Author Topic: San Francisco  (Read 3908 times)

MusicMan

Re: San Francisco
« Reply #15 on: February 29, 2020, 11:34:12 AM »
You guys are totally wrecking the conservative narrative it's a Hell Hole for homeless bums and queer freaks.

I-10east

« Reply #16 on: February 29, 2020, 03:19:15 PM »
This guy is an anarchist, wayyyyy on the left end of the spectrum; Absolutely hates Trump etc (I like him because he tells the truth about many things, unlike the MSM) but muh only 'fascist' conservatives notice San Fran's woes...  ;D ;D ;D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oCXfJQ0yS8Y

Adam White

• Facebook
« Reply #17 on: February 29, 2020, 03:47:06 PM »
This guy is an anarchist, wayyyyy on the left end of the spectrum; Absolutely hates Trump etc (I like him because he tells the truth about many things, unlike the MSM) but muh only 'fascist' conservatives notice San Fran's woes...  ;D ;D ;D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oCXfJQ0yS8Y

“If you're going to play it out of tune, then play it out of tune properly.”

I-10east

« Reply #18 on: February 29, 2020, 03:52:27 PM »
^^^ ;D ;D ;D

BridgeTroll

• Global Moderator
  • The average person thinks he isnt
    • London Bridge Pub
« Reply #19 on: March 01, 2020, 10:21:08 AM »
You guys are totally wrecking the conservative narrative it's a Hell Hole for homeless bums and queer freaks.
I don't think anyone here has referred to SF as a "hellhole"... those are your words... What I said is it is no longer what it once was.  Having lived in the area for nearly 10 years (80's-90's) and visited recently it has gone downhill... a shabby (my view) of what it was... I'm certain NRW will have a great time... plenty to do and see... and eat.  But... for me... I have no reason or desire to go again...
In a boat at sea one of the men began to bore a hole in the bottom of the boat. On being remonstrating with, he answered, "I am only boring under my own seat." "Yes," said his companions, "but when the sea rushes in we shall all be drowned with you."

Non-RedNeck Westsider

• Politically Agnostic
« Reply #20 on: March 01, 2020, 12:22:11 PM »
There's a lot of places that aren't what I remember them being, so why waste the time and energy to go back - I don't blame you at all. 

Honestly, the politics of an area rank up about as high on my list of concerns as how many McDonald's they have.  (Personal note:  I don't eat at McDonalds) 

A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.
-Douglas Adams

simms3

• Time has come
« Reply #21 on: March 01, 2020, 06:01:48 PM »
I just moved back to Jax after living there for 7 years (in the city).  I'm feeling kind of lazy so I don't feel like adding to what others have already stated, but if you want an insider take, I'm still only a few months FOB from that place.  Just DM me.
Bothering locals and trolling boards since 2005

I-10east

« Reply #22 on: March 01, 2020, 11:35:57 PM »
I just don't know how something could be some mass smear campaign of propaganda when it's all reported on the San Francisco Bay area local news; I probably could link 10 to 15 SF area local news videos all talking about the problems of San Fran. Go to youtube and type in 'San Francisco homeless' or 'San Francisco poop' and a seemingly endless amount of videos would flood that search (content creators, local and national news).

Just like people fleeing the states of Illinois and California, those stories are all over the local newses respectively. You can't hide something when it's on the local news in that city...I bet that if a similar to scale problems hit Jax, many would be hypocritical and rightfully ream Jax, but just because SF is an iconic international city, gotta play nice...Well I'm not gotta sugarcoat a multitude of problems with any city (esp problems escalated to the amount of San Fran's).

fieldafm

• Editor
« Reply #23 on: March 02, 2020, 08:56:00 AM »

Umm, ok?

San Francisco has a homeless problem that makes Downtown Jax look like a paradise.

MusicMan

« Reply #24 on: March 02, 2020, 09:21:19 AM »
Not sure FLEEING is the correct word: 

A bit about California population trends. It's more complicated....

From the LA Times Dec 21 2019:

The Golden State remains stuck in the slow lane when it comes to population.

The number of Californians increased to 39.96 million, with new data from the Department of Finance showing mostly downward trends.

They are rooted in fewer births, coupled with increased deaths among an aging population. The Golden State, however, has also seen changes in international migration, along with more and more residents leaving the state.

The estimates, which indicate that California’s population grew by 141,300 people between July 1, 2018, and July 1, 2019, nonetheless signal a 0.35% growth rate, “down from 0.57% for the prior 12 months — the two lowest recorded growth rates since 1900,” department officials underscored.

ADVERTISING

According to the agency, natural increase (with 452,200 births and 271,400 deaths) accounted for an additional 180,800 people to the state. Still, these gains were offset by losses in net migration — that is, the total amount of people moving into the state minus the total amount of people moving out. Notably, said Eddie Hunsinger, a demographer with the Department of Finance, even though the net international migration added to the state’s population, there was substantial negative domestic net migration, which resulted in a loss of 39,500 residents. This, said the department, marks “the first time since the 2010 census that California has had more people leaving the state than moving in from abroad or other states.”

William Frey, a senior fellow at the Brookings Institution, said Friday’s findings follow a trend that demographers have seen over several years. While California has always seen domestic outmigration — people moving to other states — the rate has grown over the last decade.

“For some years after the Great Recession housing crunch, California was losing domestic migrants — but not as much as it could have. Now that’s starting to push up again,” Frey said.

The most common destinations for those leaving the state were Arizona, Colorado, Nevada, Oregon, Texas and Washington, he said, as the economy has picked up throughout the west and other parts of the country. Aside from a lower cost of living, some Californians are drawn to areas with no state income tax.

According to the Department of Finance, the bulk of those affected by the fire relocated to nearby cities in Butte or surrounding counties, including Colusa, Glenn, Plumas, Sutter, Tehama and Yuba. Four of these counties, in fact, were listed among the top 10 with the highest population growth rates. Beyond these exceptions, however, the statewide rate of population growth is shrinking .

Dowell Myers, an expert in demographics at USC, said the population growth in California has been slowing down for three years. The state recovered from the recession, he said, but as things have “perked up” in California, not everyone has felt the benefits.

“Jobs are getting better, but people’s recovery has turned around and gone bad,” Myers said. “I think because of housing prices. The peak millennial is turning 30 in 2020. It’s a pivotal moment and they can’t find housing. So people aren’t coming as much, and they’re leaving here more.”

Myers noted that a big part of the lack of growth is the decline in birth rates — something he attributes to young couples’ inability to “find a nest,” or affordable housing, where they would want to raise children.

“People need to feel secure in having housing before they can start a family, " Myers said. “Other people won’t come because they have heard the news.”

He added: “We better get our act together pretty darn quick. This is as good as it’s going to get. People should be flourishing. The fact that the number of babies is going down is really worrisome.”

Los Angeles County saw a 17% decline in the amount of children in the area over the last decade, Myers said.

“We are worse off and we have the best economy,” he said.

ADVERTISEMENT
“It’s not sustainable,” Myers added. “I think we need to have enough housing for workers to live in and for people to start families. Older people have the right to stay in their houses, but we need to make room for the young people or else we will turn into a retirement city by the sea.”

MusicMan

« Reply #25 on: March 02, 2020, 09:30:42 AM »
I did not say they did not have a homeless problem. And we need to stop comparing Jacksonville to places like San Francisco and Miami.

In Jacksonville we put up a prime downtown parcel and get 2 bids, one of whom wants the land for free. That's not the case in San Francisco. It's thriving in many ways, and seriously struggling in others. But the truth is that is the history of the city, way back to the Gold Rush. It's similar to Vancouver. A city with tremendous natural gifts but one that still struggles with a large and ornery homeless population. That has not deterred people with resources from wanting to move there.

I'm curious if Simms, who just returned, was able to buy a place 7 years ago, and if so what the return on that investment was.

I-10east

« Reply #26 on: March 02, 2020, 01:10:14 PM »
^^^It seems like we can only compare Jax to a city like San Fran to highlight Jax's weaknesses; Why can't it be vice-versa? All I was saying is that many would implement a double standard if Jax was going through all of the problems San Fran currently is.

With Cali, mainly the middle class is fleeing/fled. Immigration change from over the border is the main reason why Cali has sustained net-positive population. Unlike Illinois, and increasingly the state of New York which have population losses. Florida blazed by New York in population, and it's no looking back; FL is hot, and NY state is not.

New York will be the next Illinois concerning population loss. Overlooked Upstate New York and much of Hudson Valley is suffering with population losses, and New York City has enacted insane policies; bail reform sounds good on paper (releasing people with low level crimes) but NYC are also releasing violent criminals (subway train robbers, DUI manslaughter, and all kinds of other heinous crimes). Also in NYC illegals basically have a license to do whatever they please (kill people or whatever).

So because of INSANE LEFTIST POLICIES (yes it's political) decent law abiding people of every race and ethnicity are fleeing these incompetent far left states for states that are business friendly, more centrist opposed to the left deep end, more safe, more affordable, less taxed up the ass, and more free.       
« Last Edit: March 02, 2020, 05:59:42 PM by I-10east »

bl8jaxnative

« Reply #27 on: March 02, 2020, 01:18:40 PM »

no-no, queer bums and homeless freaks.

acme54321

« Reply #28 on: March 02, 2020, 10:39:46 PM »
I've been to San Francisco once.  Saw a homeless guy wandering down a busy sidewalk come to a stop, drop throu, let it all hang out and piss all over the place.  Middle of the afternoon.

Also saw a car with shit on the bumper/ground below it where someone had sat on it to take a dump.

It's definitely a thing.  Wouldn't stop me from going back though.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2020, 10:42:03 PM by acme54321 »

I-10east

« Reply #29 on: March 02, 2020, 11:15:11 PM »
^^^You are being a realist, that's all that I ask. I never said that people shouldn't visit San Francisco. I think that San Francisco is a stunningly beautiful city that's being eroded by it's own city government.