Author Topic: The city to sod Jacksonville Landing site  (Read 7260 times)

heights unknown

• HEIGHTS UNKNOWN (HOT DAMMIT!) YES...SUPER TALLS!!!
    • FRESH START SOCIAL SERVICE AGENCY
Re: The city to sod Jacksonville Landing site
« Reply #30 on: May 13, 2020, 08:11:43 AM »
I know most of you are going to chuckle, or even get cracked ribs from reading what I am about to say...….but here goes: Unless they build a 60 story, 900 or more foot skyscraper on that piece of land/parcel, ensuring that it doesn't block BOA or the Wells Fargo building, I will not be completely happy. Minimum? 20 stories 350 feet or more. Now if they build something similar to the landing, but with residential and office included, THAT will also make me happy. Otherwise, THEY need to take a hike!
PLEASE FEEL FREE TO ACCESS MY PERSONAL FACEBOOK PAGE AT: https://www.facebook.com/garrybernardcoston.personal, or, access my Social Service Agency Facebook page if you love supporting charities/social entities at: https://www.facebook.com/FRESHSTARTSOCIALSERVICEAGENCY/; thank you!!!

heights unknown

• HEIGHTS UNKNOWN (HOT DAMMIT!) YES...SUPER TALLS!!!
    • FRESH START SOCIAL SERVICE AGENCY
« Reply #31 on: May 13, 2020, 08:17:51 AM »
It just makes me sick watching commercials of downtown Tampa with all of those cranes, (I live 50 miles south of Tampa but will be moving to North Florida soon, possibly back to Jax), and NOTHING in downtown Jax...NOTHING (almost). They (Tampa downtown), are constructing a tower taller than BOA on the Hillsborough River (another one slightly shorter but possibly taller than BOA I think has been approved). If I win the lottery, I will build a decent skyscraper in downtown Jax. No plans at present as to what it will be, etc., but just like Curry, demolish it and it is gone, I will build it and hopefully they will come. Tired of seeing a naked skyline.
PLEASE FEEL FREE TO ACCESS MY PERSONAL FACEBOOK PAGE AT: https://www.facebook.com/garrybernardcoston.personal, or, access my Social Service Agency Facebook page if you love supporting charities/social entities at: https://www.facebook.com/FRESHSTARTSOCIALSERVICEAGENCY/; thank you!!!

avonjax

« Reply #32 on: May 13, 2020, 06:17:44 PM »
As I have said here recently, Lenny Curry will be considered the WORST mayor in recent Jacksonville history. If anyone believes these sites won't be sitting empty in 3 years are nuts. He will be out of office and we will have more lawns. The only part of DT that I even care about now is Brooklyn and that's because at least something is going on. Other than that, at least for now, I have NO interest in Jacksonville. I'm sorry I have to live here. Twenty years ago I had high hopes. Now I have none. Who wants to take bets on how long the Doro site will be an empty lot? It's very sad for me.

Snaketoz

« Reply #33 on: May 13, 2020, 08:16:03 PM »
Lenny Curry IS the worst mayor ever.  He will leave Jacksonville's downtown emptier than when he came in.  I'm pissed.  Not only at Curry, but at all the yahoos that didn't vote, or those who elected him not once, but twice.  We lost the courthouse, city hall, the Landing, almost JEA, and any cred we had.  It will take a lot to get back to square one.  We are much like the Jaguars.  Every time we turn around we are needing a complete rebuild.  We need video of cranes in the skyline, not implosions.

acme54321

« Reply #34 on: May 13, 2020, 09:44:24 PM »
I don't know man, my now 3.5 year old still talks about that implosion at least once a month.  He wants to blow up another building!

bl8jaxnative

« Reply #35 on: May 14, 2020, 11:41:16 AM »
Who wants to take bets on how long the Doro site will be an empty lot? It's very sad for me.

We just blew up our economy.  A lot of lots and a lot of buildings are going to be empty for a long time.

I'd encourage folks to focus on things that are working and build off of those.  JAX may not have the sort of downtown urbanistas dream about.  But it does have a lot of great neighborhoods.   What can be done to build off of that?

Think of it like Walmart.  They know their customer service is mediocre.  They know their store ain't pretty.  They're okay with that.  They just keep focusing on what they're doing well. 

Captain Zissou

« Reply #36 on: May 14, 2020, 12:21:05 PM »
ProjectMaximus: you and Andy Yi need to rent out the courthouse space and the landing for an ultimate tournament.  It could be epic if the city lets you paint the grass.  They could say that they have multiple institutional investors who have shown "considerable interest" who may walk if the grass has white lines on it.

fieldafm

• Editor
« Reply #37 on: May 14, 2020, 12:29:08 PM »
Who wants to take bets on how long the Doro site will be an empty lot? It's very sad for me.

We just blew up our economy.  A lot of lots and a lot of buildings are going to be empty for a long time.

I'd encourage folks to focus on things that are working and build off of those.  JAX may not have the sort of downtown urbanistas dream about.  But it does have a lot of great neighborhoods.   What can be done to build off of that?

Think of it like Walmart.  They know their customer service is mediocre.  They know their store ain't pretty.  They're okay with that.  They just keep focusing on what they're doing well.

We've done a really great job with a mediocre Downtown that isn't pretty.

You are posting on a message board full of people that aren't ok with that. Maybe you should meander on over to ImOkWithMediocreCities.com or KeepJaxApathetic.com.  There's an app for the Apathetic site, but it never really got uploaded to the Apple store.  I mean, who cares, right?
« Last Edit: May 14, 2020, 12:33:49 PM by fieldafm »

ProjectMaximus

• Firewalking Journey
« Reply #38 on: May 16, 2020, 10:32:45 AM »
ProjectMaximus: you and Andy Yi need to rent out the courthouse space and the landing for an ultimate tournament.  It could be epic if the city lets you paint the grass.  They could say that they have multiple institutional investors who have shown "considerable interest" who may walk if the grass has white lines on it.

Touch Rugby! Not Ultimate. You got your obscure developing sports confused lol. Although I do love ultimate as well, but Andy would really be offended.

By the way, if we are dreaming of things, can we do this? Floating rugby field on a barge, like the rugby sevens World Cup in SF two years ago?

https://sfgiants.mlblogs.com/giants-host-inaugural-rugby-night-fee8b9e21d68

avonjax

« Reply #39 on: May 17, 2020, 01:13:05 PM »
I don't know man, my now 3.5 year old still talks about that implosion at least once a month.  He wants to blow up another building!

Don't worry JEA wants to demolish the building they are in now. Surely an implosion. And built a pathetic little nothing for their new headquarters. Sorry Jaxsons we are lost for our lifetime at least.

avonjax

« Reply #40 on: May 17, 2020, 01:14:22 PM »

Neighborhoods outside DT do not make a great city no matter how hard you try to spin it. Maybe a great suburb.

avonjax

« Reply #41 on: May 17, 2020, 01:16:45 PM »

And WE didn't blow up the economy and Jacksonville's downturn started before the economy went south from the virus. It's the "icing on the cake" of terrible decision makers who are absolutely clueless.

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #42 on: May 17, 2020, 01:37:12 PM »

Don't worry JEA wants to demolish the building they are in now. Surely an implosion. And built a pathetic little nothing for their new headquarters. Sorry Jaxsons we are lost for our lifetime at least.

Got to fight to landmark the Universal Marion building. It likely meets 6 of the 7 criteria.  The renovation costs ($65 to $78 million) the JEA board keep quoting need to be put into perspective. What Ryan is planning to build for JEA is significantly higher per square foot than renovating the existing building is. The current building just happens to be double the size.   To put it in perspective, it's roughly the same size as the proposed FIS headquarters in Brooklyn. However the price tag on the FIS project is $145 million.  If the Universal Marion building is in a condition where it really needs to be razed, JEA would not be in it right now. Time for Jax to get smart and landmark the building now, to end the demo before it gets too far to stop a year or two from now.
"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.” - Muhammad Ali

Ken_FSU

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #44 on: June 25, 2020, 08:37:44 AM »
LOL!!!!!! Only in Jax ;D
"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.” - Muhammad Ali