Author Topic: San Francisco  (Read 3191 times)

Non-RedNeck Westsider

• Politically Agnostic
San Francisco
« on: February 26, 2020, 12:00:51 PM »
It looks like the peasant is heading west!

My brother is flying there from Guam and we made plans to spend a few days together, but....   he didn't check the calendar very well.

We're supposed to meet the week after Mother's day.  Any of you with wives/gfs can probably understand that if you're planning a guy's trip across the country anytime near that date, then some flowers and brunch just isn't going to cut it.

So I figured I'd just extend the trip another few days, and spend the first part of the trip with her, work remotely for a few days and then let the party commence.

Since I've never been, I'm open for some inside info about the area that I can't get from Yelp & Google.

And yes, there is reciprocation - I already have this beauty locked up for a few days to putter around Alcatraz and get some views of the Golden Gate Bridge, I just hope the weather stays above 60.

A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.
-Douglas Adams

fieldafm

• Editor
Re: San Francisco
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2020, 01:06:53 PM »
Mission District has plenty of places to eat/drink. Good, walkable spot (Mission and Valencia are the main commercial areas). When in the Mission... head a few blocks over to 18th Street to Bi-Rite.... not only a great grocery store, they have a pretty amazing ice cream shop.
Flour and Water, Tartine and La Taqueria are also favs.

Dogpatch is trying to be the new Mission District now, 3rd St is the main commercial artery (bonus that you have quite a few waterfront drinking holes).

Skip Fisherman's Wharf, and go to Ferry Building instead.

Not baseball season yet, but one of my favorite things to do was grab 4-5 beers at 21st Amendment and then walk over to a Giants game.

You can easily spend an entire day hiking/walking around Golden Gate Park and Presidio.

One thing I miss are the true Chinese/Cantonese restaurants.. Z&Y in the Embarcadero, Hakka (near Golden Gate Park on Richmond side) and Terra Cotta (near Golden Gate Park on Sunset side) are some of the bigger names to recommend. But, even the mundane looking walkups you'll see everywhere are for the most part, serve something that is hard to find in Jax (or Florida, for that matter).

You will be cold out on the water, like bone chilling cold.

:Edit, just saw Mothers Day comment.... baseball and slightly less cold boat weather awaits you. The wind out on the Bay is just something that was a shock to this Florida-bred boater.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2020, 01:11:09 PM by fieldafm »

Captain Zissou

« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2020, 02:13:41 PM »
Go over to Sausalito across the bay.  Fun little town on the water with some great dining options.  The hiking is awesome and also just on the other side of the bridge.  The Dipsea trail is difficult in spots, but beautiful and not at all like Florida hiking.  Go eat at Louis' on Point Lobos Ave.  It's just a little breakfast diner, but you get to watch whales playing out in the mouth of the bay and watch the fog roll in or out. For $10, it's a surreal experience.  If you want the same view but 8 times the price.... go to Cliff House.

sandyshoes

« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2020, 06:11:58 PM »
Pleeeease...add "Lights" by Journey to your playlist and listen to it while you're near/on the Bay,  and sing it at the top of your lungs after a beverage or three. 

BridgeTroll

• Global Moderator
  • The average person thinks he isnt
    • London Bridge Pub
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2020, 07:08:34 AM »
It once was my favorite city.  I lived in San Jose and explored SF often. I visited a few years ago and found it pretty disgusting. The vistas are beautiful but up close and personal... no thank you.   :(
In a boat at sea one of the men began to bore a hole in the bottom of the boat. On being remonstrating with, he answered, "I am only boring under my own seat." "Yes," said his companions, "but when the sea rushes in we shall all be drowned with you."

downtownbrown

« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2020, 10:11:30 AM »
Go to Swans.  Get the crab louie. 

Go to Buena Vista.  Get an Irish Coffee.

vicupstate

"The problem with quotes on the internet is you can never be certain they're authentic." - Abraham Lincoln

I-10east

« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2020, 06:58:39 PM »
It once was my favorite city.  I lived in San Jose and explored SF often. I visited a few years ago and found it pretty disgusting. The vistas are beautiful but up close and personal... no thank you.   :(

SF always to my knowledge always was very liberal with the LGBT etc; SF's municipal government (on the left) once was sane, and had standards of decency. SF is a paradise lost. 
« Last Edit: February 27, 2020, 07:13:30 PM by I-10east »

MusicMan

« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2020, 08:43:02 PM »
Some of my friends went there recently and only had good things to say. I look forward to what  NRW has to say.

I went many years ago, had a good time, but I remember taking public transportation ONCE and it was not a pleasant experience.

Non-RedNeck Westsider

• Politically Agnostic
« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2020, 09:03:05 PM »
Thanks everyone for the comments.

I'm not really sure what to expect, but I've got a lot of ideas rolling around. 

Here's kind of the hit-list: 

I love boating under the Jax bridges and around Charleston, so just going over and under the GGB is going to be badass.  We'll def hit up the park as well - a part of me wants to be there and watch the fog roll in.
Might see Alcatraz; might just go around the island.  We'll see how it goes.
As a woodworker, it's going to be incredible to walk around in the redwood forests. 
Not a hippie so Haight Ashbury isn't really a huge draw.
Will probably spend a day wandering through galleries and eating our way through the day and doing some typical touristy type things.
Giants game will definitely happen, probably with my better half since she loves baseball (if you find one of those, don't let them go)
When little bro gets there, there will be a round or two of golf played and we're going to spend a couple days at the PGA Championship in addition to the normal shenanigans that 3 brothers who haven't seen each other in a couple years will get into - might have some adult beverages and see who can make it down Lombard St first and still on their feet/wheels.

Other than that, I'll be cooped up in a hotel room Mon-Thur working like normal.   Same job, just a different view out of the window.
A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.
-Douglas Adams

Captain Zissou

« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2020, 09:40:05 AM »
Napa/Sonoma is also a pretty easy drive if the Mrs. wants some Wine.  Both are about an hour away in light traffic.  We went to 3 or 4 Wineries, ate lunch in Sonoma, and drove back by 5 pm.

Non-RedNeck Westsider

• Politically Agnostic
« Reply #11 on: February 28, 2020, 12:15:53 PM »
Napa/Sonoma is also a pretty easy drive if the Mrs. wants some Wine.  Both are about an hour away in light traffic.  We went to 3 or 4 Wineries, ate lunch in Sonoma, and drove back by 5 pm.

I'd enjoy that more than she would - allergic to sulfites....

Considered a French Laundry tasting menu until I saw the price....  $1k for two is a little more than I want to spend for 10-12 tiny plates.

I'll definitely be happier and more in my element grabbing bites in the many little shops we see walking around. 

Can anyone give me a comparison of SF to say... Charleston's restaurant scene?  (One of my favorite places to practice gluttony)
-Douglas Adams

downtownbrown

« Reply #12 on: February 28, 2020, 02:15:36 PM »
If you like bridges and views, cross the GGB and drive up to Mount Tamalpais.  Breathtaking.  As a boater, take the ferry from SF to Sausalito. 

jaxlongtimer

« Reply #13 on: February 28, 2020, 09:47:46 PM »
Here is part of my list:
-Coit Tower
-Cable car museum
-Taking the cable car uphill from the turnaround at the waterfront.  You need to pick up the cable cars at the beginning of a route as they are usually full after that making it nearly impossible to get on one mid-route.
-Union Square, St. Francis and Fairmont Hotels (was featured in the Aaron Spelling TV series, "Hotel" in the mid-1980's).  Unfortunately, Gumps Dept. store (the "Macy's of SF"), closed last year after 157 years.
-Walking the waterfront from the Presidio (old fortress around the base of the Golden Gate Bridge) to Pier 39.  Along the way, their is a maritime museum and Ghiradelli Square.  You can also walk up to an overlook at the south end of the bridge that gives a great view and provides some history of the bridge and its engineering.
-Driving down Lombard Street (that's the crooked street in all the movies)
-Golden Gate Park (not to be confused with Golden Gate National Recreation area) including the Japanese Tea Garden and Conservatory
-Muir Woods
-Skyline Blvd. that runs at the peak of the ridge separating the Pacific from SF Bay.  Great views in all directions and its all in preserved lands.
-Pacific Heights
-Driving Half Moon Bay to Pescadero Beach  (FYI, the road from Pescadero Beach back to I-5 goes through a redwood forest!)
-Go up to one of the overlooks in the portion of Golden Gate National Recreation area on the NORTH WEST side of the Golden Gate Bridge at sunset & look over the Pacific while also looking down on the Golden Gate Bridge, SF Bay and the City of SF.  Single most spectacular view I have found of the Bay area.  Same exit as Sausalito which has some nice views of SF from its waterfront too.  One idea: Eat in Sausalito on the waterfront after the sunset at the Recreation Area for some great SF city night lights!
-FYI, if you change your mind on renting a boat, there are plenty of tour boats that take you to or around Alcatraz and under the Golden Gate Bridge.  Expect to see seals and bring warm clothing as it's cold and often windy over the water year round.
-Like any major city, walking as much of it as you can is the best way to take it all in (I suggest walking down the steeper hills and taking transit back up  8) ).  Might include the financial district that has the Transamerica Building and Wells Fargo's HQ's with a WF Stage Coach in the lobby (at least when I last visited).  Parking in SF is outrageously expensive assuming you can even find a spot at those prices.  BART and buses are pretty good based on my experience.
-The SF Bay area has lots of micro-climates.  It can be sunny and blue skies in one spot and a few thousand feet away it can be foggy or cloudy.
- If you had the time, there is much more to see and do including a couple of days at Yosemite (about 4 to 5 hours away, reservations a must if you plan to stay overnight which I strongly recommend - maybe more if you could handle it and get it), driving the coast to Big Sur and San Simeon (the Hearst Castle), driving through Silicon Valley (SF to San Jose)  which includes Stanford U. , Napa and Sonoma Valley and Lake Tahoe.  Like any great spot, you probably will want to make multiple visits to take it all in  8).
« Last Edit: February 28, 2020, 10:11:20 PM by jaxlongtimer »

Florida Power And Light

« Reply #14 on: February 28, 2020, 11:50:55 PM »
A wonderful area, region.Gets a bad Rap, which is perfect De- Promotion.
That’s where I would move to if not Here.
Great OP that you will be running your boat. Take a photo of the Bridge looking up from underneath, aboard your boat.
Consider a boat explore run at the Delta area.
Gain new appreciation for Florida Boating.