Author Topic: Perseverance Mars Rover  (Read 1704 times)

BridgeTroll

• Global Moderator
  • The average person thinks he isnt
    • London Bridge Pub
Perseverance Mars Rover
« on: June 21, 2020, 08:30:43 AM »
I have followed and posted about the Mars rover program for years and am super excited about the launch of Perseverance in July.  Below is a link to a really good primer of the launch, entry, descent and landing, landing site, instrumentation.

Jezero crater appears to be a ancient flood plain with clear and obvious former water channels. One of the most exciting instruments is a helicopter with flights up to 15 feet high, 60 feet in distance and 90 seconds in duration.

Please take a few minutes and click the link below to learn more...  8)

https://www.popularmechanics.com/space/moon-mars/a32894671/nasa-perserverance-rover-2020/
In a boat at sea one of the men began to bore a hole in the bottom of the boat. On being remonstrating with, he answered, "I am only boring under my own seat." "Yes," said his companions, "but when the sea rushes in we shall all be drowned with you."

Charles Hunter

Re: Perseverance Mars Rover
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2020, 09:07:08 AM »
Very cool!  Looking forward to new discoveries.

BridgeTroll

• Global Moderator
    • London Bridge Pub
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2020, 10:30:52 AM »
« Last Edit: June 21, 2020, 10:34:35 AM by BridgeTroll »
In a boat at sea one of the men began to bore a hole in the bottom of the boat. On being remonstrating with, he answered, "I am only boring under my own seat." "Yes," said his companions, "but when the sea rushes in we shall all be drowned with you."

Charles Hunter

« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2020, 12:01:30 PM »
I watched the helicopter deployment video, and have a question.
It shows the protective panel dropping, then the 'copter being flipped over and dropped to the surface. Does that rotation move the helicopter out from under the lander? Otherwise, it would drop on that cowling, and taking off would be harder.

BridgeTroll

• Global Moderator
    • London Bridge Pub
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2020, 02:11:05 PM »
Good question. I don’t know but the copter is supposed to fly multiple times so my guess is it reloads onto the rover

BridgeTroll

• Global Moderator
    • London Bridge Pub
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2020, 07:01:33 AM »
Good question. I don’t know but the copter is supposed to fly multiple times so my guess is it reloads onto the rover

It flies multiple times but does not come back to the rover.   Great article describing the research and testing of the helicopter...

https://dnyuz.com/2020/06/23/nasa-mars-helicopter-will-be-red-planets-wright-brothers-moment/

BridgeTroll

• Global Moderator
    • London Bridge Pub

marcuscnelson

• Gen Z - Tired of the status quo
« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2020, 10:03:50 AM »
Damn. As long as it helps them get it right.
So, to the young people fighting in this movement for change, here is my charge: march in the streets, protest, run for school committee or city council or the state legislature. And win. - Ed Markey

BridgeTroll

• Global Moderator
    • London Bridge Pub

BridgeTroll

• Global Moderator
    • London Bridge Pub
« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2020, 06:29:29 PM »
Great video comparing previous rovers and their capabilities with Perseverance...  8)

https://youtu.be/95hMM2u6Fgw

BridgeTroll

• Global Moderator
    • London Bridge Pub
« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2020, 02:50:48 PM »

BridgeTroll

• Global Moderator
    • London Bridge Pub
« Reply #11 on: July 27, 2020, 07:57:13 AM »
The Chinese launch was successful... Perseverance due to launch July 30. The link contains a great description of the Chinese mission...

https://spaceflightnow.com/2020/07/23/china-launches-robotic-mission-to-orbit-land-and-drive-on-mars/

BridgeTroll

• Global Moderator
    • London Bridge Pub
« Reply #12 on: July 28, 2020, 08:02:49 AM »

JeffreyS

• Demand Evidence and Think Critically.
« Reply #13 on: July 28, 2020, 10:32:18 AM »
I am guessing a second mission helps with getting the samples back to earth? Am I reading the sample collection goals correct? Very exciting mission.
Lenny Smash

BridgeTroll

• Global Moderator
    • London Bridge Pub
« Reply #14 on: July 28, 2020, 05:00:24 PM »
I am guessing a second mission helps with getting the samples back to earth? Am I reading the sample collection goals correct? Very exciting mission.

My excitement is  for the helicopter... wayyyyy too cool...