the Sailor Statue and Friendship fountain.

bl8jaxnative

This core issue with fishing from riverwalk ain't space.  Too many fishers leave their junk behind.  It's the old a few bad apples ruin it for the rest.

This junk is discarded shells, hooks, bait, fishing lines, etc.  Stuff that you can't have lieing around in a high volume path.  People get hurt because of it.

That said, I was pretty disappointed with the city.  The installed a kayak launch.  They have yet to do what there's a clear demand for even dowtown, space for fishing. 

That can be accomplished with docks off a the riverwalk.  We already see a couple of those uses for exactly that from time to time.  It seperates the fishing from the high activity walking / jogging / biking space.

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
Yes, the easy solution would be to have designated zones for fishing. St. Pete just spent $92 million on a pier and was able to figure this out and work it into the design of their first class public space. However, significant public engagement was conducted during their planning process.

"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.” - Muhammad Ali

Tacachale

• Administrator
A pier is a must have for Downtown Jax. There should be other fishing areas too.
Do you believe that when the blue jay or another bird sings and the body is trembling, that is a signal that people are coming or something important is about to happen?

BridgeTroll

• Global Moderator
  • The average person thinks he isnt
    • London Bridge Pub
A pier is a must have for Downtown Jax. There should be other fishing areas too.

A fishing pier ( or three) is long overdue throughout the city...
In a boat at sea one of the men began to bore a hole in the bottom of the boat. On being remonstrating with, he answered, "I am only boring under my own seat." "Yes," said his companions, "but when the sea rushes in we shall all be drowned with you."

Steve

• The Jaxson
Curry is requesting the NPS Bill be withdrawn and Iguana is proposing "moving" Met Park to either side of Hogan's Creek:

https://www.jaxdailyrecord.com/article/curry-administration-to-withdraw-metropolitan-park-bill

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities

It looks like a better option and goes more along in line of what was envisioned for the site 20 years ago.

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
^With that said, it sucks to have an expressway interchange at A.Philip Randolph Boulevard and Bay, which appears will be a major entrance into this green space.

Steve

• The Jaxson
I would tend to agree - this location being closer to the core actually makes the difference of whether or not it's walkable from say Laura Street in my eyes.

Additionally, the development on the section between the park and Berkman, done right, can contribute to the environment with things like ground level restaurants visible both from the river and Bay Street, etc. There's also the option to RFP the parking lot across Bay that's COJ property.

Now all of that is wonderful but is there a recent term sheet for the Shipyards yet?

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
I wouldn't hold my breath.  This thing is years away from realistically breaking ground. Whatever happens with the Shipyards will be well after the current administration has moved on.

Ken_FSU

The shell game continues  ;D

Not holding my breath that anything happens in the next decade, but I do think this is a fantastic location for a park that's reasonably accessible for both the CBD/urban core and the sports complex.

Also saves the city a lot of money ($20 million+, I'd imagine) on remediating that section for mixed-use, as it's mega contaminated and has got to a real logistical challenge to clean versus that block to the left. If the city invests the cash they would have spent on remediating into a world-class greenspace instead, feels like a net win.

Curious, with all the talk about developing Met Park, are we certain it doesn't have the same level of contaminates as the Shipyards directly to its left? Does Met Park have any history of industrial use?

Charles Hunter

This MJ article from 2011 has a lot of photos of the area.  Pretty much all of the riverfront looks industrial in some way.
https://www.metrojacksonville.com/article/2011-jul-exploring-downtowns-commodore-point