Author Topic: Two Dudes Seafood Riverside closed  (Read 3229 times)

riverside_mail

Two Dudes Seafood Riverside closed
« on: February 10, 2020, 04:10:02 PM »
In case you haven’t noticed (and judging by attendance, many of you haven’t), Two Dudes shut down this past weekend. Opening in it’s place will be One Bar and Lounge.

Peter Griffin

Re: Two Dudes Seafood Riverside closed
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2020, 04:26:58 PM »
It didn't seem very popular at all. I stopped in once to get a drink at the bar. I liked Il Desco, but went there very infrequently since it was so much more expensive than other local eateries.

Hopefully they get the next restaurant right in that space. it is a nice space in a cool location, afterall

Dolph1975

« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2020, 04:37:18 PM »
Not much of a loss here, IMO.  I’ve been there twice and the food quality did not warrant what they charged for it, not to mention the fact that I got sick after I ate there the first time.  Hopefully the next tenant will compliment the area well!

Florida Power And Light

« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2020, 05:52:46 PM »
Tried hard to patronize, soon after opening it was apparent there would be a closing.
Far too expensive, and the old seating along the wall was uncomfortable.
The entire layout was designed to accommodate more people, seemed out of place.

acme54321

« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2020, 07:53:04 PM »
I'm SHOCKED.

Non-RedNeck Westsider

• Politically Agnostic
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2020, 09:50:26 PM »
Until the liquor licensing laws get changed, this will continue to be a regular cycle for everyplace that has meh food.

This was a huge topic of discussion this past weekend as I ate my way through Charleston.

A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.
-Douglas Adams

Peter Griffin

« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2020, 10:13:44 AM »
Until the liquor licensing laws get changed, this will continue to be a regular cycle for everyplace that has meh food.

What about the liquor license affects the bottom line of a place like this? I'm not making a connection but am interested in what you mean

Steve

• The Jaxson
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2020, 10:25:37 AM »

This was a huge topic of discussion this past weekend as I ate my way through Charleston.

Are you talking about the minimum seating fur a 4COP license? It's now 100 in the commercial character areas of Riverside and Avondale. Standard number is 150

RiversideRambler

« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2020, 11:19:36 AM »
Opening in it’s place will be One Bar and Lounge.

Any more info on the replacement?

aubureck

« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2020, 02:09:11 PM »
My family is a huge fan of Two Dude's Seafood.  However, their Riverside location was sub par at best.  We've never seen the location busy and it always takes a long time to get our food even when we're the only diners.  The cook launched into an expletive tirade at the waitress when she went to ask about our food (after it had been an hour) and you could hear it in the restaurant and the poor server was in tears, it was ridiculous.  I hope the next tenant has better luck.
The Urban Planner

riverside_mail

« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2020, 09:11:52 PM »
Opening in it’s place will be One Bar and Lounge.

Any more info on the replacement?

Nope. That’s all the info available. If I find out anything else, I’ll post it for you.

MusicMan

« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2020, 10:10:57 PM »
From Pele's former GM/Owner: New tenant is previous owner of Toscana in San Marco ...Says he's gonna do some Italian."... We shall see.

Non-RedNeck Westsider

• Politically Agnostic
« Reply #12 on: February 12, 2020, 01:27:00 AM »
Are you talking about the minimum seating fur a 4COP license? It's now 100 in the commercial character areas of Riverside and Avondale. Standard number is 150

Yes.  100 is better, but IMO it still needs to go down in order to incorporate it into the smaller storefronts that are commonly available in the area.

Was Murray Hill covered in this?  Would make a huge difference in future development along Edgewood.

What about the liquor license affects the bottom line of a place like this? I'm not making a connection but am interested in what you mean

The profit margin on liquor alone can float a business, and with the lack of profit margin on most food dishes, it can be the difference between a place actually turning a profit or losing money.

Nobody has a huge problem dropping $12-$18 each on craft cocktails or $6 on a craft beer, but if a place charges $30 for an entree, people lose their minds if the food isn't top-notch.  It's just the nature of the business.
A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.
-Douglas Adams

Des

« Reply #13 on: February 12, 2020, 07:08:55 AM »
Murray Hill is included, it's called the J-2 Bill. You can download it here https://www.coj.net/departments/duval-legislative-delegation/local-bills under 2017, which includes Riverside/Avondale as well). It only lists each parcel's legal description, so it may be hard to navigate.

Steve

• The Jaxson
« Reply #14 on: February 12, 2020, 10:27:56 AM »
Murray Hill is included, it's called the J-2 Bill. You can download it here https://www.coj.net/departments/duval-legislative-delegation/local-bills under 2017, which includes Riverside/Avondale as well). It only lists each parcel's legal description, so it may be hard to navigate.

Good to hear this was done; I actually didn't realize this (I was on the RAP board when the two Riverside Avondale areas were added).

Overall Areas included:
 - All of the Downtown Northbank (Including Brooklyn and LaVilla, and everything south of State Street/Mathews Expressway, with a little notch north of the Mathews west of MLK)
 - Southbank (though someone else can try to interpret the borders)
 - Riverside Avondale "Urban Transition Area", which is bordered roughly by Margaret Street, I-95, and the river (if you look at a map this makes sense.
 - All Riverside Avondale "Commercial Character Areas", which is Five Points, Park and King, Stockton Street north of College, Shoppes of Avondale, Park and Dancy (where Orsay is), and a couple very small areas.
 - Murray Hill
 - Springfield

(someone else can figure out the exact borders of Murray Hill and Springfield's areas).

Personally, I'd love to replace this with something that incorporated the entire city so long as the underlying zoning supported a restaurant/bar. It's a pain to edit this thing, as it requires a vote by Council, then by the State, then another vote back at Council.