Author Topic: Publix - East San Marco  (Read 18931 times)

Captain Zissou

Re: Publix - East San Marco
« Reply #90 on: December 09, 2020, 09:09:36 AM »
I'm afraid the remaining oak trees will soon be gone.
So you complain when it gets delayed and now that construction is underway you mourn the loss of an oak tree?  I'm sure you're well aware that the project has been in the works for 15 years.  At any time during that decade and a half you could have mobilized the community to save the trees.

MusicMan

« Reply #91 on: December 09, 2020, 09:28:25 AM »
Good morning Capt.  I just think it's a shame any time a beautiful older oak gets removed... Publix/Regency should have been hosting a weekend Farmers market at this site the last 15 years, then we'd already be in the habit of getting produce and other items here.

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #92 on: December 09, 2020, 09:48:47 AM »
100% sure there was never a plan in any previous East San Marco concept that would have saved a tree in the middle of the site. Yet, they'll install several trees by the time the project is completed. Publix just signed a lease recently. When they open, people will quickly get in the habit of going there as opposed to driving further down Atlantic, Hendricks or Philips.
"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.” - Muhammad Ali

Bativac

« Reply #93 on: December 10, 2020, 02:20:32 PM »
So are you saying the site has a clean environmental report?

I don't think there has ever been a use of the site that would generate environmental issues.  The eastern block was originally residences before the bank.  There may have been a gas station at the corner of Hendricks/Atlantic back in the day.

There was a gas station there for many years, a Baron gas station as I recall, but that was taken out probably over 20 years ago. Surely they cleaned most of it up way back then.

sandyshoes

« Reply #94 on: December 11, 2020, 08:44:32 AM »
After (how many years, now?) I'm kind of surprised that Publix hasn't just cancelled the deal.  I guess they have more faith than I do that there's going to be a store there someday. 

Captain Zissou

« Reply #95 on: December 11, 2020, 09:03:53 AM »
After (how many years, now?) I'm kind of surprised that Publix hasn't just cancelled the deal.  I guess they have more faith than I do that there's going to be a store there someday. 

Why?  They aren't out any money until the shell is delivered and no one else is going to put a store in one of the most affluent neighborhoods in Jacksonville.  Unless a store was going to go into the district, there is nowhere else to put it. Once it's built, they pay build out costs, then pay rent, but they will make plenty of money...  Why would they just walk away from money because it's taking a while?

Steve

• The Jaxson
« Reply #96 on: December 11, 2020, 09:07:45 AM »
^To that point, there isn't another site like that one in San Marco.

Captain Zissou

« Reply #97 on: December 11, 2020, 09:16:38 AM »
Publix serves the southeast US.  That's not an area known for large cities and dense populations.  A dense, affluent, urban neighborhood in a metro of 1.5M people should be a priority market for Publix especially knowing the barriers to entry for a competing store are so high due to the land constraints.  When the deal was first considered the concept may have been more foreign to them, but as Miami, south florida, and Atlanta have densified, this model has become more common.  Regency has a center with the same structure in Aventura, so they are also familiar with a pedestal store over parking. So for Publix's sake, the delay may have helped them be able to build a better store.

acme54321

« Reply #98 on: December 11, 2020, 02:42:07 PM »
Activity still having up.  They were out there pulling up all of the old pavement and there were a bunch of JEA guys doing a site walk when I went by.

bl8jaxnative

« Reply #99 on: February 08, 2021, 03:22:26 PM »

They've got some trenches dug.  Maybe just cuz it's fun digging in the dirt.  Or maybe they're for the foundation(s)?

jcjohnpaint

• Jason John- www.jasonjohnart.com
    • Jason John Website
« Reply #100 on: February 08, 2021, 04:51:58 PM »
I think they are starting with the sewage infrastructure/ from what I heard. 

acme54321

« Reply #101 on: February 08, 2021, 08:35:02 PM »

Looks like storm water.  They were prepping the pad for the Publix last week.  It all looks like typical sitework...

MusicMan

« Reply #102 on: February 08, 2021, 10:36:42 PM »
Aldi opening in 3 weeks.

Peter Griffin

« Reply #103 on: February 09, 2021, 08:21:36 AM »

This is the first thing to be built on every construction project.

jaxlongtimer

« Reply #104 on: February 09, 2021, 11:59:01 AM »

Why?  They aren't out any money until the shell is delivered and no one else is going to put a store in one of the most affluent neighborhoods in Jacksonville.  Unless a store was going to go into the district, there is nowhere else to put it. Once it's built, they pay build out costs, then pay rent, but they will make plenty of money...  Why would they just walk away from money because it's taking a while?

Seeing no activity at the Fla. Baptist Convention site on Hendricks at I-95, if I were that developer, I would reconsider apartments only there.  Maybe that site is large enough to put an Aldi or Trader Joes smaller-style grocer on a second floor with residential above.  Based on Google map measurements, you may actually be able to match the Publix store size if you leave off the other retail buildings going in around the Publix store.