Author Topic: Berkman Getting Close....Again  (Read 8966 times)

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
Re: Berkman Getting Close....Again
« Reply #16 on: September 10, 2020, 07:54:40 AM »
This is one of those, we'll see ones. I can see a stick frame development on this site but have my doubts on if there's a real market for high rise residential construction currently. Hopefully it works out.
"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.” - Muhammad Ali

Steve

• The Jaxson
« Reply #17 on: September 10, 2020, 09:16:07 AM »
The rendering doesn't make any sense. It's showing an L shaped property, which the Berkman II property is not.

The property doesn't stick out into the river until you get to almost Hogan's Creek, which is about 3 blocks East of Berkman. Even if their just trying to show art to make it pretty the land doesn't stick out there.

That makes me think this is HIGHLY conceptual. I'm much more exited about the Sifakas plans if for no other reason I think they'll happen.

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #18 on: September 10, 2020, 09:58:59 AM »
I think that rendering takes some artistic liberties with the shipyards site next door. The L-shape comes from the artist showing the submerged portion of the Shipyards parcel being filled in with a make believe building sitting on it. Nevertheless, I agree that what is show is HIGHLY conceptual.
"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.” - Muhammad Ali

marcuscnelson

• Gen Z - Tired of the status quo
« Reply #19 on: September 10, 2020, 11:11:15 AM »
I thought I was crazy or something with how little sense that rendering made.
So, to the young people fighting in this movement for change, here is my charge: march in the streets, protest, run for school committee or city council or the state legislature. And win. - Ed Markey

downtownbrown

« Reply #20 on: September 10, 2020, 11:15:06 AM »
It looks like the rendering assumes the city is going to give some land up.  I think that has been the case with the earlier concepts when more space for parking was in the conversation.  Regardless, the whole thing is "conceptual" until somebody signs a contract.

Steve

• The Jaxson
« Reply #21 on: September 10, 2020, 01:38:28 PM »
To me I don't even understand the logic in putting out a rendering that shows reclaimed river land. I mean, with all of the vacant lots downtown, there's no way it's economical to fill in the river to build something. Especially when there's a COJ owned surface parking lot ACROSS THE STREET

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #22 on: September 10, 2020, 01:55:39 PM »
Oh I agree but I doubt who ever did the rendering put much thought into the feasibility of that part.

jaxlongtimer

« Reply #23 on: September 10, 2020, 02:25:55 PM »
The rendering doesn't make any sense. It's showing an L shaped property, which the Berkman II property is not.

The property doesn't stick out into the river until you get to almost Hogan's Creek, which is about 3 blocks East of Berkman. Even if their just trying to show art to make it pretty the land doesn't stick out there.

That makes me think this is HIGHLY conceptual. I'm much more exited about the Sifakas plans if for no other reason I think they'll happen.

They say they will tear down the existing unfinished structure and start over.  In viewing the concept drawing, it looks to me like the actual structure on the demolished site parallels Bay Street, not that it sticks out into the river (note the stadium rendering in the distance).  The part "behind" the building that does project into river as apparent "green space" appears to be part of the will-it-ever-happen Shipyards project.  That's another story  8)!

Beeler said the group intends to demolish the property, which has sat unfinished on the Downtown Northbank of the St. Johns River for nearly 13 years.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2020, 02:59:37 PM by jaxlongtimer »

downtownbrown

« Reply #24 on: September 10, 2020, 02:34:21 PM »
you are correct

downtownbrown

« Reply #25 on: September 10, 2020, 02:36:11 PM »
the more I look at it the more it looks like the existing footprint. 

marcuscnelson

• Gen Z - Tired of the status quo
« Reply #26 on: September 10, 2020, 02:44:29 PM »
Apparently KBJ provided the renderings.

And wait, so everything behind the tall building is actually the Shipyards? Weird why they'd even include it in there.
So, to the young people fighting in this movement for change, here is my charge: march in the streets, protest, run for school committee or city council or the state legislature. And win. - Ed Markey

Florida Power And Light

« Reply #27 on: September 10, 2020, 09:37:13 PM »
It looks like the rendering assumes the city is going to give some land up.  I think that has been the case with the earlier concepts when more space for parking was in the conversation.  Regardless, the whole thing is "conceptual" until somebody signs a contract.

Gosh, just think...... not too long ago the citizens of Jacksonville owned near 100 acres public waterfront.

heights unknown

• HEIGHTS UNKNOWN (DAMMIT!)
    • FRESH START SOCIAL SERVICES
PLEASE FEEL FREE TO ACCESS MY PERSONAL FACEBOOK PAGE AT: https://www.facebook.com/garrybernardcoston.personal, or, access my Social Service Agency Facebook page if you love supporting charities/social entities at: https://www.facebook.com/FRESHSTARTSOCIALSERVICEAGENCY/; thank you!!!

heights unknown

• HEIGHTS UNKNOWN (DAMMIT!)
    • FRESH START SOCIAL SERVICES
« Reply #29 on: September 11, 2020, 02:03:26 PM »

I agree; and...the conception or rendering is so "un-Jacksonville" like; but...if it comes to fruition, I will take it.
PLEASE FEEL FREE TO ACCESS MY PERSONAL FACEBOOK PAGE AT: https://www.facebook.com/garrybernardcoston.personal, or, access my Social Service Agency Facebook page if you love supporting charities/social entities at: https://www.facebook.com/FRESHSTARTSOCIALSERVICEAGENCY/; thank you!!!