Author Topic: Neighborhoods: Grand Park  (Read 554 times)

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
Neighborhoods: Grand Park
« on: June 15, 2020, 08:30:13 AM »

A virtual tour of a Northside neighborhood originally intended to serve as a suburb for railroad workers and industry: Grand Park

Read More: https://www.thejaxsonmag.com/article/neighborhoods-grand-park/
"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.” - Muhammad Ali

Steve

• The Jaxson
Re: Neighborhoods: Grand Park
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2020, 09:51:19 AM »
Cool Tour. A couple questions:

- How much did the drainage infrastructure work done in the 1990's help?
 - It seems like there's an opportunity to turn dead end roads at railroad crossings into parks. You'd have to fence it well so kids can't access the tracks, but it seems like this would be pretty easy to do. It doesn't have to be a marquee park, but should have some active use like playgrounds and such. The train noise isn't ideal, but in a manner of speaking the neighborhood grew up around the rails there so it isn't entirely out of place.
 - In the picture you show was is basically a large drainage ditch. Any idea how much that cost to do? In comparison, if you covered the drainage and did some sort of park/Emerald Trail tie-in, how much would that cost? (Trying to get an idea of the cost difference).  It seems like there are a ton of positives - parkland, less of a mosquito breeding ground, certainly nicer for the neighborhood.

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2020, 10:30:33 AM »
It costs millions and helped tremendously but a lot more could be done. I find Moncrief Creek (the channelized canal...like McCoys and Hogans) quite an opportunity. No doubt in my mind that to address NW Jax drainage and flood infrastructure problems, COJ will have to deal with this creek and others like it.

It ties several neighborhoods together and one proposed Emerald Trail corridor runs two blocks east of it. When that discussion takes place about finally funding long overdue projects throughout NW Jax, these are publicly owned corridors that should definitely be converted into linear recreational spaces that also address stormwater. Houston and San Antonio are two great examples of Sunbelt cities that have addressed their stormwater problems in a similar manner.

"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.” - Muhammad Ali

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2020, 10:36:47 AM »
- It seems like there's an opportunity to turn dead end roads at railroad crossings into parks. You'd have to fence it well so kids can't access the tracks, but it seems like this would be pretty easy to do. It doesn't have to be a marquee park, but should have some active use like playgrounds and such. The train noise isn't ideal, but in a manner of speaking the neighborhood grew up around the rails there so it isn't entirely out of place.

The way I see it, this is sort of like a slice of the Midwest in Florida. The neighborhood is here because of the railyard and the railyard is still in operation. Seems like you'd have opportunity to create spaces for those who like to rail watch and many of the old industrial buildings could lend themselves well to Seattle Gas Works Park type opportunities.

bl8jaxnative

« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2020, 10:42:23 AM »
I'm not sure there's much to be with those dead ends along the tracks.  Not much room for a park.  And in an area that's losing population along with residential units, not sure there's a need for more. 

There isn't much space to work with in these places for that.

https://www.mapillary.com/app/?lat=30.350177777777787&lng=-81.70491666666669&z=17&pKey=TAN6gRproqOKz1nxEysyyQ&focus=photo&x=0.5159673106877539&y=0.6738858344558809&zoom=0

Then again, there may be some use in some other spots.   This neighborhood is totally lacking a park

https://www.mapillary.com/app/?lat=30.34230333932007&lng=-81.69265570110088&z=16.220628554124804&pKey=7FFotWoV-SIrwzMp8hTKIA&focus=map&x=0.49117980955597573&y=0.577030547663243&zoom=0

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2020, 10:53:55 AM »
An expansion of Ryder Park may be an opportunity.

You can see the small park is adjacent to some ponds already done as a part of a previous stormwater infrastructure project and an abandoned area of the old Ryder Truck Lines terminal. You can also see a portion of Moncrief Creek on the other side of the truck terminal.

Steve

• The Jaxson
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2020, 12:18:42 PM »
Good idea. I feel like good parks are a great opportunity to invest in our neighborhoods (along with the non-sexy stuff line modern drainage and utilities). I realize the neighborhood population has declined but I feel like you have to start somewhere, especially with neighborhoods that have truly been screwed over for decades on basic infrastructure.

I didn't connect the drainage picture was actually Moncrief Creek - now I'm understanding. Yes, it absolutely seems line a missed opportunity to take advantage of this. This really is something we should do all over the city with storm water planning. Look, it rains here. A lot. We have a low water table. This is a problem that will NEVER go away. So long as we actually have to deal with this, we might as well make these places multi-use resources for the community.

MusicMan

« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2020, 01:18:36 PM »
I saw on the news some tremendous flooding (last week) along McCoys Creek over around Tabula Rasa Brewery. Was that because of a localized downpour or just really poor drainage?

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2020, 02:03:34 PM »
Both but it should be resolved with the $60 million restoration of McCoys Creek.

Peter Griffin

« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2020, 02:04:14 PM »
There's been a lot of unprecedented downpours lately. I have a friend who lives near Cassat/I-10 and he said Cassat was closed at some point last week, I personally saw Post St in Riverside flooded so bad that it got the clutch wet in my car. Drainage can only keep up so much with a storm which exceeds the system's design capacity

MusicMan

« Reply #10 on: June 15, 2020, 03:52:23 PM »
"Both but it should be resolved with the $60 million restoration of McCoys Creek."

Please remind me of the timeline on that project. Has it started yet?

Also, aren't they dredging the creek that goes under St Johns Ave and Herschel Street in St Johns Park/Avondale?  At Harpoon Louie's? I was showing a house right there (on Geraldine) that has the creek in the back yard and the listing agent said it would be 5-6 feet deep after the project.

" Drainage can only keep up so much with a storm which exceeds the system's design capacity"

Absolutely. It is my personal hope that any future infrastructure project (as Trump has hinted at)  includes clean up and maintenance of our drainage system. It desperately needs it but is probably not seen by most folks as "infrastructure."
« Last Edit: June 15, 2020, 05:13:05 PM by MusicMan »

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #11 on: June 15, 2020, 05:27:13 PM »
The $60 million is allocated over a three period. So assuming construction starts within the next FY and things remain on schedule, then completion would probably be around 2023-24.